• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    started reloading for the garand and her's where im at:
    Ive got an 8 lb keg of H335. ive loaded 8 rounds with 150 grn over 27 gr to start and test load. everything went really well, but ive noticed there was a delay when firing. now ive read where others have had a similar problem like this and ive heard a few different options. one was to use magnum primers and the other was to use a filler. According to Ammosmith, using polyfill from walmart works good. anyone use the polyfill method? i know i can get different powder, but for right now, im using what i have available.
    Hurley's Gold

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Ok, there are specific loads for Garands put out by Sierra but a quick look at Hodgdon's site yields this for H335 with a 150gr bullet:

150 GR. NOS BT
    Hodgdon
    H335
    .308"
    3.250"
    42,500 CUP
    49,200 CUP

What exactly are you trying to do because the starting load they recommend is 20 grains over yours. If you want a low velocity round with very little recoil, I would recommend using Trail Boss, otherwise get your starting load up where it belongs by looking at reputable load manuals and sources. You post gives us little to go on.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    I don't know why I typed 27 when it should have been 47 grains for my start load. Really just looking for an accurate load with what I have.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Keep in mind the Garand uses a pretty specific pressure curve to function right. Too high a port pressure can bend the op rod, requiring a replacement. There are a lot of options when loading for a bolt rifle and H335 might be fine but (and I haven't checked my manual yet) I don't think it's appropriate for a Garand. I'd really suggest reading up in the new Hornady manual because I think they have a new section dedicated to loading for the Garand. I know I only use IMR4895 for that specific rifle. Here's a few good books on loading for the Garand: exterior ballistics

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Keep in mind the Garand uses a pretty specific pressure curve to function right. Too high a port pressure can bend the op rod, requiring a replacement. There are a lot of options when loading for a bolt rifle and H335 might be fine but (and I haven't checked my manual yet) I don't think it's appropriate for a Garand. I'd really suggest reading up in the new Hornady manual because I think they have a new section dedicated to loading for the Garand. I know I only use IMR4895 for that specific rifle. Here's a few good books on loading for the Garand: exterior ballistics

Second on the IMR 4895. That is a great powder for the '06.

I generally use the H335 for 223 and some other smaller rifle rounds.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I dug through my reloading records and found an article written for American Rifleman in March 1986 called, "Reloading for the M1 Rifle". Let me quote: "..To attain usable port pressures in a .30-06 M1 requires the use of a powder with a relative quickness between IMR 3031 (the quickest) and IMR 4320 (the slowest). Powders that are "faster" than IMR 3032 will not develop useful velocities within safe pressure levels. Powders slower than IMR 4320 can develop useful velocities but generally develop excessive port pressures. "

H335 falls between those two powders, very close to IMR 3031. The article doesn't list a load for H335, but says, "...Hodgdon's BL-C(2) and H-335.. will give performance about like that of Win. 748 Ball." The article does have loads for 3031, 4895, 4064,Win 748, 4320, and H4895. According to Hodgdon, IMR and H 4895 and were originally used in the military .30-06, so it's no surprise that medalguy and deemus would note it as a good choice.

As for using a magnum primer, I don't think that's going to help you at all. None of these powders require a magnum primer to work effectively and you could end up with higher pressure than you expect.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I load for my M1 with Varget. I also second the recommendation of acquiring the new Hornady loading manual as it as listings for all 3 of the popular service rifles.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    sorry for the delay, i loaded some up with h335 and had a little bit of a delay when firing. i read about that so i was kinda expecting it. purchased a pound of 4895. firied great, no problems at all. any luck with win748?

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    sorry for the delay, i loaded some up with h335 and had a little bit of a delay when firing. i read about that so i was kinda expecting it. purchased a pound of 4895. firied great, no problems at all. any luck with win748?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Never used the 748 for my 06. Usually only use it for my 308. Plus, after I shot a sub-1 inch group with the IMR 4895 in my 06, that load is all I ever load for it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    47gr of 4895 with a 150gr bullet duplicates M2 ball and same charge with 168gr SMK duplicates the M72 match load.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    After I received my M1, I called Hodgdon and discussed reloading for the M1 with one of their people. He recommended 43 to 47 grains of H4895 with the 168 Sierra MatchKing bullets I already had on hand. I went with the 47 grain load, and my M1 shoots it very well. I am getting 5 shot groups of about 3 inches at 50 yards with the open sights and my 64 year old eyes. The guy at Hodgdon also recommended using 50 grains of H4895 with 150 grain bullets.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I try hard not to beat my head against a wall and re-inventing good loads for the 30-06 seems like a lost cause. IMR 4895 is the classic powder for 30-06 and trying to improve on that is well.......not worth the effort for me.

I shot with military match shooters for years. One of them (shooter) was 77 and a retired Marine Competition shooter. The only way any of us could beat him was if he screwed up! One time he forgot his AR-15 bolt & carrier and another time, he brought the wrong ammo to the match! I beat him both times and I'll take that win no matter how I got it! The SOB was impossible to beat, otherwise!

Shooter gave me his USMC marksmanship instruction manuals and I picked his brains constantly. I have Emails from him in front of me as I type this so I'll share what he said.

The USMC 30-06 shooters used IMR 4895 and sometimes H4895 which he said was hotter but still within rifle specs. I have never loaded H4895 personally. In the winter matches, they switched to 748 powder but he didn't say why.

Looking at the powder burn chart, 748 is nine powders faster than IMR 4895 and my guess would be for cold climates, that worked better. I have always loaded IMR4895 in 30-06 and I'm not inclined to re-invent the wheel.

Hope that helps!

Flash

btp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Houston
    I started with IMR 4895 and never found a reason not to stick with it. I do like H4895 as it has great flexibility in assembling reduced power loads for a number of calibers.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Deemus: how does it work in your 308?

Dude. I just saw this. Sorry.

748 was developed for the 308 round by Winchester. So it shoots great. I have a round I load that gets me 3/4" groups at 100 yds.

I loaded 4 groups of rounds, all a half grain of powder apart. Then shot each group (5 rounds) at its own target. The load with the tightest grouping is the one I now load. I do that for every gun I shoot.

I used to just pick a load and go with it. But I read an article about a guy doing that method and decided to try it. I have been beyond happy with the results.

It's crazy how a half grain of powder affects the performance. Using multiple loads allows you to find the load your particular gun likes.

Top Bottom