• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    BUT only if you are on the clock. The language of these laws is very slippery.
    Texas CCP does not distinguish between "on-duty" and "off-duty"
    Art. 2.13. DUTIES AND POWERS. (a) It is the duty of every peace officer to preserve the peace within the officer's jurisdiction. To effect this purpose, the officer shall use all lawful means.

(b) The officer shall:

(1) in every case authorized by the provisions of this Code, interfere without warrant to prevent or suppress crime
    To that end, I carry a handgun in the exercise of my duties.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Texas CCP does not distinguish between "on-duty" and "off-duty"
    Art. 2.13. DUTIES AND POWERS. (a) It is the duty of every peace officer to preserve the peace within the officer's jurisdiction. To effect this purpose, the officer shall use all lawful means.

(b) The officer shall:

(1) in every case authorized by the provisions of this Code, interfere without warrant to prevent or suppress crime
    To that end, I carry a handgun in the exercise of my duties.

I agree totally. Back in early mid 70's HPD position was you were "on duty" 24 - 7. Texas law pretty much allowed the same thing, BUT arguments were made that the official schedule for patrol officers dictated "official duty time" I can not remember exactly what kicked those issues into gear, but some changes were made.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

The logic used being that the 2nd Amendment does not specify the "arms" used by the "militia" and hence where not specifically prohibited, it can be regulated. In my opinion (which will not even get you a used Starbucks cup in a competent court of law) that logic is flawed in several ways. Mainly, the 2nd Amendment is not a gift to the people, it is a restriction on Government. Hence the government can not define what is "allowed" to the people. The 2nd Amendment dictates what the people allow the government.
    That. In spades.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    And before one specific judge.

I would doubt the US Attorney will appeal it. Take the L on this one charge/case and not risk anything bigger. Could lead to a vacate of USC930, some building s would survive, but others like National Parks Visitor Centers would not.
    And that.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It is a federal offense, so federal definition of official duties. Decades of Federal Case Law. Former Fed here, we had to deputized local to get around it.
    It's something I'm willing to risk/fight given my rights protected in 2a and my duties as described by Texas CCP.

Many times, officers have been off the clock, and gotten involved in a deadly force incident stopping a robbery or shooting etc and their departments said they were exercising their official duties.

I've counted the cost and would rather be a martyr than a victim.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    It's something I'm willing to risk/fight given my rights protected in 2a and my duties as described by Texas CCP.

Many times, officers have been off the clock, and gotten involved in a deadly force incident stopping a robbery or shooting etc and their departments said they were exercising their official duties.

I've counted the cost and would rather be a martyr than a victim.

If Sir, you ever run afoul of the bastards.... I will help break you out.

DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    Something to think about.

1) You can legally carry a firearm into a Bank.
    2) They don't want you to legally carry a firearm into the post office?

I mean really... You can in a bank... Just let that settle.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    If the 11th Circuit upholds the FL ruling, it could set up a circuit split and make the issue ripe for cert. by SCOTUS.

At that point the question becomes if a Post Office is a "sensitive place" per Bruen.

Courts, LE facilities, schools, and even hospitals are considered "sensitive places" depending on the state.

There is a reasonable chance SCOTUS would consider postal facilities to be the same.

Not that I like it, because as others have noted it's a PITA to have to stash a gun to go into one.
    Maybe a SENSITIVE PLACE was because 'way back when' there was a phrase "GOING POSTAL" or "THE GUY WENT POSTAL".

It seems many postal employees were bringing firearms to work and "OFFING' people that pissed them off?

I haven't heard that phrase in many years but I still remember news stories about disgruntled Postal People.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Maybe a SENSITIVE PLACE was because 'way back when' there was a phrase "GOING POSTAL" or "THE GUY WENT POSTAL".

It seems many postal employees were bringing firearms to work a "OFFING' people that pissed them off?

I haven't heard that phrase in many years but I still remember news stories about disgruntled Postal People.

Well this is the perfect case to find out since the defendant was a postal worker

Of course the ban predates anyone going postal.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW

It seems many postal employees were bringing firearms to work a "OFFING' people that pissed them off?

Yeah they had shootings by nut jobs they fired. So the law abiding get punished.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom