• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    We have been having some fun discussing these unusual critters, their destructive habits, their relationship with Hansen's Disease, their suitability as table fare and other topics on a couple of forums.
    There is a seven-page thread on armadillo hunting over on castboolits.com, and a Cajun gentleman named Gary from Baton Rouge shared this very interesting recipe for Armadillo Sauce Picante.
    I may try it with pork, not having any fresh 'dillo in the fridge.

Armadillo Sauce Picante

Shared by Gary of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

serves 8

About 4 1/2 lbs. of Armadillo Meat (see Note #1)
    cleaned and cut up into equal sized pieces.
    1 cup Bacon Grease or Vegetable Oil - divided
    3/4 Cup all-purpose Flour.
    2 cups chopped Yellow Onion
    1 Cup chopped Bell Pepper
    1/2 cup chopped Celery
    2 Tablespoons chopped Garlic (about 5 cloves)
    6 ozs. Tomato Paste (small can)
    1 Cup Dry White Wine
    4 cups Chicken Stock
    28 ounces diced or crushed Tomatoes
    1 or 2 Jalapeno Peppers - chopped (seeds and ribs removed)
    1 teaspoon dried Red Pepper Flakes
    1 bunch Green Onions - chopped (tops and bottoms)
    3 Tablespoons Sugar.
    2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
    4 Tablespoons fresh chopped Parsley

Seasonings :
    1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning Blend ( Like Tony's or your favorite)
    plus some extra for the meat.
    1/2 teaspoon dry Thyme
    2 Bay leaves

Instructions:
    Clean and cut the meat into equal sized pieces ( See Note #1)
    Season with Creole or all purpose seasoning and place in refg. untill needed .
    Heat 2-3 Tablespoons Veg. oil (or bacon grease) in a Dutch Oven (or chicken fryer w/ lid) on Med.-High heat, brown the meat pieces on each side , about 4 mins per side . Remove the browned meat from the dutch oven to a platter and set aside .
    Lower the heat to Medium , add the remaining oil (bacon grease) and when the oil is hot and shimmering , add the flour and whisk or stir for 5 to 8 minutes to make a Dark Roux ... scrape the pan bottom , do not let Roux stick or burn ... whisk or stir constantly ... if you burn he roux , start over .
    When the Roux is dark brown ... remove pan from fire and add the Trinity - Onions , Bell Pepper and Celery stir untill the hot Roux is cooled a bit and then saute the back on med. heat until onions are soft and translucent .
    Next add Garlic , some of the Red Pepper Flakes and about 1/2 of the spices that are listed ( but not the bay leaves , they come later ) continue to saute untill the spices are aromatic about 2 mins ( the heat releases the aromatics) .
    Maintaining Medium Heat stir the Tomato paste into the Roux-onion mixture and saute 5 to 8 mins while the tomato paste browns slightly ... Keep stirring so it doesn't stick or burn !
    Add the white wine and mix throughly , scrape the pan bottom . Saute another 5 mins. untill the wine has incorporated into the roux-onion-tomato paste .
    Now add the whole tomatoes which you crush with your hands ( this was what my Mom did ... I buy diced or crushed tomatoes ) add all liquid with tomatoes .
    Then add Worchestersire , sugar , about 1/2 of the remaining seasonings , jalapeno peppers and bay leaves . Mix thoroughly and simmer about 5 mins.
    Increase the heat to Med-High and stir in the stock .Stir well and bring to a high simmer then lower the heat and continue on a slight simmer for 45 mins , partially cover the pot and stir often .
    Add the browned meat , including any meat juice , the remaining herbs , spices and Green Onions . Continue to simmer for 1-2 hours untill the meat is tender and the sauce nice and thick . Cover the pot the first 45 mins. uncover and cook to thicken the sauce . When done taste and adjust seasonings to taste .

Serve over white rice with hot buttered French Bread and a green salad.

Notes;
    #1) You can use this recipe with any of the following:
    Chicken , Alligator , Rabbit , Squirrel , Nutria , Venison (deer meat) , Wild Hog even domestic pork ... You don't have to use no Armadillo !
    I have cooked / eaten Sauce Piquante made with all of the meats listed and they are all great !
    #2) This dish is better the next day ... and it Freezes very well .
    #3) Add more heat by adding additional chopped Jalapeno's ... to me this taste's better than pepper in a sauce piquante .
    DK Firearms

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I prefer my armadillo smoked or cooked in the ground. Very tasty light meat (the other white meat?) that is very tender slow cooked.

I’ve had a couple and no ill effects.

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Grew up in LaPlace in the 70s. I was a transplant and not native.

We had a bunch of Dillos running the neighborhood as we lived in a rural area. One of the neighbors decided to try to prepare one. Neither my dad or I were interested in trying it so he tried to see if f his dog would. His dog Lucky having good sense passed on it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    One of the neighbors is a Cajun guy & he is always talking about eating various critters. Most of the neighbor hood guys look down on it. Then after Dave tells them the cajun method I break loose with my recipes

They’ll also eat robins. It’s actually a big thing there.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    They’ll also eat robins. It’s actually a big thing there.

My first BB gun my dad supervises me for a while tell me don't shoot no windows bottles or animals, then leaves me on my own. Well my inner big game hunter has me shoot a robin. Apparently the old man was watching me & was on me instantly, That's where I learned you don't kill something that you don't eat. He talked me through dressing out that robin & had me start a charcoal fire. Then he had me cook it and eat it. I thought it tasted like a dove.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Had a cajun friend growing up and they'd eat possum. Uh no, I've seen those nasty things crawl out of a dead cows ass after they've ate their fill.
    That makes for an interesting mental image that can't be undone. Regarding the eating of possum, I would rather remove my own spleen with a dull butter knife.

Top Bottom