• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Current range has 300/450 yards, but going to start pushing out to 1000 yards soon at another location. What equipment/app are you all using to calculate your adjustments for bullet drop? I have seen the Kestrel 5700 around for quite some time but have never used it. Are there any apps that work just as well or better? Or do the apps have some limiting factors or less convenient by requiring separate apps for weather and the calculator?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Strelok.
    I've had it for a long while.
    Sorry to say, it's Russian and no stateside downloads are allowed anymore.

I hope you find the next best thing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I preferred Strelok for a calculator but lost it when my phone broke.

Now I use Ballistic. Bullet library isn’t as good, but it has good functionality and has a nice way to keep track of group size for different rifles.

I have another app called WALT that will use the phones internal sensor to calculate density altitude. I can add temp manually in the ballistic app and be on par with the data a Kestral would provide, minus the wind.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ballistic AP; it’ll pull ambient weather conditions from the phone if you let it. One thing to keep in mind is those winds are pulled from the reporting stations, which may be nowhere near where you are. You can use other apps to access personal weather stations, which also may not he anywhere near you.

This is where being able to read signs of wind at the OP, across the projectile flight path, and at the impact area becomes useful as a skill if you can’t have sensors or flags down range. Something else about flags…if they’re much higher (>20fts or so) than the ground cover, those flags may not be as useful as you think. When the wind comes into contact with surface objects is where friction and turbulence kick in that can also impact flight path. Heavier and more aerodynamic projectiles can help level your playing field there.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Appreciate the feedback. Will check out Ballistic AP. Is all the data stored in the app or does it require internet service at all times to utilize?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ballistic stored data on your phone.

Make sure to keep a backup of anything you need. Got lazy and started storing load data on it with the targets from load testing. Lost my loads when I broke the phone.

TX LR308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2024
    Orange, TX
    I've used Nikon SpotOn and it worked well, but don't think it's available now. Currently using Applied Ballistics App and really like this one as well. It let's you calibrate your ballistics to actual data, which I really like.

Top Bottom