• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    I have a Ruger BX-25 x2 that isn't reliable in any of my 10/22's anyone else have issues with this mag?
    ARJ Defense ad

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yep. I have never had a BX mag work in any of our 7 10/22s. I ended up either giving them all away or selling them for less than I paid.

I just found one still in the box but I am not even going to open it. If the other 3 didn't work there is no reason to expect this one to.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I love BX25s and use them all the time. I bought the BX25x2 and had no problems with it, but I sold it when someone offered $100 during the last hi-cap mag freak out. You can take your mag apart and fix most common loading problems by inserting a slightly-shortened 22LR casing over a certain part of the spindle. Google it and you should find the DIY info.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I love BX25s and use them all the time. I bought the BX25x2 and had no problems with it, but I sold it when someone offered $100 during the last hi-cap mag freak out. You can take your mag apart and fix most common loading problems by inserting a slightly-shortened 22LR casing over a certain part of the spindle. Google it and you should find the DIY info.

Glad you like them. Next time I see you you are welcome to the one I just found. The Butler Creek Steel Lips mags have been flawless for me for years, and I just bought a bunch of them for $10 each from CDNN.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    BXs

All flawless for me.

Bought a Ruger takedown 10/22 stainless in the gray plastic case in New Braunfels today.
    Figured it was a good deal ($220) until he (guy tired of walking it) pulled out several extra factory BX mags. Made a GREAT deal!

They (the BX-15s and BX25s) all shot flawlwssly when I got home with Mini-Mags and Gemtech subsonic.
    With the CCI "Quiet" 710 FPS it's silly-quiet with my off-hand holding the bolt closed and then jacking the bolt back manually!!!
    Love it.

Problem solving 101:
    If a mag does not work in several guns it's a bad mag.
    If several mags do not work in a gun it's a bad gun.

I've had bad non-Ruger mags. Common.
    I've had a couple bad 10/22s in that they do not extract a round manually. Fixed with a $10 Volquartsen extractor.
    I've never had a bad Ruger factory mag. I'll take luck before skill any day!!!

I don't really like 10/22s all that much.
    Please do NOT ask me why I own five of them.

The ONE thing I'll observe:
    Do NOT hold a BX25 or BX25x2 mag and move it fore or aft.

Putting pressure on the long BX mags alters their feed angle.
    A couple 10/22s I've encountered had loose enough mag well tolerances that torquing the mags to the front or rear caused malfeeding or impeded the bolt motion.

Another case for my beloved BX15s.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    To the uninitiated:
    The BX15 mags are perfect.
    10 round mags require fumbling.
    25 round mags get in the way.
    50 round (25x2) rounds make sense, confronting zombie hordes.
    My 50 round Black Dog drum, lubed with a touch of graphite powder is flawless, though monstrous.

The BX15 mags are just the perfect compromise IMO.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    BXs

All flawless for me.

Bought a Ruger takedown 10/22 stainless in the gray plastic case in New Braunfels today.
    Figured it was a good deal ($220) until he (guy tired of walking it) pulled out several extra factory BX mags. Made a GREAT deal!

They (the BX-15s and BX25s) all shot flawlwssly when I got home with Mini-Mags and Gemtech subsonic.
    With the CCI "Quiet" 710 FPS it's silly-quiet with my off-hand holding the bolt closed and then jacking the bolt back manually!!!
    Love it.

Problem solving 101:
    If a mag does not work in several guns it's a bad mag.
    If several mags do not work in a gun it's a bad gun.

I've had bad non-Ruger mags. Common.
    I've had a couple bad 10/22s in that they do not extract a round manually. Fixed with a $10 Volquartsen extractor.
    I've never had a bad Ruger factory mag. I'll take luck before skill any day!!!

I don't really like 10/22s all that much.
    Please do NOT ask me why I own five of them.

The ONE thing I'll observe:
    Do NOT hold a BX25 or BX25x2 mag and move it fore or aft.

Putting pressure on the long BX mags alters their feed angle.
    A couple 10/22s I've encountered had loose enough mag well tolerances that torquing the mags to the front or rear caused malfeeding or impeded the bolt motion.

Another case for my beloved BX15s.

Pretty sure I do not have 7 bad guns as every other magazine I have used in them with every type of ammo (hv) has worked flawlessly with the exception of the BX mags.

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    I have 10 BX25 mags and the only problem I have is they get dirty fast with a can. I assume the occasional failure to feed is a super dirty gun.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have 10 BX25 mags and the only problem I have is they get dirty fast with a can. I assume the occasional failure to feed is a super dirty gun.
    Only thing I can think of is most of my 10/22s are older guns, or I bought a bad batch of mags. Either way, I will not be buying any more of them as there are plenty of alternatives that work ( notice I did not say work better)

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pretty sure I do not have 7 bad guns as every other magazine I have used in them with every type of ammo (hv) has worked flawlessly with the exception of the BX mags.

Let us know if you figure it out.
    Seems too consistent to be just bad luck.

I just ordered a couple of the 15s since they seem to get bought first at the shows.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

I just ordered a couple of the 15s since they seem to get bought first at the shows.

Where did you order those Bx-15s. I found about the cheapest price at Bud's Gun shop. $19.98

Just ordered a couple.

Last edited:

Hfrog355

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    BX-25s are the only 20+ round mags I've ever heard of working in 10/22s. Love mine and have never had an issue.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

I have figured it out, just use mags that work( Butler Creek, Ram-Line( the ones I have are 20+ years old and still work) Black Dog, and every other after market mag I have tried has worked fine. The Ruger factory 10 rounders work fine. I will just continue to use them and leave the BX to the people they actually work for.

Top Bottom