• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • C5Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    San Antonio
    Besides your basic holster draw and dry fire practice, what are some practical drills y’all like to run? I’m not a competitive shooter or operator. I’m just an average joe looking for new drills pertaining to concealed carry to make the most of my range time.
    Hurley's Gold

Jedi54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2023
    DFW, Texas
    dry practice: just lots of perfect presentations out to a small target (I use a post it note)
    practice clearing malfunctions

range: ragged hole drill
    1x1 square target
    shoot 5 shots: goal is to put them all in the black square

then do 5 reps dry.

then load up and shoot another 1x1 square.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Shoot in a local IDPA match if you can. You'll get used to your handgun and holster mainly but it will also help accuracy. Not really self defense training, too many rules, no rules in a gun fight. I usually practice on an IDPA target, throw some clay birds on the berm and break them up for fun. Great practice because the target gets smaller and smaller.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Besides your basic holster draw and dry fire practice, what are some practical drills y’all like to run? I’m not a competitive shooter or operator. I’m just an average joe looking for new drills pertaining to concealed carry to make the most of my range time.
    Get some paper plates. Start with 9". As you improve, go to 5" plates...

First time? place three, nine inch paper plates at 5 to 7 yards.

Hands natural (vary starting positions as skills improve to where holding "baby" or "groceries")...at sides...

At the beep, draw. Engage one target. Repeat for all three targets. Use full cylinder/magazine.

If? You have a friend? Have them record the times. DO NOT LOOK! (when you get home, you can study those at your leisure)

Next time? Load five or six rounds. Draw. Shoot one. Holster. Draw. Shoot two...repeat. ...etc...

Say you loaded six? On shot #6? Draw. Shoot Target designated #6, RELOAD, engage target #7...

Every time to the range...Shoot one mag/cylinder strong hand ONLY, shoot one mag/cylinder WEAK HAND only.

First shots. Reloads. This practice/exercise a pistolero make.

I have two, 24rd courses that will WEAR YOU OUT! But? You practice them? You will be better/more confident of your ability.

Now? We talk of hits. Only "Center" hits count (you know how the paper plate has a pleated rim? bullet strikes there? ZERO!)

Once you can keep all shots on the 9" plates at 5 to 7 yds.? Move them to 15yds. Then repeat.

When all shots are on 9" plates at 15yds? Bring them back to 7yds. If using an auto? NOW work on the "double tap".

Only practice fifty rounds at a time. (fatigue sets in ......if you are TRYING)....

When all double taps are on 9" plates at 7yds?

Now start over with the 5" plates.

Hope this helps.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

One major caveat:

Those new lightweight nylon fishing shirts are like spiderwebs and can severely inhibit draws. Damned fabric keeps getting b/t hand & gun, big delays.

I’ll never buy another lightweight nylon shirt. The heavier fabrics don’t do this.

<>

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom