• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gregg1LE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Arlington , Texas
    I've been thinking about purchasing a .45 for home defense, the round speaks for itself. After some research,I have narrowed the field down to three handguns, the Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pro, the Kahr CW45,and the Ruger P345.Both the Ruger and the Bersa come with all the controls and features of more expensive handguns, and the Kahr is plain jane,lacking a safety and accessory rail, but has the big name.I know the UC Pro 45 is basically the same chassis as my 9 UC pro (which both me and my wife love) and the P345 handles very similiar to my SR9,which I like.All three get decent reviews from what I've read.

Please give any experiences and opinions on these handguns to further enhance my decision making !Thanks.....

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the ruger will be your best bet as for price and still have reliability of the higher names
    i like kahrs but wouldnt ever pay what they want for what they offer

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I've heard damn good things about that compact bersa 45... What about something like a Judge wheelgun where you get that 45 caliber for home defense but you get the benefit of loading a few .410 shells into the mix as well...

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    For the price your not gonna beat the Bersa, never heard anyone have a bad thing to say about 'em, the Kahr is going to be the most expensive by far of the three, and I'm just not a fan of Ruger's semi-autos. I've got a Bersa, and although it's not my go to gun in every situation (it's just a .380) I have found it extremly dependable having over 700 rounds through it in the short time I've had it, and not had a single problem. If you want to spend more than $600 then get the Kahr, otherwise I'd get the Bersa.

Now if those aren't your only options there are a whole other list of .45s I could recommend, but based on your 3 choices the Bersa gets my vote for all around quality, and value.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    Out of the 3 i pick the ruger. IMO I would buy a glock 30sf. I had one and sold it and have regreted it ever since. It will be my next gun purchase. Good luck with the purchase

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    yeah i regret selling my 30sf as well,but my best friend jake has it and is giving it a good home. i'll probably buy another one and send it in for a grip reduction to take the hump out.

In-Yo-Grill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Texas
    For the price your not gonna beat the Bersa, never heard anyone have a bad thing to say about 'em, the Kahr is going to be the most expensive by far of the three, and I'm just not a fan of Ruger's semi-autos. I've got a Bersa, and although it's not my go to gun in every situation (it's just a .380) I have found it extremly dependable having over 700 rounds through it in the short time I've had it, and not had a single problem. If you want to spend more than $600 then get the Kahr, otherwise I'd get the Bersa.

Now if those aren't your only options there are a whole other list of .45s I could recommend, but based on your 3 choices the Bersa gets my vote for all around quality, and value.

If you spend $600 for a Kahr CW45 you've been had. The CW45 may look cheap but it can't be beat for concealment. I can't imagine that you are going to want to put a light on any gun and make it easy to tuck away. As far as a safety goes, they are striker fire pistols and don't work like a "cocked and locked" style gun.

I carry a P45, the CW45's older brother, and it has the same internals as the CW45 but is just a bit prettier. Shoots great and conceals easily.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    About $500.00 for a Glock 30. Less if used.

Standard mag for a Glock 30 is 10 rounds of .45 but it can also accomodate a Glock 21 mag for 13 rounds. You can always purchase a KRISS Super V extended mag so that your Glock 30 will hold 30 rounds of .45 hollow points. I'd hate to meet someone that could survive 30 rounds of that.

To be honest you could get a 12-gauge pump action Mossberg for less than you'd spend on a .45 and it'll do the job.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    How much are actually willing to spend? It helps narrow down the field. I mean the top votes for me will go to Glock, HK, Sig, M&P, and Springfield XD, but any of those are going to run you $500 or more new, unless u find a good used one. And any of those I would recommend more than the 3 u mentioned, but if that's not in your budget it makes a difference.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Whats your buget? You can be patient and get some good deals on used guns. Personally, I'd pick ruger on that bunch for a home handgun. I trush rugers a lot more than Bersa. I'm not familar with the other one. A shotgun is never a bad idea.

Frankly, a budget 45 usually stands for a 9mm luger. : P, but it seem like you already have one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Saginaw
    You have huge list
    Ruger P90
    RIA 1911
    Auo ordnance 1911
    Norinco 1911
    Merto Arms 1911
    American Classic II 1911
    EAA witness
    S&W 3rd gen
    Star
    Astra
    The list goes on an on....

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    There is a huge list, but knowing what the budget is, and finding out why he chose the 3 he did would help to narrow it down. Maybe those are the guns he has had experience with (he says he has a Bersa), or are recommended by friends, and family. Or maybe he just has a personal preference for those particular guns.

So if you would give us a little more info on budget, and the reasons u like the 3 u do, it would help us help u.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    yeah i regret selling my 30sf as well,but my best friend jake has it and is giving it a good home. i'll probably buy another one and send it in for a grip reduction to take the hump out.

Yes, It's mine all mine and I carry it with me everywhere.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not a fan of Bersa's. I have seen several new ones break and end up getting returned. Out of the 3 listed, the Ruger will be your best bet. It's full sized so it will be easier to use and manipulate, and will just make for a better home defense gun. The Kahr CW45 is nice, but to me that is more a concealment gun. For a home defense gun, I would always go with a full size as it will generally recoil less, you have more surface area to grab on to when you have to manipulate it, etc.

PeterGunn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Paris TX
    I'll add one to your suggestion list, if you don't mind. The STI Spartan is a great buy. This Basic design 1911 comes from Armscor in the Phillipines, with O.E.M., (usually found on custom or upper tier guns) add-ons and are
    imported/distributed/warranteed, stateside, with Adjustable rear sight and Fiber Optic front. Frames/Slides are Armscor to STI specs. Internal go bang parts are all STI and shipped to the Phillipines, as I understand it, for assembly. Nice, working 1911, to start with. Runs Great, right out of the box.

To the OP, street price is well within your range. STI International - STI. Select single-stack 1911s
    >
    and Spartan, in that window.
    You have huge list
    Ruger P90
    RIA 1911
    Auo ordnance 1911
    Norinco 1911
    Merto Arms 1911
    American Classic II 1911
    EAA witness
    S&W 3rd gen
    Star
    Astra
    The list goes on an on....

PeterGunn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Paris TX
    I've been thinking about purchasing a .45 for home defense, the round speaks for itself. After some research,I have narrowed the field down to three handguns, the Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pro, the Kahr CW45,and the Ruger P345.Both the Ruger and the Bersa come with all the controls and features of more expensive handguns, and the Kahr is plain jane,lacking a safety and accessory rail, but has the big name.I know the UC Pro 45 is basically the same chassis as my 9 UC pro (which both me and my wife love) and the P345 handles very similiar to my SR9,which I like.All three get decent reviews from what I've read.

Please give any experiences and opinions on these handguns to further enhance my decision making !Thanks.....

Well, if it HAS to be one of those 3, RUGER....HANDS DOWN! Reliable+.
    I'd still opt for a GM 1911. But that's just me.... just go fondle one at the gunstore.

Top Bottom