• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    My AR-10 has the Geissle SSA-E 2 stage trigger and I’ve been pretty happy with it.

Those on the forum who have shot my rifles know I prefer a lighter trigger than most. I was worried the SSA-E would be too heavy for my preference with a 2lb load and 1lb break. (Checked and it’s listed as 2.3lb load and 1.2lb break). It’s really doesn’t feel like a 3lb trigger though. And the break is pretty nice and crisp.

I use it for hunting. Wouldn’t hesitate to use it for home defense with the same trigger, but it’s a little large and heavy for that.
    Have you tried a CMC 2.5lb single stage?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Depends on how each person defines “better”.

I can think of many problems with standard milspec triggers. Or better put, improvements that can be made in order to promote accuracy across a broad range of shooters. But over a broad range of situations there may be other factors that become more important.

True. Not every milspec trigger is the same. Colts are great, DD is garbage. ALG is good.

By the time you decide you want to improve your USGI trigger, it's safer to just get a two stage or a,  shudders... a cassette trigger.

I've felt more than a few PNT triggers that felt objectively worse than their USGI equivalents. More grit, heavier, mushier breaks... a bit of polish and a fancy coating won't fix an already bad trigger.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Have you tried a CMC 2.5lb single stage?
    Nah, I wouldn’t like a single stage that heavy. Only reason the 2 stage works for me is the preload doesn’t factor in to the break. It really doesn’t feel other 2 stage triggers I’ve shot. Those were a weighted take up, then a weighted pull and break. This one is a weighted takeoff, but then breaks like a 1911.

I really prefer the 1lb range. Probably happy with lower, but for what I own and am willing to spend there are issues with the triggers being mechanically safe if they go lower.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Surely, you jest?
    Nope. I've felt more than a few ALG ACT's that feel worse than some QMS's.

Same goes for the BCM and PSA versions.

If DD decided to PNT their triggers, they wouldn't feel any better.

Eta, notice i said "can be". There's *lots* of different USGI triggers out there. Most of them are hot garbage but some are actually quite nice.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I have a Geissle 2 stage, x3 Rise 140s single stage with flat triggers & a few mil specs that I polished up. Here recently on my AR10 build I took a mil spec & used my dremel with a light sanding disk & worked the sear down slowly until it broke at 3.5lbs using a wolf heavy hammer spring. I think the after markets are definitely better than mil spec... other than the new one I reworked in the AR10. I like the drop ins with the flat blade, they don't feel like 3.5lbs imo.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    All of the Aero lowers I assemble were from their parts kits. My LWRC that my .300 whisper is on is a factory trigger.

The LMT that was my wife rifle has a Geissele as to my M-16

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    The Rise I bought direct from them was claimed to have 5 lb. break, turned out to be 8 lb.
    After a little work, got it down to 5, with creep, and a lot of over travel. It went on the table at the next show.

Everyone that I let shoot the 2 ARs that have the TriggerTech cartridge style, are amazed at how crisp they are.
    Creep: 0.000"
    Over travel: below 0.015"
    Reset: below 0.030"

If the CMMG is any sloppier than this, it will get sold, and replaced with a TriggerTech.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe

LMT MBT-2S LaRue $99 in cart​

This is the long-awaited straight bow (SB) version of the popular curve-bowed MBT-2S. Many precision and competition shooters prefer a flat-faced trigger for greater surface area against the finger-pad and ease of bore indexing from a variety of hasty shooting positions, resulting in faster intuitive shots.

Just like the standard MBT-2S, it’s CNC-machined out of solid S7 tool steel. Meticulously built by our staff toolmakers … without a stopwatch in sight. The result of this extra effort is a glass-smooth, hyper-consistent trigger that will satisfy even the most scrupulous competition shooter, but also be overly rugged for the battlefield. The MBT-2S-SB breaks crisply at 4.5 lbs (2.5 lb first stage, 2 lb second stage) and has a smooth and positive reset.

Everyone also knows that LaRue Tactical has a track-record of doing things right. The LaRue MBT-2S-SB is purposefully designed and manufactured to render the greatest benefits from our legendary line of accurate rifles. The MBT-2S-SB can also replace the stock trigger on any mil-spec AR10/AR15 lower receiver.

Each trigger comes with an additional “heavy” trigger spring that increases the pull weight to 6 lbs.

Made in-house, in Texas, in the USA.

NOTE: This trigger only works with Small Pin Lower Receivers/.154

The MBT-2S Straight Bow Trigger includes the trigger, hammer, springs (Light and Heavy) and hammer and trigger pins.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-12 Checkout Midwest Optics.png
      Screenshot_2024-05-12 Checkout Midwest Optics.png
      26.7 KB · Views: 11

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Is "cartridge style" the same as drop-in?

All triggers are drop in. You can replace any standard trigger without any special tools other than a cartridge tip or a firing pin.

Cassette or cartridge triggers just means you don't need to mess with hammer springs. Flip side is you're dealing with anti walk or rotation pins.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    ALG ACT is the best milspec trigger in my opinion, and when purchased on sale is an exceptional value.

LaRue MBT shoots like a Geissele SSA. It’s smooth, predictable, and light, just NOT SSA-E light. The shoe is larger than others. When compared to a SSA it is a great bargain at its price point for how similar it is to the G trigger.

Geissele SSA-E (and its similar variants) is one of my favorite triggers.

All that said, if only needing/wanting SSA type of trigger the MBT is the better route if you like the shoe.

tekiwap

Fudds gonna fudd
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    SWOK
    AR Gold (S7 tool steel) if you want a high end cartridge trigger (CMC would be a good second choice for a cartridge).
    LaRue MBT if you want a high end 2 stage trigger, wire EDM'd from S7 and not cast/forged like a geissele or most of those others.

Or, stick to the stock trigger

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I run many cmcs and have never had a bad one out of the box from a sample of 6+. My rise was unreliable from day one and just haven't had time to send it back. I also have a giessele, timney and PSA epts and the cmcs are by far the best of them. Flat triggers for the bench guns, curved for the field rifles. Can't go wrong with CMC. The "slop" of the cassette pins is a non factor when shooting for groups ime.

Top Bottom