• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I have an out of state seller(non FFL) looking to ship an auction item direct to a receiving FFL for me. That used to be pretty common, but I've asked a few shops now, and they only accept shipments from FFLs now, and not from individual sellers. Is this an ATF requirement? Or just store policy to avoid potential transfer headaches? Assuming it is still legal to ship direct to FFL, does anyone have any suggestions for shops in the north austin area that would still do that?

Thanks

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Store policy to forgo headaches...Not a BATFE requirement.

Still legal to ship directly to an FFL, however......UPS and Fed EX have changed their rules and will not ship firearms unless from an FFL. USPS can still be used to ship long guns only. Must be an FFL to ship handguns via USPS legally.

Don't know any FFLs in the Austin area unfortunately....

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Store policy to forgo headaches...Not a BATFE requirement.

Still legal to ship directly to an FFL, however......UPS and Fed EX have changed their rules and will not ship firearms unless from an FFL. USPS can still be used to ship long guns only. Must be an FFL to ship handguns via USPS legally.

Don't know any FFLs in the Austin area unfortunately....
    Thanks for the information. I didn't want to keep asking FFLs about it if it wasn't allowed anymore

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    Last summer, before we moved I shipped a gun that I sold to a person in Nevada via https://www.shipmygun.com/go/. They use an FFL of record to ship guns. I think it cost me $40.00 via UPS. It meets the UPS requirement to ship via FFL without it costing an arm and a leg.

They also have a list of preferred FFLs, but will ship to any FFL that will accept the package.

Zero Whiskey in South Austin does inbound transfers for $25/00 if you have a LTC and $35.00 if you don't. I didn't ask if they will accept a shipment from a non FFL.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Thanks for that link, I've never seen ShipMyGun before. I will definitely use them in the future. They have preapproved FFLs that look like they will accept transfers from individuals. I found one right down the road from work, and verified with them.

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    You're welcome. I was a bit skeptical at first, but the process was easy.

I'm new to the area and looking for shops to check out. Whats in Cedar Park for shops?
    Guns Warehouse in Cedar Park.

Watermark Arms up in Liberty Hill.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I tried to use Guns Warehouse for a transfer when I first moved here. It was a bare M203 receiver(no barrel), which transfers as a normal firearm. I called them and OK'd it, but when they received it they refused to transfer it. That resulted in headache to get it sorted out, and I will not go there for anything again. Shady Oaks is in the Cedar Park area, has a decent selection for how small the store is, and is also a class 3 dealer/gun range. And Capitol Armory is a great shop for class 3 items, as well as some custom work. I haven't checked out too many other gun stores in the area.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I would suggest Elite Guns in North Austin but the store closed permanently.
    Could you ship to Academy or Bass Pro?
    I have used Academy in the past. Bass Pro is quite the drive from Awwsten but a good backup in case Academy refuses.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I just remembered. GT Distributors in Pflugerville also do transfers. They are now in a new (and bigger) location close to toll 45. I visit from time to time when I am in town.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    The next time I stop by GT distributors, I will check to see if they accept transfers from individuals out of state. It is always good to know who does/doesn't do that.

I already got my immediate need sorted using Shipmyguns.

Top Bottom