• Status
    Not open for further replies.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    First, I haven't seen anything truly unsafe out there... well, besides the time I was waiting to use their shotgun patterning range, and a guy was teaching his family to shoot on it. Son had what could have been a hang fire, he immediately told him to eject the shell. Then picked it up off the ground and blew on it (right next to his face! I was cringing) to get the dust off... but that wasn't the range staff's fault.

What I don't like is their lack of customer service. Today a friend and I went with his kids to shoot, it was just going to be a real quick thing. They were packed, which is fine, but... We get to the window, my friend hardly had any small bills at all, so he tried to pay with plastic. No go, they won't do plastic. Strike one - get with the times, kids. So he pulls out a C note, slaps it down. No go, the child (must have been all of 16) behind the counter says "we don't take anything bigger than a 20". Dude, you can break it, trust me. If all you take is cash and there are a couple hundred people here, you'd think you'd be begging for some Benjamins just to reduce the size (but not value) of the stack of greenbacks you've got.

Every time I've been there, I've been way less than impressed with their customer service. I've also been pretty under-whelmed with the shotgun patterning area. It just seems wrong to be standing next to some random dude's pickup while you're shooting into some trees at a target to check your pattern.

Neither my friend or I will be back to Bracken any time soon, if ever.
    Venture Surplus ad

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    First, I haven't seen anything truly unsafe out there... well, besides the time I was waiting to use their shotgun patterning range, and a guy was teaching his family to shoot on it. Son had what could have been a hang fire, he immediately told him to eject the shell. Then picked it up off the ground and blew on it (right next to his face! I was cringing) to get the dust off... but that wasn't the range staff's fault.

What I don't like is their lack of customer service. Today a friend and I went with his kids to shoot, it was just going to be a real quick thing. They were packed, which is fine, but... We get to the window, my friend hardly had any small bills at all, so he tried to pay with plastic. No go, they won't do plastic. Strike one - get with the times, kids. So he pulls out a C note, slaps it down. No go, the child (must have been all of 16) behind the counter says "we don't take anything bigger than a 20". Dude, you can break it, trust me. If all you take is cash and there are a couple hundred people here, you'd think you'd be begging for some Benjamins just to reduce the size (but not value) of the stack of greenbacks you've got.

It says right on the window - "Cash only" and "No bills larger than $20". Their web site also states these conditions.

I've never shot on their shotgun spots, but I have made extensive use of their rifle and pistol lines. Shooting there is like shooting anywhere else - they have rules they want you to follow. If you don't like their rules or the shooting conditions, don't go there. I've been to Bracken, BulletHole Cedar Ridge, Bexar County, and Dietz. Of those, I think Bracken has the best range monitoring (they actually have people on the line watching the shooters). Of those I listed, I feel the least safe at BulletHole because of the placement and proximity of various pistol/rifle spots and the complete lack of a range master. I prefer Bracken to BulletHole, even though BulletHole is 1/4 the distance from my house that Bracken is, not to mention cheaper than Bracken. Am I completely happy with Bracken? Nope, but it's my best alternative to taking position in a clock tower...

Every time I've been there, I've been way less than impressed with their customer service. I've also been pretty under-whelmed with the shotgun patterning area. It just seems wrong to be standing next to some random dude's pickup while you're shooting into some trees at a target to check your pattern.

Neither my friend or I will be back to Bracken any time soon, if ever.

You've been there more than once and don't know the cash only policy?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bexar Community - love it.

Blackhawk - haven't tried it, plan on it.

Cedar Ridge - don't like the attitude. The ten minute orientation is over the top, and their rule about having NOTHING in your hand during a cease fire is very excessive.

... yes, I'm picky.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    It says right on the window - "Cash only" and "No bills larger than $20". Their web site also states these conditions.
    Well then it DOES show their Horrible customer service in print after all doesnt it??!! get with the times already!! no Plastic? what era do they think they're in?? the Dinosaur era?? and no bills larger than 20's?? why?? are they afraid of being robbed?? bad guys DONT train at firing ranges with their ILLEGAL GUNS nor do they rob them!! I'll go with Sage on this one, what a piss poor range fee policy!!!!!!!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I can understand not taking credit cards. Maintaining a merchant account can be a hassle sometimes. I don't understand not accepting anything over $20 bills, tho...

RiverCity.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    The merchant has to give up up to 3% of the income to accept that plastic. Would you be willing to pay an extra 3% every time you used the card? Some businesses can absorb it (usually by increasing the cost to the customer). Some choose not to. I don't think it's about being behind the times. I think it's about being a small business that needs to control it's overhead.

Oh, ever notice that Costco doesn't take credit cards? (other than the special deal they have with Amex). Yes, they do take debit, but even Costco isn't willing to pay the highway robbery fees Visa/MC charges. And I can tell you from experience, those fees go up every year. Sometimes more than once per year.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Well then it DOES show their Horrible customer service in print after all doesnt it??!! get with the times already!! no Plastic? what era do they think they're in?? the Dinosaur era?? and no bills larger than 20's?? why?? are they afraid of being robbed?? bad guys DONT train at firing ranges with their ILLEGAL GUNS nor do they rob them!! I'll go with Sage on this one, what a piss poor range fee policy!!!!!!!

As cited by others, it costs quite a bit to allow credit card or even debit card payment. I for one am glad they don't allow it, because their range fees would be even higher.

Further, it takes five minutes to stop at an ATM for some cash. It's really not that big a deal.

Lastly, the ATM only doles out $20 bills. I can't recall the last time I actually held a bill larger than $20. Besides, I often make it a point to show up with exact change for my range time.

Really, their customer service ain't that bad.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I routinely carry 50's and 100's - but try to have smaller bills too, because they can be an inconvenience for the business to handle. Having said that - I simply don't like Bracken, and never have. Their general attitude seems (to me) to be one of barely enduring my presence, and there have been a couple of times when it got very close to downright rudeness. I go there if I have to, but try hard not to - maybe once ever 2-3 years.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I routinely carry 50's and 100's - but try to have smaller bills too, because they can be an inconvenience for the business to handle. Having said that - I simply don't like Bracken, and never have. Their general attitude seems (to me) to be one of barely enduring my presence, and there have been a couple of times when it got very close to downright rudeness. I go there if I have to, but try hard not to - maybe once ever 2-3 years.

I think they're bothered by your goggles. :)

I've never had a problem with them. I think they need to clearly state the range rules regarding offhand shooting on the rifle line to shooters who are new to the range. A simple (and short) handout would be sufficient I think.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

That's my previous experience, too.

Customer service is about going beyond. Sometimes it's about bending rules. If all we did at work was fix cars, we wouldn't be in business for long. We do so many other little things that never show up on a bill, and that is what keeps people coming back.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    The merchant has to give up up to 3% of the income to accept that plastic. Would you be willing to pay an extra 3% every time you used the card?
    UH YES... and Really?? so if the range fee was 20$ you think the customer would not shoot there do to a 60cent fee? why should the range have to eat the fee? life costs money and not taking plastic or at least "Debit Cards" once again in this day and age is plain STUPID!!
    Yes, they do take debit,
    see even Costco takes Debit cards, which is the way most people pay their way these days....just sayin... and as for rudeness, if 2 long time members here in which i respect their opinion state they've had a rude experience their, well then I'll consider it a rude range....

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's my previous experience, too.

Customer service is about going beyond. Sometimes it's about bending rules. If all we did at work was fix cars, we wouldn't be in business for long. We do so many other little things that never show up on a bill, and that is what keeps people coming back.

Doing things that don't show up on an invoice is completely different from bending a rule for one guy with 20-30 other people standing behind him in line - watching the transaction - and then expecting the same rule bending be in place for them.

I can appreciate that you don't like the way they conduct their business, and yeah it's the only place in town that I have to actually bring cash, but that (the cash thing) doesn't really bother me. I don't like some of the range changes and rules they've had to implement because of some idiot decided to see if he could shoot over the burms. I even think their prices are a little high, but I honestly don't have any problems with their customer service. The only other range in town that I use with any regularity is Bullethole, but *only* because there are times I want to be able to retrieve and setup my own paper targets. Other than that, Bracken is my go-to range.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There's bending the rules, and then there's customer service. Bracken has a reputation for being rude to their customers, but at least the range is safely run. The Bullethole has a reputation for being a dangerous place to shoot, which is why I refuse to set foot on the place anymore. I witnessed firsthand way too many basic range violations that went unaddressed by the staff there, and they seem to not care when it is brought to their attention. The final straw for me was when one of the pinheads that work there almost ran us over when he was speeding through the parking lot, then had the audacity to yell at us about his mistake! Well, forget them, and I made sure to let all of my shooting friends know about it. Didn't seem to matter, as most already came to the same conclusion due to their own experiences. One guy I work with was yelled at by the owner for picking up his own brass!

Sorry, the Bullethole has to be the worst range in San Antonio, and I'd rather drive the ten extra miles to go to Blackhawk. And I am not alone in that consensus, most people I know who shoot in this city won't go their either. It's just a matter of time before that place goes under, and they will be able to contribute it to the poor way they treated their customers. In this day and age, failing to provide at least a decent amount of customer service is enough to drive people elsewhere; and Bracken needs to learn that lesson quickly as well as that range is already coming under fire from the nearby neighborhood that is loudly complaining about it...

Klacktor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I gotta get on board and say that the staff can be a little cranky and very short tempered. I waited at the window for about 10 minutes before being acknowleged on my last visit. The cash only policy and other range rules are enforced in a no nonsense manner that portrays very little customer service skill. That being said they are keen on keeping the range safe and if that means a lack of customer service, then so be it. Safety is priority number one. I've considered taking my business elsewhere and have done so from time to time. But on the days im willing to deal with it, I'm the one who drove myself there after all. Also don't let them think that you're picking up someone else's brass because they'll rip your head off. They need it to reload and sell at $20 for a box of 50. ouch.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Bracken has been my go-to range since '98 when I moved back to SA. I've also been to every other outdoor range within 20 miles ... once. Although the focus at Bracken is safety first, I've still been swept by pistol, revolver, rifle, and shotgun muzzles by ppl that should have known better but didn't. When the staff sees that, they rightfully get a bit out of sorts, and I'm sure they see that on a daily basis. If being told you are unsafe equals being rude, find another range.

Also, If you've never been to a "Wounded Warrior Shoot" at Bracken Recreational Range, you'll never appreciate the kindness of those folks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom