Gun Zone Deals

After the Storm, Who Will Pay the Cost of the Electricity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I doubt most of us know what they needed to do to prepare the system for winter but obviously the (the power companies) do because it comes out they did not winterize in order to save money.
    Lack of preparation on their part does not constitute a failure on the consumers. If they had spent a little more money to winterize, a lot of this would not have happened.

Make the companies pay for it themselves. When they take a stock hit and/or dividends, perhaps they will elect a board and get managers to prevent this in the future.

Especially since the privatization of the power system was supposed to save the consumers money. Like the new meters the customers had to pay for with all of the bells and whistles. It cost the consumers to buy them and save the companies the cost of having meter readers. Plus, it turns out that in many places, many of the bells and whistles do not work.

Reminds me of the fires in California because the Pacific Graft and Extortion, excuse me, Pacific Gas and Electric failed to keep the power lines clear of undergrowth and contributed to (if not caused all) of the fires in California.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    We will see increased rates.
    But I also use flat rate plan so the inevitable increase will be less impactful I believe. My F/R bill is 166 a mo. Before I got on the FR plan I would see 3 plus in summer months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    And that is why I used a fixed rate plan.

Read the details. Usually states it's based on the base wholesale rate of X and that can (usually doesn't) change. The rate went from $25mwh to $9000mwh this week and our fabulous state had an emergency meeting Monday night to allow them to charge us what the market demands.

So the actual power plants are gouging during a disaster which is against the law in Texas. But our state government sanctioned the gouging.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    We had Griddy for a couple years when we lived in Houston. The 1st summer we had 1 month in August that energy prices jumped really high. We had a $600 bill that month. But most the months before & after, our bill was less than $100 for 2000'sqft house.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Read the details. Usually states it's based on the base wholesale rate of X and that can (usually doesn't) change. The rate went from $25mwh to $9000mwh this week and our fabulous state had an emergency meeting Monday night to allow them to charge us what the market demands.

So the actual power plants are gouging during a disaster which is against the law in Texas. But our state government sanctioned the gouging.
    Your price may change only to reflect actual changes in
    TDSP charges, changes to the Electric Reliability Council
    of Texas or Texas Regional Entity administrative fees
    charged to loads, or changes resulting from federal, state
    or local laws or regulatory actions that impose new or
    modified fees or costs on Discount Power that are beyond
    our control.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX

Do you think Paxton has enough ballz to look into this and say "no"? Just because some puked (PUCoT) assholes agreed to rape us doesn't mean that the government should stand by idly and watch.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Mine is an average based on previous yrs usage. May change some due to rate but I wont feel it as bad as others.
    Gets reevaluated each yr. June iirc.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    We will see increased rates.
    But I also use flat rate plan so the inevitable increase will be less impactful I believe. My F/R bill is 166 a mo. Before I got on the FR plan I would see 3 plus in summer months.

I am in a co-op, they put this out today:

We have had members inquiring about a rumor that our rates will be increasing during this time. Our rates have not increased since 2015 and WILL NOT increase due to this weather event.

servis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Denton County
    I am in a co-op, they put this out today:

We have had members inquiring about a rumor that our rates will be increasing during this time. Our rates have not increased since 2015 and WILL NOT increase due to this weather event.
    Co-op member here also. I was told rate would not increase. However, the fuel surcharge is not fixed. I could not get an answer when asking what the fuel surcharge may go to. The young lady did not mislead, stated that she did not know.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I worked for an energy company that was involved in the electric pricing scandal in California in the early 2000's. There is an amazing shell game played by the energy producers, suppliers, and brokers, and there's nothing like a good crisis to use as leverage to suck more money out of the consumer's pockets. In the case of that company I mentioned, they shut down turbines for maintenance during a peak use period. Then they transferred electricity from 3 states away, taking a profit at each transfer. The complexity of regulation makes it fertile ground for such abuse.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Once we have a cost effective energy storage medium (and LiFePO4 are not it), that is when solar/wind will make sense. Until then you can't reliably control power generation in relationship to demand. People are hopefully realizing fossil fuels are what actually worked through this event.

Top Bottom