• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UberDuper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Leander
    I want to get into BPCR shooting and I'm looking for a rifle.

I'm leaning towards an 1885 high wall in 45-70 or 45-90. Or even 45-120 because why not?
    I'm having a hard time finding one with the setup I want. Not willing to shell out for a c.sharps on my first foray.
    I can get a uberti in 45-90 with a 32" barrel and a pistolgrip buttstock but it's a crescent buttstock and not available with double set triggers.
    I can get a cimarron uberti in 45-90 and double set triggers but only 30" barrel and still has the crescent buttstock.
    Pedersoli makes a high wall. 32" barrel, pistolgrip shotgun buttstock, single set trigger but out of my price range.
    I'm not interested in the modern Winchester/Brownings. Unless someone can convince me I should be?
    I'm not sure what else I could be looking at.

The sharps '74 is pretty much off my list. Great looking rifles but I don't really want to deal with a side hammer and the weight goes beyond heavy into annoyingly heavy territory. The Lyman 1878 (1877 sharps) made by petersoli looks like a pretty good compromise. Similar looks and reduced weight but it comes with sights I'd never use and not available in 45-90.

Bunch of rambling to get the topic started. Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on rifles or bpcr shooting in general would be appreciated.
    Lynx Defense

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Hi and welcome to the forum!
    I (occasionally) shoot a Danish Rolling Block that has had it's chamber reamed to accommodate a BP 45-70 round. Not saying that's the way to go, many people will argue about safety issues, though to my understanding, the only failures were due to smokeless powder rounds and obviously shooter error.
    45-70 is the largest BP round I've fired, and with that rifle, I'll throw a pad on my shoulder, just so I won't regret not doing it later after a target session. If you can ever get your hands on a book by Mike Venturino & Steve Garbe titled "SPG Lubricants BP Cartridge Reloading Primer", you can read the author's opinions on the various cartridges and recoils (the 45-120's recoil being described as "brutal" with a 500 grain bullet in rifles weighing less than 12 pounds). There's a copy on ebay right now:
    SPG Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reloading Primer Black Powder Sass | eBay
    The authors tend to recommend the meaner cartridges if you'll be hunting larger North American Big Game and lighter like the 45-70 for target work out to 1000 yards.
    Ultimately though, everyone is different when it comes to recoil.
    My only other thought is to see if you can find a reasonably priced rifle on GunBroker or somewhere. I've seen folks take a terrible loss when they ended up selling a Shiloh for one reason or another.
    So there you go... bunch of rambling to answer your bunch of rambling.

UberDuper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Leander
    I've been watching Gunbroker recently. Nothing but miroku wins/browns and ubertis at retail prices.
    I'd love to get one of the American made ones but it's just too much money for a test the waters kinda gun.

I'll probably end up with a uberti 45-70. If it proves to be good times, then maybe I'll trade up to a c.sharps.

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I used to shoot BPCR silhouette several years ago. I used a Browning 1885 BPCR it was recommended to me as a "shooter right out of the box". Indeed it was, decent soule sights and a Badger made barrel. You might find a good used one at BPCR.net or the Goex forum. Buffalo Arms used to have consignment rifles too.

UberDuper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Leander
    My dad has a Miroku browning I could probably convince him to sell me. I haven't found a good source of info for these.
    It sounds like there's a standard (classic?) and a BPCR version. Don't know what the differences are or how to tell them apart.

But from what I've read, the receivers are nothing at all like the original 1885 and are a nightmare to take apart/clean/repair.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'll have to investigate this some. Initial searching says this isn't really an era gun so not sure if it would qualify for BPCR silhouette competition.

This rifle isn't strictly "authentic" but last I heard BPCR allows it.
    Way back when introduced it was touted as a low cost alternative to a nice used car price '74 Sharps or '85 Win. allowing more folks to join the sport.
    For an initial foray into BPCR its a smart way to go. The sport is expensive enough just to compete.
    Another plus, IMO, is the weight of the Buffalo Classic allows a person to use it in the field. As nice as the big Sharps and High Walls are they weigh a friggin ton and packing one around the hills for a day is no fun. Plus one does not want to risk nicking/denting/scratching up a $2500 rifle.
    Re-sale won't be much but its a $400 rifle. Much easier to move than a $2K+ piece.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    This rifle isn't strictly "authentic" but last I heard BPCR allows it.
    Way back when introduced it was touted as a low cost alternative to a nice used car price '74 Sharps or '85 Win. allowing more folks to join the sport.
    For an initial foray into BPCR its a smart way to go. The sport is expensive enough just to compete.
    Another plus, IMO, is the weight of the Buffalo Classic allows a person to use it in the field. As nice as the big Sharps and High Walls are they weigh a friggin ton and packing one around the hills for a day is no fun. Plus one does not want to risk nicking/denting/scratching up a $2500 rifle.
    Re-sale won't be much but its a $400 rifle. Much easier to move than a $2K+ piece.
    I had one and it was a nice shooting rifle. Very good sights on it too.

Definitely an affordable way to test the waters.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It's a slightly different dialect, I really prefer muzzle loaders. But those are some really perty thangs. Hadn't thought about them in years.

from an idgit coffeeholic

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    In a lighter recoiling rifle I would not mind getting back into BP. My bones just do not like heavy recoil anymore.
    Edit: but they sure are fun!

UberDuper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Leander
    Ended up getting that Lyman 1878. I couldn't find a bad review of it and found several that were pretty glowing.
    Took it out on a camping trip and only put 20 rounds through it but so far so good. Less recoil then I was expecting. That trigger is pretty great.
    Cocking that hammer left handed is as annoying as I thought it would be. Not a big deal.

The sights need to go so I'm looking at MVA or Lee Shavers but it looks like Lyman used non-standard spacing on the mount holes. May have to get a base custom made. :/

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    In a lighter recoiling rifle I would not mind getting back into BP. My bones just do not like heavy recoil anymore.
    Edit: but they sure are fun!

A lever action or single shot rifle in a pistol cartridge are pretty tame in the recoil department and fun to shoot. Pistol cartridges are easy to load with BP or a sub. I like 777 because it cleans with plain water.

You don't have to load a muzzle loader with a heavy charge either.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom