• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I’ve been buying Penzy’s chili powder as I find it is pretty decent. But over the years their increasing wokeness has me looking elsewhere. I’ve looked at Pendery’s, and their list of 20ish chili powder blends and lacking ingredient list doesn’t help.

Most of the supermarket varieties include an undetermined amount of salt and equally lacking in the ingredient list. I prefer to add a known amount of salt so salt free chili powder is preferred.

I’m looking for a chili powder with a good base of ancho chili, but to include ground chipotle, guajillo, chile de arbo, and possibly others. The heat point should be a good medium to medium hot as I can add heat as needed with habanero.

What chili powders do the folks on here like to use to make a good batch of Texas chili?

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I'll stay with Penzeys Medium Hot (Ancho chili pepper, cayenne red pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic and Mexican oregano). I add sliced jalapenos and a tbsp of cinnamon powder.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    I appreciate this thread, very nice / hot!!

I know these are *very* commercial...but I still find them pretty tasty:
    -Carrol Shelby's (in a brown paper bag)
    -Wick Fowler's (my wife's favorite)

I've made my own from scratch when I'm really in the mood for TREMENDOUS chili...but it does take some time (as in start on it the day before, mix a good chunk of the spices with the meat and let it dry marinate overnight...so good!).

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I make my own from various dried chilis from the local Mexican supermarket (Fiesta Mart).
    Mostly guajillo and ancho, pasilla (true pasilla which is dried chilaca), then I add chipotle, Chile de Arbol, cayenne - hot peppers.
    If I have some mild Hatch peppers I use those dried instead of ancho.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I make my own from various dried chilis from the local Mexican supermarket (Fiesta Mart).
    Mostly guajillo and ancho, pasilla (true pasilla which is dried chilaca), then I add chipotle, Chile de Arbol, cayenne - hot peppers.
    If I have some mild Hatch peppers I use those dried instead of ancho.

That is the sort of thing I’d ultimately like to do.
    I know the Penzey’s chili powder is based around ancho chili.

Would you care to share what portions of the different chilis you use?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I’ve been buying Penzy’s chili powder as I find it is pretty decent. But over the years their increasing wokeness has me looking elsewhere. I’ve looked at Pendery’s, and their list of 20ish chili powder blends and lacking ingredient list doesn’t help.

Most of the supermarket varieties include an undetermined amount of salt and equally lacking in the ingredient list. I prefer to add a known amount of salt so salt free chili powder is preferred.

I’m looking for a chili powder with a good base of ancho chili, but to include ground chipotle, guajillo, chile de arbo, and possibly others. The heat point should be a good medium to medium hot as I can add heat as needed with habanero.

What chili powders do the folks on here like to use to make a good batch of Texas chili?
    <>

Try Maceo Spice Co in Galveston.

maceo spice co

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>’

Many years ago, I was taught about Texas chili by a late friend who grew-up on a very famous Reagan County cattle ranch which he still partly owned. He used spice blends from Hatch N.M. or from a Friend’s home garden in Piedras Negras.

Guy was quite a home cook, had even studied under Paul Bocuse @ Lyon and had written his own cookbooks.

He didn’t seem too concerned about the chile (powder) mix chosen, as long as it was fresh, from the same season, not a prior year. He said it was OK for folks to have their own pepper blend preferences.

But he was adamant to use beef suet, which one usually must make for oneself by heating beef fat.

He used only good lean beef, well-trimmed of fat and diced or cubed. His favorite was 8# beef & 2# young goat. No “ground meat’. He’d pre-fry about half the beef for browning first.

Chopped white or yellow onion, fresh red & green bell peppers, crushed garlic “ajo”. Always cooked in a seasoned Iron pot, and left on stovetop overnight to cool & flavors blend. (Yes, I know, but that’s how he did it.)

If beans were desired, they were cooked and served SEPARATELY in different bowls.
    ’He mostly served w/ hot buttered corn tortillas, but had no objection to tortillas de harina or home-made cornbread.

Even the mention of tomatoes would bring indignant commentary.

He’d add a big spoonful of masa trigo or “jar roux”, to thicken the juices.

About the time Friend died, back around 1981, Texas Monthly Magazine ran a featured article about “Things which DON’T belong in real Texas Chili.’’

This is a note on Friend’s famous Dad; my Friend was “Jr.”:

As they say: “One helluva Guy!”

leVieux

<>

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    That is the sort of thing I’d ultimately like to do.
    I know the Penzey’s chili powder is based around ancho chili.

Would you care to share what portions of the different chilis you use?
    It's a rough proportion - someday I need to turn it into a real recipe.
    Say 75% a 50/50 mix of guajillo and ancho (or dried Hatch is not available)
    10% pasilla (dried chilaca)
    then 5% chile de arbol, 5% chipotle. Bump these to taste to make 100%
    I like chile de arbol - likely my favorite hot pepper next to cayenne and scotch bonnet.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    BTW - I will share my favorite pepper provider ever.
    Flatiron Pepper company. I chat with the owners all the time and we swap peppers and recipes.
    Great folks!
    Anyway I highly recommend their pepper blends and I have to say almost everything I cook I add one of their blends.
    My faves are Jalapeno and smoked garlic and onion, Dark and smoky blend, Chipotle, smoked onion and garlic, Asian blend - man I bet have about 8 of their blends along with their grinder which you just screw on a bottle and get a finer grind. I've used the chipotle blend to make a chili powder that was pretty tasty.
    Use this link to get $5 off an order: Flatiron Pepper Company

Last edited:
    Top Bottom