• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    Crawford, TX
    Are all side-by-side shotguns imp/mod barrels? Do you ever find them with imp/imp barrel setup? Been looking around with interest at coach guns and the ones that do list the barrels seem to be imp/mod. In all my years (50+ yrs) have never seen anything different. Just wondering.
    Hurley's Gold

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's been a while since I was in the double gun business but shotgun 'tubes' ...the barrels that fit into modern monobloc construction barrels are initially drawn as Full choke, then the chokes remedy the gunmaker to their requirements...HOWEVER by the time they're cut down to 'coach gun' length there's no constriction left.
    For anything else you should probably try to find on with screw-in choke tubes?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The simple answer is “No”.

However, someone please tell us why most are still offered for the US market ONLY in 28” ?

I’ve shot a whole bunch of shells through doubleguns, and much prefer 25” or 26” for most things.

leVieux

<>

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Coach guns account for a tiny, tiny fraction of double guns made. Most side by side guns are choked Mod and Full.
    Many new guns have screw in chokes.
    Barrel length preference for shotguns started out quite long, 30“ to 32”, got shorter, down to 26” in the 1960’s and has been getting longer ever since with the exception of grouse guns. Most shotgunners now want the longer sighting plane. My sxs’s are 28” and 30”.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Are all side-by-side shotguns imp/mod barrels? Do you ever find them with imp/imp barrel setup? Been looking around with interest at coach guns and the ones that do list the barrels seem to be imp/mod. In all my years (50+ yrs) have never seen anything different. Just wondering.
    I've got a CZ Bobwhite that is a SxS with interchangeable chokes. Nothing fancy, but definitely a fun bird gun! It gets out for sporting clays from time to time as well.

ETA: Just saw you're talking coach gun.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I've got a CZ Bobwhite that is a SxS with interchangeable chokes. Nothing fancy, but definitely a fun bird gun! It gets out for sporting clays from time to time as well.

ETA: Just saw you're talking coach gun.
    <>

I’ve sent CZ USA 5 different inquiries asking if I could get a Bobwhite 20GA with regular stock/lop and the 25.5” bbls; ZERO RESPONSE.

So far, they only offer those bbls with the shortened lop, & I’d hate to have to use too many recoil pad “spacers”.

I used to be 6’2’’, I may have shrunk in height w/ old age, but my arms are still long.

<>

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Coach guns account for a tiny, tiny fraction of double guns made. Most side by side guns are choked Mod and Full.
    Many new guns have screw in chokes.
    Barrel length preference for shotguns started out quite long, 30“ to 32”, got shorter, down to 26” in the 1960’s and has been getting longer ever since with the exception of grouse guns. Most shotgunners now want the longer sighting plane. My sxs’s are 28” and 30”.
    I believe my Browning BSS is 26" and is Imp/Mod, which is pretty ideal for quail hunting. Works fine for doves, too.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I once owned an Over/Under Browning Citori 24" barrel - 12 Ga with Invictor Chokes....however I couldn't hit shit with it, like I could with my old Remington 1100 - 20 gauge in a fixed I.C.

I paid piddly for the Remington 1100, which I would smack dove outta the sky with, with great ease, but after roughly shooting thousands of rounds thru it, it quit working properly.

So, thinking the Browning would be my new dove gun, I plunked down the money for it...and I couldn't hit anything with it...sigh...

It was a beautiful/freaking useless pos....

TRam

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2023
    Crawford, TX
    What I really meant was "anything other than imp/mod barrels." That seems to be all I find. Would really like imp/imp. I am a horrible shot and the larger pattern would certainly help me. It would be more of a toy for me as I have a Ruger Red Label over and under that I hunt with and we get along just fine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I once owned an Over/Under Browning Citori 24" barrel - 12 Ga with Invictor Chokes....however I couldn't hit shit with it, like I could with my old Remington 1100 - 20 gauge in a fixed I.C.

I paid piddly for the Remington 1100, which I would smack dove outta the sky with, with great ease, but after roughly shooting thousands of rounds thru it, it quit working properly.

So, thinking the Browning would be my new dove gun, I plunked down the money for it...and I couldn't hit anything with it...sigh...

It was a beautiful/freaking useless pos....
    <>

For decades, i made an annual South of the Border dove trip w/ a bunch of 1100 Guys. Every year, we’d come back with bags full of 1100 parts.

My 870SF’s never even burped.

<>

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom