Hurley's Gold

Anyone remember slot car tracks? So much fun!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    And, I had a really cool Lionel set from 1947. My grandfather bought it when he got out of the war. My brother took it and sold the whole set about 15 years ago for 30 bucks. Jack-ass!
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    giphy.gif

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My dad actually soddered together chassis & did some other tweaking to our slot cars. My older brother & sister had Lionel trains my grandfather bought them. Age difference between them & me got me no train set.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I can't see the OP cause I blocked that stupid MFer...oh well... here goes.

200.gif

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    In all seriousness, there was a track I went to ( I think in San Antonio, but it could have possibly been Ft. Worth,) where people would bring their cars and race them. Not bullshit flat plastic stick together crap, but a huge banked curved track, and.....( I want to say 1:24, but like much of this memory, fuzzy, scale cars.) Anyway , I could jog my memory by looking at model car kits because most were just that.

People would buy a plastic model car kit, throw everything away but the bodies, and put them on custom chassis. It just kinda faded away.

Or....did it? Fast forward many years to where my buddy took me to an indoor RC track. Same concept, really ....except the slots went away, and the cars got much bigger. Here it was all about tweaking your car and driving it strategically . Big dirt track. Spotters strategically located to upright flipped cars around the track.

So, this was pretty serious racing. Cars had transponders to keep track of laps, and I'm sure there were certain rules concerning the cars that I wasn't aware of, but just watching Charlie work between races, and watching cars on the track, I got an idea of what was going on.

Much like football cleats, you had to match your tires to track condition. Next, watching lead cars die a quarter track from finishing while out front, it was also a matter of gearing and driving for battery management. Ideally, you wanted to finish with very little left in the tank to be a contender.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I was a huge fan of slot cars in the 60's. Then they were very fast and speed control was everything. Full speed into a turn could destroy some of the little cars. Later when steering was added it took away some of the fun away. Pretend steering, if you were in a left turn you had to have the steering wheel turned left or the power was cut to your lane As late as 1979 there was a nice big track in Humble. I heard awhile back that Houston still had a track.

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Yes, they were 1:24th scale. We had a track in our hometown and a town close to us. Had lots of race days. I had a Revelle Ford GT. Changed out the engine for a much hotter unit. Had Cox controls. Did pretty well but the custom builders always beat me. Ours also had a drag strip down the side wall. Won some money there quite often. Had a different set of gears for that.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    In all seriousness, there was a track I went to ( I think in San Antonio, but it could have possibly been Ft. Worth,) where people would bring their cars and race them. Not bullshit flat plastic stick together crap, but a huge banked curved track, and.....( I want to say 1:24, but like much of this memory, fuzzy, scale cars.) Anyway , I could jog my memory by looking at model car kits because most were just that.

People would buy a plastic model car kit, throw everything away but the bodies, and put them on custom chassis. It just kinda faded away.

Or....did it? Fast forward many years to where my buddy took me to an indoor RC track. Same concept, really ....except the slots went away, and the cars got much bigger. Here it was all about tweaking your car and driving it strategically . Big dirt track. Spotters strategically located to upright flipped cars around the track.

So, this was pretty serious racing. Cars had transponders to keep track of laps, and I'm sure there were certain rules concerning the cars that I wasn't aware of, but just watching Charlie work between races, and watching cars on the track, I got an idea of what was going on.

Much like football cleats, you had to match your tires to track condition. Next, watching lead cars die a quarter track from finishing while out front, it was also a matter of gearing and driving for battery management. Ideally, you wanted to finish with very little left in the tank to be a contender.
    Those are called R/C cars, or remote controlled cars. I grew up at the track every weekend around those, both racing and hanging out in the pits. There's currently still a track open in Killeen, but I don't know if any of the others are still going.

I still have my old slot car track as well - I just don't have anywhere to set it up. I never got into the whole modifying aspect. It was just as simple as pull it out of the package and go.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom