• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MezzanineDebt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2024
    Houston
    I'm a relatively new pistol and rifle owner so I just wanted to hear stories about how much ammo was in the past if y'all got any.

It seems like to me, 9mm for 20cpr and .223/5.56 for 40cpr is cheap.

I have heard some people mention that back in the early 2000s and 2010s, you could pick up .223 for like 20 cents a round.

Have y'all felt the financial pains of going to the range due to ammo prices recently?
    Venture Surplus ad

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    1707951569481.png

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I quit buying cheap and now buy what works best for a particular firearm. Several vendors sell 150gr .308 at $0.70-.95 per round. That ammo shoots 2- 5 MOA out of the DD precision bolt gun.

Federal 168gr BTHP SMK shoots sub 3/4 MOA @ $1.25 a round.
    Ironically, some of the high end Sig ammo that’s almost $2 / round is a 2 MOA out of this rifle.
    So it really does depend on the weapon ant its particular ammo appetite.
    This isn’t a big deal at 25 yards but past 200 yards it can be a significant miss instead of a hit.

We've had similar results with handguns. 124 gr Norma is great in my Atlas but my wife’s Athena prefers 115 S&B, often showing displeasure if it smell the Norma. Go figure.
    YMMV.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Prices have come back down some after the big jump of a few years ago with the combination of covid and Biden taking office. I keep hearing about an increase due to the war in Ukraine, but I haven't noticed it, at least not yet.

I usually buy during the good times and steer clear during times of panic, i.e., when the dems take control and we start hearing all the usual rhetoric about banning and/or raising taxes on this or that, which only serves to increase demand.

During the Trump admin, I would usually spend a couple hundred every other month or so on ammo even if I was already pretty well stocked, knowing that prices were fairly low and would eventually spike in the next panic and didn't want to be needing ammo in a price crunch.

Also use www.ammoseek.com as a resource to compare real time ammo prices. You can choose your caliber, grain, casing material and other criteria in your search.

jnynetwk

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2023
    Victoria, TX
    +1 for SGAmmo and their free shipping! I've bought from them going back to 2017, though you should check the competition on ammoseek or similar sites. In looking at past orders pre-pandemic purchase examples that make me sad are:
    124gr 9mm Sellier and Bellott for16.4 cents per round
    PMC X-TAC and PPU 55gr 5.56 was 29 cents per round.
    As they say, when it's cheap, stack it deep!

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    During COVID prices. Pricing was never the same after.

Even though I reload, I have to admit, I bought the craze and wanted factory ammo for the uncertainty and unknown.

Last order was canceled. Out of stock. Stores were Bone dry for months to follow.

IMG_3560.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3558.jpeg

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    Around 20-25cpr to reload 9mm these days. Used to be around 11cpr precovid.

M855 today with Bidenomics - 66cpr for comparison from 2020.

IMG_3561.jpeg

Last edited:

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    I load my own but I never take more than 20 rounds of rifle ammo. My plinking days with anything but a 22 are far and few between during these times. I'm boring as hell but I got ammo.
    I reload too. Seldom buy factory ammo. Have lots of components and am always looking for a good deal on bullets and brass. Wide range of calibers.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    2.7 cents a round is what I was paying for quality .22lr precovid.
    13 cents for blazer brass 9mm

Here is website

.30 super carry lulz
    All-time low 0.366
    All-time high 0.372
    Average over time 0.37

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    The owner of SG Ammo posted a notice during SHOT stating that ammo prices are expected to increase significantly during the coming months due to military contracts and supply chain issues. Military contracts have priority over commercial sales and production, and we have been giving away or selling all of our large caliber ammunition for several years to Ukraine and Israel. Replenishment is now required, and is expected to take years. Also, around 35% of the nitrocellulose used to manufacture powder and explosives was previously imported from China and Russia. Guess which two countries are no longer offering this product for export? Sport shooters are in next-to-last place in priority; reloaders are last. Hold onto your wallet!

Top Bottom