• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomSO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2014
    Howdy y'all, I'm sure this question has already been asked but I'm morally opposed to search bars. I also apologize for the wordiness, my lack of math and science skills was seemingly replaced with a propensity to be Lon winded and unendingly thorough, for what it's worth I appreciate your patience. Whatis best camo for central TX? Specifically for hog hunting applications? I'm getting an AR when I get home from deployment and one of my more seasoned battle buddies who hunts is going to get into hoggin' and wants me to embark on this journey with him.

This will bet first time hunting aside from shooting birds off of power lines in the suburbs of Baltimore, MD (the workers republik or Maryland that is, also know as hell on earth) and I want to be prepared camo wise. I'm sure this thread will be littered with fanboys but I have a knack for finding truth hidden in bullshit.

I've heard everything from "who gives a damn", mossy oak brush, and "just wear ACU's" which I absolutely will not do because it only blends in with; 1) other ACU stuff, and 2) the moon. It's the only camo pattern I've ever worn and I can attest to it's infinite worthlessness.

Any suggestions are appreciated, I've only posted two threads besides this one since joining this forum and I've been pleased and honored to take suggestions from such nice and knowledgeable individuals as you folks. As always God bless you and yours day in and out. Who knows, maybe one day we can share a shiner or 12!
    Guns International

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Doesn't matter that much honestly.

I think the kryptec looks cool though. I may get some. Have some real tree and others. I usually just wear jeans and. Muted color shirt.

TomSO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2014
    That's what I've been hearing from some of my NCO's familiar with the area, I have no objections as my closet had more than enough of both.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Deer in central Texas have become rather domesticated. Case in point, Morgans Point. Deer walk around like alley cats. Its not a hard skill to be able to hide from a deer either. So in the deer hunting sceen, camo is fashion.

Heres an a guille suit I had made. Second one made.

faec8787a0a25074f453d43a192a4a2a.jpg

Take a shower with baking soda, you can poke whitetail deer with a stick.

Its also smoking hot to wear. Heres Multi cam against a gun range

0a242bd15ac012c5c25960a50396973f.jpg

After seeing Multicam blend in for my self....sold me.

"Sent from a jail"

TomSO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2014
    Guille looks amazing man! I hear you on the fashion but as well, what I was suspecting in the first place.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Beo Gam virtually made me invisible during a weekend tactical last October in Harwood. Lots of it available left over from Vietnam. Duck Hunter would be a close second. If there's a lot of canopy overhead then Tiger stripe is best.

MCA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    Priddy, TX
    I was out this evening standing on the edge of the field my feeder is in and I was running a video cam trying to see where the deer were entering the field. I was wearing MOBU and just after 7 a fox walks up to about 10 feet away from me ... he never got spooked, just paused a moment, realized that something was in his normal path along the fence line and diverted around me like I was a new brush pile.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I was out this evening standing on the edge of the field my feeder is in and I was running a video cam trying to see where the deer were entering the field. I was wearing MOBU and just after 7 a fox walks up to about 10 feet away from me ... he never got spooked, just paused a moment, realized that something was in his normal path along the fence line and diverted around me like I was a new brush pile.

He knew you were there. Grey Fox are nosey. They'll come up to just outside a camp fire.

Not really hard to shoot either

7322e718aa04fb5cb4036c54bc393943.jpg

"Sent from a jail"

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    If you are in cedars, +1 on the tiger stripe. Watever you wear, at least for deer, wash it in UV killer detergent. Deer see ultraviolet light. Without ultaviolet, just about any muted color blends. Old burlap feed sacks work well.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Most animals don't see colors, so the best camo for hunting should blend in with the light or dark background of the area. Take a picture of someone in camo standing on a lease and then convert it to black and white. Then you can see how they will look to a deer or hog.

Camo also doesn't actually have to match local patterns - look at the military's digicamo. It's intended to break up the silhouette so that the eyes don't recognize arms, legs, etc.

Animals don't actually "see" ultraviolet. Very few creatures (bees for example) actually see in that range. There's a very good chemical reason for that - but I won't bore you with that tonight.

What happens is that most detergents contain "brighteners"; chemicals that absorb ultraviolet and re-emit it as visible light. It makes the clothes look brighter or more colorful. Shine a UV lamp on your clothes and you'll see what I mean. So if the sun is shining on you and the surrounding terrain, you'll actually look slightly brighter. Again, part of that has to do with animals seeing in black and white. That part of the eye is much more sensitive to low levels of light.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Doesn't really matter; you'll be in a blind or stand anyways. Just wear neutral/natural colors. The pattern on camo is to break up your lines and they all do that reasonably well.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If you are in cedars, +1 on the tiger stripe. Watever you wear, at least for deer, wash it in UV killer detergent. Deer see ultraviolet light. Without ultaviolet, just about any muted color blends. Old burlap feed sacks work well.

from an idgit coffeeholic

That reminds me of the old poacher trick. They wrap their feet in burlap so there's no footprints.

iehooligan11b

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    Currently: afghanistan
    I usually just wear jeans and an old shirt if I'm in a stand. Just wear some multicams. Ha I know your sick of wearing everyday but you have a bunch of em, don't have to buy anything new, and they work. I've got the huntin itch bad, I'm deployed right now too

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Max1 is what I have worn for around 10 years. But it all depends where are hunting at. Blend in bro.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom