• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My understanding is that there are 2 drains.
    One to the outside, which you got, and then another into an actual inside drain tied into a sink or something.

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    If there is another house in my future, I again will not put it in the attic.
    We were at least able to get the hot water heater out of the attic which gave us one reasonably safe tornado area where we might avoid some stuff collapsing on us.
    I wanted to also mention that the same Harbor Freight vacuum pump works really well for "winterizing" our automatic watering system in addition to cleaning the condensate line.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Still recommend pouring a gallon of 50/50 mix bleach/hot water, even though you cleared it for now. This will kill the gunk that builds up in the piping.

I would recommend being careful using air pressure. Knew a guy who blew apart one of the PVC connections like that (apparently was not assembled all that well originally).

Mrvmax

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    I added pvc valves to my drain line after the drip pan. Now I can isolate to short section to the pan, connect my air line and blow it out to the drain. It keeps air from going back toward the pan.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    A little more in depth.
    I first poured in 16 oz of bleach.
    I had a catch can under the outside drain.
    It dripped for a long time.
    Meanwhile, I got the shop vac and hauled it up in the attic.
    Sucked approximately 4 gallons of water out of the drain pan.
    Holy shit! Since I had it up there, I stuck it over the vent pipe on the drain line. The gurgling and chugging action told me it was definitely moving some crap around. Then the chlorine smell got really strong.
    I hauled all that outside and drained the vac tank.
    Hooked up on the drain, as shown in picture, and went back in the attic while it was running. I plugged the vent and alternate coil drain and just heard a clear air sucking sound from in the condenser cabinet.
    The stuff in the vac tank had a snot like consistency .

After the sun moves further west, I'll repeat the procedure on the other unit.

I agree with others. I don't want anymore attic mounted appliances.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My A/C service comes out twice a year.
    They always pour their concoction into the drain pan to keep it clear.
    This is after the ceiling cave in of course .

I've been thinking about doing the same, hopefully your experience and this thread will speed up my decision, like on Tuesday.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've been thinking about doing the same, hopefully your experience and this thread will speed up my decision, like on Tuesday.
    They inspect the A/C or heater depending on the season.
    They might try to upsell stuff, but I always request the same technician, and slip him a little $ at the end, and he has always been straight with me.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    A/C maintenance/repair people are worse than ‘used car’ guys. If you can find one that’s competent AND honest, they’re worth their weight in gold!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My guys would blow compressed air through the lines but eventually, both lines got real bad after 18 years. The lines drain into the kid's bathroom double sink drains. I disconnected the Ys under the sink and due to their poor design, it was nasty and built up way further up than the Y. The fix was to use a wet vac where I duck taped the hose onto the plumbing. Even the small vac I have was able to pull that nasty stuff out.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Actually, the condendesate line is supposed to be tied into plumbing. (No outside line. The outside line is for the pop-off valve on a hot water heater.
    Not on my house.
    Though I do have the water heater pop off line also.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Actually, the condendesate line is supposed to be tied into plumbing. (No outside line. The outside line is for the pop-off valve on a hot water heater.

Actually, in most municipalities, both are required by code for AC evaporator units, re IRC:

“a secondary drain or auxiliary drain pan shall be required for each cooling or evaporator coil where damage to any building components will occur as a result of overflow from the equipment drain or stoppage in the condensate drain piping.”

This is especially true of attic mounted evaporator units.

As a builder, I put that required outside overflow pipe in a location that can't be missed; often joking with the buyer that there will come a time when you will thank me for putting it over the front door, and dripping on your head when you walk out when there is a problem ... a lot less of of an unsightly inconvenience than replacing a ceiling.

On the condensate line that runs to your sinks:

Do yourself a favor and, under the sink, cut out a small, 4" section of the PVC _before_ where the "T" fitting goes into the sink's drain, and replace that section with appropriately sized radiator hose, using hose clamps.

Next time your sink starts to clog from detritus in the condensate line it is simple matter to undo one end of that flexible radiator hose and use that for your shop vac suction or blowing with air.

In the spec's I require the plumbers to build that in, otherwise they don't usually do it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom