• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    What are you guys using for a bore sight? I tried one of the cartrige type and they have some inherent flaws (at least this one did). Figure I can dial it in fairly close, then fine tune at the range... the cartrige type I got was so poorley machined, the extractor pushed it to one side. It was so bad I thought the barrel was bent.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    If a bolt action rifle at a 100 yard range I just put it in a sled, remove the bolt, look down the bore at a spot on the target, lock everything down and dial it in with maybe 6 rounds.
    Have several rifles and pistols it could see use on. Only one in the lot is a bolt action. Main concern at the moment is a 30-30 lever...

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I sight in at 25 -30 yards with a 3/4" round red target sticker on my fence. With the gun in a gun vise with bolt removed. On paper and never more then 3 shots to get 2" high @ 100 yards. Fine tuning if needed per ammo is an option.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Lasers are really hard to see.
    Not at night...
    My neighbor's front door is 47 yards from mine, so I set up 9 feet inside my door, and aim at their door knob.
    I use an El-Cheapo bore mount laser, and it never lets me down, always inside a 10" circle at 50, at the range.
    A couple of shots, and I'm ready to move out to 100.
    They come with many bore collets, and I've used on .223, .308, 7.62x39, and .45 acp.

RLB-0000-00.jpg

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Not at night...
    My neighbor's front door is 47 yards from mine, so I set up 9 feet inside my door, and aim at their door knob.
    I use an El-Cheapo bore mount laser, and it never lets me down, always inside a 10" circle at 50, at the range.
    A couple of shots, and I'm ready to move out to 100.
    I like external style, too. My neighbor gets nervous when I target his front door, so I use my garage door. Give the laser a spin in the bore to ensure concentric, then split the difference of 2 spots- few inches. Hardest part is having the 3 watch batteries.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    In the Military we used the ones you put down a barrel and would rotate to get a center dot.

They worked great, but there were set cards/data, and a rope/distance to zero a number of weapon systems and different optics, some offset.

The hight of your sight plays a huge part, and it works best with a buddy or a brace.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    All bore sighting must be done from a very sturdy rest-biggest problem. Remove the lever and bolt. Look through barrel at a distant target. Zero scope. Reassemble and go to range. Again very sturdy rest. Shoot one. Don't move rifle. Move reticle over to the hole. Shoot again and fine tune if needed. Start @ 50 and move to 100 if you want. Cheap and easy.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    All bore sighting must be done from a very sturdy rest-biggest problem. Remove the lever and bolt. Look through barrel at a distant target. Zero scope. Reassemble and go to range. Again very sturdy rest. Shoot one. Don't move rifle. Move reticle over to the hole. Shoot again and fine tune if needed. Start @ 50 and move to 100 if you want. Cheap and easy.
    You really dont need a "sturdy" rest. A simple sandbag or wood block is more than adequate

Just constantly check between the barrel and optic and you should have zero trouble getting on at 50, even 100 yards

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What are you guys using for a bore sight? I tried one of the cartrige type and they have some inherent flaws (at least this one did). Figure I can dial it in fairly close, then fine tune at the range... the cartrige type I got was so poorley machined, the extractor pushed it to one side. It was so bad I thought the barrel was bent.

I drop a laser in my rail,
    zero the laser to my crosshairs,
    swap scopes and
    Zero to the laser then confirm with a quick group

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I used a cartridge type on my PC and it worked just fine. Those batteries are boogers though. Crappy design to not have an off switch which necessitated removing batteries, but it was cheap and it worked

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I still use one of the old school collimeter types with the different caliber mandrels.
    It’s good for getting you on paper before the first shot.
    Then live fire to dial in.

Top Bottom