• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Branson says ?we will persevere? after Virgin Galactic?s SpaceShipTwo crash | Fox News

First stage propulsion system is early focus of Antares investigation | Spaceflight Now

On Tuesday, an Antares rocket was intentionally detonated moments after launch when the first booster failed. On Friday SpaceShipTwo broke up during a test flight over the Mojave Desert, killing one pilot and injuring the other.

Hopefully these events won't stop the push toward commercial space flight. Despite this past week, I'd still go up tomorrow.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, what do you expect when using old Soviet equipment the Russians don't even want anymore? The Soviets didn't really care if their cosmonauts made it back or not :laughing:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    If we put space exploration into perspective, commercial space enterprises have killed far fewer explorers than did our NASA programs.

The government is not interested in saving dollars or lives.

Industry thrives when they can mitigate risk and turn a profit!

How many died on the way to the Moon?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If we put space exploration into perspective, commercial space enterprises have killed far fewer explorers than did our NASA programs.

The government is not interested in saving dollars or lives.

Industry thrives when they can mitigate risk and turn a profit!

How many died on the way to the Moon?

How many died exploring this earth?
    Some are driven. Not by money or fame, just by curiosity.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Yeah, it's been a bad week. My biggest fear is government intervention because it's deemed "unsafe". Hopefully not.

There is some risk in new ventures but we live in a society that equates any risk as being unacceptable. Madness.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I fear some may have missed my point.

Government does not give a damn about the lives of their explorers. Government pays their salaries and death benefits.

Most explorers of the past three centuries were either in the direct employ of a Crown, or sponsored by the Crown, or in the case of America: By the Government.

Think of Spain, Portugal, Italy, France and England.

In those times, explorers needed sponsors, and the only sponsors were Royalty or trading companies. The trading companies all operated under authorization of the "Crown."

Perhaps the most famous American Explorers, (Lewis & Clark), did not set off all by themselves. It was a government-sanctioned exploration.

I'd like to know of any explorers into to space that were not supported by a government.

Virgin Galactic is a private enterprise, and for them the death of just one test pilot is a pox on their house. A government can just dump billions of dollars at a problem until they get it right.

Private enterprise does not have that luxury of unlimited funding. They have to get it right or the enterprise goes in the dump.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    True. The rocket motors we are using are not only 60s Russian technology, they were BUILT by Russia in the 60s.

+1. This is what I've been telling everyone I work with regarding these issues. We are severely handicapped by using Soviet Era rocket tech. It was a great idea in its day, and its had its uses, but as we go along and require more of it, we design rockets and cargo to do more and more, while not even considering the propulsion system to get it where the cargo needs to go.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I fear some may have missed my point.

Government does not give a damn about the lives of their explorers. Government pays their salaries and death benefits.

Most explorers of the past three centuries were either in the direct employ of a Crown, or sponsored by the Crown, or in the case of America: By the Government.

Think of Spain, Portugal, Italy, France and England.

In those times, explorers needed sponsors, and the only sponsors were Royalty or trading companies. The trading companies all operated under authorization of the "Crown."

Perhaps the most famous American Explorers, (Lewis & Clark), did not set off all by themselves. It was a government-sanctioned exploration.

I'd like to know of any explorers into to space that were not supported by a government.

Virgin Galactic is a private enterprise, and for them the death of just one test pilot is a pox on their house. A government can just dump billions of dollars at a problem until they get it right.

Private enterprise does not have that luxury of unlimited funding. They have to get it right or the enterprise goes in the dump.

True enough. But nearly every exploration you mention began with the leaders begging for funding.
    Not with the ruler demanding they go. Bit of difference.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

Yep. That's why private enterprise is more effective and efficient. I doubt this is the end of Virgin Galactic, but even if it is there are a few others that can learn from their mistakes and prosper.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    My fear is this has pushed back commercial spaceflight 5 if not 10 years. As others have stated though you have to live on the edge of life and death when you are pushing new frontiers of exploration....just look at all the people who pioneered oceanic exploration and all the tribulations they went through to colonize the Americas. Many people met their demise at the promise of large profits, fame or just the drive to see new lands. This is no different and I will second what Rebel said in that, if asked, I would go up tomorrow for even a glimmer of possibility of seeing the earth as a big blue marble like the handful of astronauts have seen it. I've yearned my whole life for that awe inspiring moment and still hope I get to fulfill that dream before my days on this planet are done.

Top Bottom