• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I was bumming around Academy hoping to find a cheap grippod, one of those grip handles that has a drop down bipod inside it. I just wanted something to throw on the front of my ARs with quad rails for bench work. My sandbags just don't cut it very well for pistol grip rifles.

Academy didn't have anything to offer like that but I did find this little gem. The XTS Tactical Bipod. I knew right away it was going to be good because it has tactical right in the name..........

It is built around a Picatinny rail mount, just like I was looking for. The nice thing is it also comes with an adapter to mount it to your front sling mount on a standard rifle stock. The adapter mounts to the sling stud and adds a short section of Picatinny rail, and the bipod mounts to it. You could use them seperately also if you have a rifle with a sling stud and needed a section of rail for a light or laser. When you add this adapter it also adds another sling stud so you could add a light and still use a sling.

The bipod itself is a short leg version, the legs are only about 7 1/2" when extended. Short and compact but tall enough to clear the pistol grip and a 30 round "high capacity assault clip".

The construction of the bipod is very well done for something in this price range. The springs are tight and the legs lock in very stable. There is no wiggle in the legs when deployed or folded. The $45 versions sold at Walmart leave something to be desired in this catagory.

The legs lock automatically when extended and also have the tension wheel tighteners for adjusting to heights inbetween or for leveling purposes.

This is a lot of bipod for the money in my opinion. If you are looking for a value priced bipod give these a look. I would buy this model over the Walmart version every time, especially at 2/3 the price.

The packaging

9aruteza.jpg

The bipod mounted with legs retracted

asupe7er.jpg

And extended

ha7eba6e.jpg

And folded up. It is a very compact bipod

etepapet.jpg

True, it isn't an Atlas or other high end bipod, but it is a very good product for the money.
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks for the review.

How does group size compare to a ruck or a pile of sandbags?

I can't honestly compare the two. I am not a good enough shooter to notice any inconsistency (yet).

One thing I do know is that a bipod needs to allow free recoil of the rifle. This is where a high dollar bipod or sandbags excel. They give an inch or more of back and forth movement before binding up. These cheap bipods lock up the legs to the back with spring tension. If you try to move the rifle the rubber bipod feet skip and jump. This is not conducive to good groups.

That being said, I loosened the springs up on my long range rifle cheapy Walmart bipod. Now the bipod has some free movement while deployed but still folds up tight. I am going to test it out today.

It appears my spring loosening technique will work on this bipod also but I haven't done it yet. But with it having shorter legs and springs it may not work as well.

The fold up spring wedges a ring around the leg of the bipod. If you take some pliers and take some tension off the spring you can slide the ring up to loosen the spring tension. It takes about a half inch of slack to allow the legs to move freely but still hold the legs up tight when folded.

Top Bottom