• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Apple is but dollars away from a market cap of $1Trillion.

IMO:

When it (or ANY other company) hits that milestone it's time to break up the company into smaller companies.

I am an uber capitalist, but when companies get so large that they completely dominate the market then they begin crushing any competition and that defeats the capitalist model which is based upon free and open competition.

Our Federal govt is only worth (based upon revenue) something less than $5 Trillion. Apple is worth 20% of that and how long before a handful of companies are worth more than the Federal govt.

What we don't want is a few companies run by the FAR LEFT (Facebook, Amazon, Google, etc) to be in a position to run out country in de-facto.

IMO this is dangerous!
    Venture Surplus ad

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    In REAL dollars several other companies have beat them.. Aramco namely, but if you want to get specific US STEEL was worth more in REAL Dollars than APPLE and none of them have ever come close to being in value to what the East India Trading Company was.

Impressive for the sheeple that support Apple, for economists and number crunchers just really a milestone for Apple itself.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Switched to an iPhone yesterday. My Android got thrown across the barn. So far I’m a fan.

I’m no expert but I don’t see the big deal. If people want to compete go compete. At some point when a person starts a business they want as much success as possible. Wouldn’t you guys? I would. If the competition isn’t there it’s not there. If people can’t be innovative that’s not a problem a successful business needs to listen to. I rarely support monopoly cases.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I don't like when I'm locked into a certain environment. Oh you have Apple stuff? Can't use anything Microsoft. And vice versa. Hence I say screw it, and buy the 2nd cheapest no-name phone every other year or so.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I don't like when I'm locked into a certain environment. Oh you have Apple stuff? Can't use anything Microsoft. And vice versa. Hence I say screw it, and buy the 2nd cheapest no-name phone every other year or so.
    Who told you that you can't use Microsoft products on Apple products?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Let me just play my Microsoft video purchases on my AppleTV real quick... Or maybe I'll stream some iTunes to my XBox...

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Do you think every single product a company makes should be 100% compatible with everything everyone else makes for your convenience? There are different platforms for everything and that argument is circular. Apple and Microsoft share a lot of commonalities in software. Microsoft Office, OneDrive, Skype, and Visual Studio all work on MacOS.

An organization has to be capitalist and corner the market or they might as well just merge or go bankrupt. At the end of the day, most of the things you can do on one platform you can also do on the other with the same or similar software. I've had every OS under the sun since the 80s and none of them are perfect. I also work in IT and Cisco, Juniper, Dell, Brocade, and a few others have the same concepts going. It's what makes one company stand out from another. There is nothing stopping you from ripping your itunes over to your Xbox.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Yes, I expect my car to run on gas no matter where I bought it. I expect my coffee maker to work no matter who supplies the power or the coffee. I expect watches to display the current time for my time zone in the popular formats and units whether they're Casio or Rolex.

And I most specifically expect my phone chargers to charge my phone, no matter where I bought the charger, without an OS update breaking it and forcing me to buy a new one. Eff Apple. Sent from a seven year old Mac mini on OSX 10.13.6.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Replying to posts in that manner only exacerbate your ignorance in IT and or economics. It's fine, keep your narrow minded mentality as you see fit. You completely missed the point I made.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Replying to posts in that manner only exacerbate your ignorance in IT and or economics. It's fine, keep your narrow minded mentality as you see fit. You completely missed the point I made.

RdCu9Ay.gif

RdCu9Ay.mp4

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    So-called smart phones are a menace.

From addicting to plain old dumb, like walking into a mall pool cuz ye olde eyes are glazed over lost in the phone....or in front of a moving vehicle.

I'll never own one.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    So-called smart phones are a menace.

From addicting to plain old dumb, like walking into a mall pool cuz ye olde eyes are glazed over lost in the phone....or in front of a moving vehicle.

I'll never own one.
    This. People are too busy updating Facebook so all their friends know all the useless bs they did in the day.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Don't have Facebook, that's the best thing I ever did back in 2011 when I deleted everything. I use my smartphone on a regular basis at work and it is nice being able to pass the time when stuck in an airport or elsewhere. It isn't the device that is the problem, it is the people that use them in dumb manners as described above.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Don't have Facebook, that's the best thing I ever did back in 2011 when I deleted everything. I use my smartphone on a regular basis at work and it is nice being able to pass the time when stuck in an airport or elsewhere. It isn't the device that is the problem, it is the people that use them in dumb manners as described above.
    Got rid of mine I’m 08. Best decision ever. I am seeing more people feeling like they need to use social media and chat programs to keep in touch. I’m like why can’t you call or text?

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Dutch East India.png

If you want to talk economics lets talk barriers to entry and oligopolies.. or in the case of phones duopolies.. Or would you rather deride others? Apple got where they are the same way US steel, Standard Oil, Dutch East India, and Microsoft did when they became worth a Trillion.. or in the case of Dutch East India.. Aramco (Saudi oil company) and others WELL over a trillion...

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    View attachment 144906

If you want to talk economics lets talk barriers to entry and oligopolies.. or in the case of phones duopolies.. Or would you rather deride others? Apple got where they are the same way US steel, Standard Oil, Dutch East India, and Microsoft did when they became worth a Trillion.. or in the case of Dutch East India.. Aramco (Saudi oil company) and others WELL over a trillion...

Those organizations got where they are due to the population buying the products and continuing to buy them. That's what I was making a point of earlier when I said each organization tries to corner the market in their own way. The original statement was that Apple and Microsoft products, for the most part work together. When someone knowingly buys a product that won't work with something else and then proceeds to complain about it, well that makes no sense. I wasn't "deriding" others until he started posting material that was clearly intended as trolling. I've been here a long time, most folks here know I don't start anything with anyone.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I have no problem with MS on my mac, never have and I have had a mac on my desk since '85 home AND work. I was even talking to the IBM mainframe at work and pulling my emails on that and a Wang, they said it could not be done, but I did it, which the folks a bit crazy.

Capitalism gets crushed when companies get too large to fail. But that is not the worst part. Apple started in a garage, but not likely I can start in a garage and ever expect to be able to compete with Apple and a whole host of other companies, they can crush their competition or buy them and kill it.

Top Bottom