• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I have some family land that I'm wanting to hog hunt on, what's y'alls opinion on braining pigs within 30 yards with a short barreled .223?

If I do use the pistol, would a lighter/faster round like a 35-40gr be better to compensate (slightly) for poor ballistics of a short barrel?

I have 30cal rifles and 16" AR's I could use but it would be easier to carry the pistol through brush and into the blind.
    DK Firearms

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Yup, 60gr Vmax @ 2400 fps should work for 10" barrel. It will be loud. I have a 10" BO pistol for hogs at 50 yds. using 110 vmax or 125 SST. Last time I tried I missed 4 at the feeder as the sight was way off. Funny, one just looked in my direction and kept on feeding till I finished my 5 rnds. Then it walked off into the woods. Probably laughing at me.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    As far as I’m concerned, ethical shots on those vermin are anything that impacts and might either immediately or at some point in the future, cause its demise. Throw a ball bearing real hard - maybe it’ll enter a soft spot and fester. Truly the blight of our and many other States.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Or do like some Philippine boys do. Tie a big ass knife onto the end of a stick, get a couple of tough ass dogs, run those bastards down and stab the shite out of them.
    My cousin used to hunt them with a couple dogs, the dogs would hold the hog, he would reach over it and stab it in the heart. One time he did that and had to shoot it in the head 4 times with his .44 Magnum before it dropped.

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    I used to go to Benevides, Tx and hunt Javelina, you find a good tree or stand up high. We shot them with stingers, you shoot one, when they smell blood, they will rip that one apart, after that, you shoot the ones you want to keep and the rest will just wander off, they won't attack the rest of them.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom