• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Ptex

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2024
    ATX
    Short version is wife asked for EDC gun, went around town together and looked at a bunch and she says S&W Shield Plus is her preferred choice based on hand feel alone. Was set on 9mm before discovering there is a new caliber option that seems to make sense for this role. I know the cost is higher but not terrible. I imagine less recoil for this caliber and more seeds in the clip are all a good thing without losing effectiveness.

Any reason not to get the new cal for her gun?
    Venture Surplus ad

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Short version is wife asked for EDC gun, went around town together and looked at a bunch and she says S&W Shield Plus is her preferred choice based on hand feel alone. Was set on 9mm before discovering there is a new caliber option that seems to make sense for this role. I know the cost is higher but not terrible. I imagine less recoil for this caliber and more seeds in the clip are all a good thing without losing effectiveness.

Another caliber to hunt for. It'll be next to the 45 GAP.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Many. I'd start with the lack of relatively inexpensive practice ammo if you don't reload. Or even if you do.

BTW, 30SC is something of a running joke on this forum. Expect non-serious answers intended to be funny. There will be serious answers, too, but you might have to dig to figure out which is which.

Ptex

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2024
    ATX
    BTW, 30SC is something of a running joke on this forum. Expect non-serious answers intended to be funny. There will be serious answers, too, but you might have to dig to figure out which is which.

I appreciate the heads up hahaha, kinda expected that.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Many. I'd start with the lack of relatively inexpensive practice ammo if you don't reload. Or even if you do.

A joke?

A JOKE?!?!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    When it comes to 9mm in a subcompact, I think a lot of people have a negative impression or perception of the recoil based on using 115gr ball when renting a gun to try it out.

In addition to just hand feel, I encourage most people to find a range with a rental program that has the desired gun in the desired caliber and run a box thru it. Hand feel is great, but finding out after the fact the shooting experience sucks usually results in no practice and that’s the worst thing some can do with a gun that’s intended to be used in a defensive shooting.

Most range ammo will be 115gr 9mm. In most subcompacts, a 147gr round will offer improved performance and a different recoil impulse that usually results in ‘less’ perceived recoil. When I ended up with a P365XL, it was after shooting the Shield, Shield+, P365, P365 SAS, a P239, and an LCP. Ergonomically, the Shield+ was great. Then I shot it and realized something wasn’t right. The P365 suck ergonomically, but I found a WC grip module for the XL and that fixed the ergos and suddenly the XL became a better shooting experience.

But if I was debating between 9mm and 30SuperCrap, I’d also be looking at .380ACP as a viable caliber. Some of the modern JHP offerings in .380ACP are effective enough.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    9mm all the way.

One of the 30SC’s big selling points is extra round capacity. This it does but only by one or two rounds. Modern hi-cap 9’s carry quite a few rounds already. One or two more really doesn’t mean much.
    The 30SC gets its ballistic performance from very high chamber pressure. The resulting muzzle blast, flash, concussion is unpleasant, especially in an enclosed space such as an indoor range. Said bluntly it is an obnoxious thing to fire.
    Ammo selection is limited. 9mm beats this all to heck. 9mm has dozens of bullet types and brands available. You can even go to +P if you just gotta.
    You’re going to want to shoot the thing. Go with the more practical caliber.
    Resale: good luck or selling or trading a 30SC.

Top Bottom