• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    Has anyone else had to sit in a commercial airplane “jump seat” for whatever reason? This is a fold-down seat most typically reserved for pilots/staff to move to where they’re immediately needed, though not needed to assist this aircraft during this flight. I doubt this is still possible, post-9/11, but I’m curious how common or uncommon it might’ve been.
    Venture Surplus ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    For *most* commercial airline service operated in the US, nobody that’s not a a qualified airline employee will be in a flight attendant jump seat for takeoff or landing.

Cockpit jump seat is even more restrictive for who can qualify to behind the door and the Captain has final authority to approve access for a qualified individual.

Yes, there are edge cases; no it’s not worth discussing.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Decades ago on a overbooked flight I sat in a jumpseat (not in the cockpit). Flew a lot and the stewardesses knew me. Doubt that would happen today.

Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    Decades ago on an overbooked flight I sat in a jumpseat (not in the cockpit). Flew a lot and the stewardesses knew me. Doubt that would happen today.
    Same here. It was pre-9/11 and I was flying with over a dozen other roadies and band members when I did video for concerts. At the time, I felt like the odd man out, but it occurred to me the other day how rare it probably was and impossible these days. Kind of cool.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    After this, you can kiss any chance of sitting in a jump seat goodbye! :eek::eek::eek:

An off-duty pilot riding as a passenger in the jump seat of the cockpit of an Alaska Airlines flight Sunday tried to seize control of the plane headed from Seattle to San Francisco, forcing the flight to divert to Portland, Oregon, according to the airline and a source familiar with the matter.

A pilot assigned to the flight told air traffic controllers a person riding in the cockpit of flight 2059 attempted to turn off the aircraft’s engines in flight. Pilots will occasionally ride a cockpit “jump seat” when traveling in an official capacity or commuting to another airport.

Joseph Emerson, 44, has been arrested by the Port of Portland Police Department and charged with 83 felony counts of attempted murder, 83 counts of reckless endangerment and one count of endangering an aircraft, online booking records show...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/23/us/alaska-airlines-passenger/index.html

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I watched this youboob video yesterday about this. I'm no pilot, but this guy's channel is pretty good.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Read about FedEx flight 705 if you really want a good scare. That guy could have killed lots of people on the ground (his probable goal). My wife was friends with all the crew members.

Top Bottom