• subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Hey Y'all,

I joined up a the Madison County Gun and Archery Club, as I now reside a good deal north of Houston, and I need to get some trigger time in.

I know from previous trips out there that you have to bring your own targets and stands.

I have no issue with this, but I'm wondering what everyone else brings....was shopping around on Amazon and you cam drop a lot of coin real fast on pistol targets! LOL!

I'm kinda digging this one - https://www.amazon.com/One-EZ-Post-..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PNZ207NCRDTQF66VBATA but am looking for a dueling tree as well, and a basic paper target holder.

What do y'all use on the cheap?

Thanks!!
    Target Sports

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I made a simple three piece set up frame out of wood.
    The base was H shaped. Made from 2x4.
    The standing frame was just a simple rectangular shape made from 1x2 wood with legs that plugged into slots on the base.
    The target paper was pinned on a piece of that plastic corrugated material similar to cardboard. This piece slipped into a slot on the upright piece.
    Took just a minute to set up/take down. Lay flat for travel.
    If windy lay something on the base legs to keep from falling over. (Stone, brick, sandbag, whatever was handy)
    Simple, cheap, and easily replaced if shot up.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Also, where do you get the corrugated plastic?
    It's called Coroplast and years ago I bought it from Regal by the 4'x8' sheet but don't remember the price. You may be able to buy it from / through your local sign shop too.

https://www.regal-plastics.com/
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Coropla...te-Corrugated-Plastic-Sheet-CP4896S/205351385
    https://www.staples.com/corrugated+plastic+sheet/directory_corrugated+plastic+sheet

Bend 1/2" rebar into a U, clamp Visegrips near the end and step on them to drive the legs into the ground.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The foam poster board at Wally World stationary dept. works really well for $.88. I keep 2 or 3 in the trunk for when I need them.

from an idjit coffeeholic

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I know from previous trips out there that you have to bring your own targets and stands.
    First, paper targets -

There are stands out there, unless something has changed recently. I find the 100-yard and further berms tend to have the target frames all shot up. The portable target frames used on the pistol side (and there are always a couple in front of the rifle benches, too) are pretty well made. Still, bringing one of your own is never a bad idea.

Second, steel targets -

Since there's no pistol steel on the range and the rifle steel is often all shot up, I tend to take one or two JC Steel targets with me. I prefer the durability of the ones that hang atop a t-post. A couple of ~$36 plates, a couple of ~$22 hangers, and a couple of ~$4 t-posts and I'm set for the day.

Of course, there are problems with t-posts. They can be too tall and then you'll need a hacksaw. You need a driver to put them in the ground. And if you get carried away and drive them in too far, you'll feel like you need one of these to take them back out. Still, I like 'em. YMMV. I can certainly understand how other folks might prefer a more elaborate stand that sits atop the ground and is easily removed.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    First, paper targets -

There are stands out there, unless something has changed recently. I find the 100-yard and further berms tend to have the target frames all shot up. The portable target frames used on the pistol side (and there are always a couple in front of the rifle benches, too) are pretty well made. Still, bringing one of your own is never a bad idea.

Second, steel targets -

Since there's no pistol steel on the range and the rifle steel is often all shot up, I tend to take one or two JC Steel targets with me. I prefer the durability of the ones that hang atop a t-post. A couple of ~$36 plates, a couple of ~$22 hangers, and a couple of ~$4 t-posts and I'm set for the day.

Of course, there are problems with t-posts. They can be too tall and then you'll need a hacksaw. You need a driver to put them in the ground. And if you get carried away and drive them in too far, you'll feel like you need one of these to take them back out. Still, I like 'em. YMMV. I can certainly understand how other folks might prefer a more elaborate stand that sits atop the ground and is easily removed.
    Ben, as usual, your mentorship is AMAZING. Thank you!!

I love the idea of t-posts, but currently my sole transport is a Hyundai Ioniq, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry target material in it, which is a stretch at best. Once I have a truck again, t-posts are happening.

I havent gotten to go shoot (for my enjoyment) in a couple of years now....currently have 2 babies under 2 years old...but I've been so stressed out and frustrated lately that I'm dredging up my old ways of dealing with stress, and I've decided that I need to get back on a range.

Joined the MCGAC a couple months ago...trying to get my kit together now. I need some bang therapy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    Drive by a large real estate agency and there will probably be real estate signs in the dumpster as they always seem to throw signs away. Keep the frame and replace the sheet metal sign with cardboard, the frame is made to stick in the ground. Been using them for years.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Park your car downrange perpendicular to line of fire.
    Roll down driver and passenger windows.
    Place target board in drivers window.
    Shoot target.
    Bullets pass thru car and exit out passenger window.
    No mess.
    Roll up windows and drive home.
    Just don't miss.
    g3BFcF.gif

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Be lots of Butthole signs available on Tues. I get wire stands an all, don't have to build a frame. Staple gun puts a bullseye target on it if you have to have it.

Name on the sign doesn’t matter to me.

Will have to target stands with backer as soon as the election is over.

Cruz supports the 2A and I’m sure he would appreciate me putting his sign to good use after the election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom