• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have found a renewed interest in the 32 Smith & Wesson Long.

I'm currently loading for several H&R revolvers (632 & 732). Using Unique and a hard cast 100 GR DEWC, I am pleased with the results so far. I figure I'm getting about 800 FPS with no signs of high pressure. The cases freely fall out of the cylinder after firing. In both the 2" snubby and 4" revolver these rounds ring the gong with much more authority than a high velocity 22 long rifle.

This venture started as an attempt to find a snubby revolver with acceptable penetration and minimal recoil for my girlfriend to carry in the woods. The 2" 632 with these loads may actually work.

After an attempt to school her on the NAA .22 1", I knew I had to go with something else. It was dangerous to be anywhere near her when she was attempting to fire that thing.

I've also developed a shot load for the 32 Long. Using about 50 grains of #12 shot and a small amount of Unique, with a plastic wad over the powder and another over the shot - followed by a nice crimp. As a final gesture I put a drop of Elmer's wood glue on the top wad. I get a decent pattern at 12 to 15 ft. Minute of pie-plate. It should do well on the slimy, poisonous critters that crawl on the ground.

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Pics.

First pic: Crimped loads.

Second pic: Looking down at the plastic wad on a loaded shot shell cartridge.

Third pic: a dab of Elmer's to hold things in place.

Attachments

• 20220316_143840.jpg
      20220316_143840.jpg
      192.5 KB · Views: 63
    • 20220316_143811~2.jpg
      20220316_143811~2.jpg
      167.2 KB · Views: 59
    • 20220316_145114.jpg
      20220316_145114.jpg
      339.4 KB · Views: 58

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Apologies for the crappy pics. The glue dries clear. I'll post pics of the shotsells after I get another batch ready. I fired all of the prepared ones today.

I've done the same thing with .38 Special shotshells with excellent results.

The key, as far as I can tell, is the plastic wad above powder and another above the shot, with a dab of adhesive to keep everything in place without adding any significant weight or restriction.

Just passing all this along in case y'all get a wild hair and want to roll your own shotshells.

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    And this all started because I fired a few rounds of Fiocchi 98gr wad cutter factory ammo that bounced off a 2x4 and hit me!

The factory stuff is loaded to extremely low velocities due to the number of top break revolvers out there that will explode with anything more powerful.

With a solid frame revolver, H&R included, you can run the cartridge to higher levels, and do it safely.

The 98 gr wadcutters I'm loading will go completely through a 2x4.

I'm beginning to rethink my need for a Ruger Bearcat in 22wmr.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I tried some variations on the shotshells today, but was unable to get anymore than 50 gr of shot in the case while still having run for the wad.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Have a couple of Brazilian (pre Rossi) copies of the S&W J frame, in 32 S&W Long. Have used them as carry guns a couple of times, when driving to Galveston to go on a cruise. Not leaving an expensive firearm in the truck in an extended parking lot for 5 days, leaving 2 $75 revolvers isn't such a risk. Not bad shooters, either, with my handloads.I do prefer the 32 H&R, though, over the 32 S&W Long.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    All true!
    The H&R revolvers in .32 S&W Long are very concealable.
    They easily ride in a BearCat sized holster.
    I have a Single-Six in H&R Mag and a Single-Seven in .327 Federal. Both are much larger and much more expensive.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    The copies are OK, not great. Think I paid $100 for both about 20 years ago, so a little fluff and buff on them was not a big deal. I picked up a Single Six in 32 H&R about 2 months after they hit the market, been one of my favorite SAs. I did miss out on a used S&W J frame in 32 H&R at a local shop a few years back. Kick myself for not buying it as soon as I saw it. I'd rather have 6 32 H&Rs instead of 5 38 Specials!

Top Bottom