• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    BTW - I will share my favorite pepper provider ever.
    Flatiron Pepper company. I chat with the owners all the time and we swap peppers and recipes.
    Great folks!
    Anyway I highly recommend their pepper blends and I have to say almost everything I cook I add one of their blends.
    My faves are Jalapeno and smoked garlic and onion, Dark and smoky blend, Chipotle, smoked onion and garlic, Asian blend - man I bet have about 8 of their blends along with their grinder which you just screw on a bottle and get a finer grind. I've used the chipotle blend to make a chili powder that was pretty tasty.
    Use this link to get $5 off an order: Flatiron Pepper Company

Thank you! I think....LOL....ordering from their site now...got to be careful about the scoville units....I see some 450K (and up!) on there...OUCH!! I'm more about flavor than "I can't feel my face" (750K WOW!!!!) LOL! I'm going to get the grinder too, I like that. I'll let you know how it goes!!

So, just completed my order - used your referral link, got $5 off, total of $64.60 for the below. Looking forward to it!!

-Grinder

-Hatch Valley Green

-Four Pepper Blend

-Dark & Smoky

-Sweet Heat

-Jalapeno - Roasted Garlic - Toasted Onion

-Chipotle - Roasted Garlic - Toasted Onion

-BBQ RUB - Dark&Smoky < ----- I bought this one specifically for using on steaks - I think this will be AMAZING! I do a quick / high heat (700 degrees) sear on my steaks, I think the crust will be NUTS!!

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Probably foul play, but I won 3rd place with it in a chili competition once. I did add other stuff to it, so was just a starter mix not the whole flavor profile.

Hell, might have won first if I had left it alone :laughing:

Right?! I mean, seriously, for a quick / go to / get it at your average grocery store kit - it's hard to beat!

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Thank you! I think....LOL....ordering from their site now...got to be careful about the scoville units....I see some 450K (and up!) on there...OUCH!! I'm more about flavor than "I can't feel my face" (750K WOW!!!!) LOL! I'm going to get the grinder too, I like that. I'll let you know how it goes!!

So, just completed my order - used your referral link, got $5 off, total of $64.60 for the below. Looking forward to it!!

-Grinder

-Hatch Valley Green

-Four Pepper Blend

-Dark & Smoky

-Sweet Heat

-Jalapeno - Roasted Garlic - Toasted Onion

-Chipotle - Roasted Garlic - Toasted Onion

-BBQ RUB - Dark&Smoky < ----- I bought this one specifically for using on steaks - I think this will be AMAZING! I do a quick / high heat (700 degrees) sear on my steaks, I think the crust will be NUTS!!
    All excellent choices!
    I use the grinder to get the particle size down on the chipotle/garlic/onion and use it in my jerky mix.
    I have folks at work begging me to sell them bags. Really outstanding - good in chili as well.
    I use the jalapeno/garlic/onion in stir frys, in breakfast omelets and grits.
    You know how some "different" products taste amazingly self-similar?
    Not these guys - all of their blends are unique and quite different from each other.
    Bon appetite!

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    All excellent choices!
    I use the grinder to get the particle size down on the chipotle/garlic/onion and use it in my jerky mix.
    I have folks at work begging me to sell them bags. Really outstanding - good in chili as well.
    I use the jalapeno/garlic/onion in stir frys, in breakfast omelets and grits.
    You know how some "different" products taste amazingly self-similar?
    Not these guys - all of their blends are unique and quite different from each other.
    Bon appetite!
    Got my shipment o' spicy goodies yesterday....very, very nice! Looking forward to experimenting with all of it...I put a bit of the Sweet Heat on my dinner salad last night - was a nice touch. My next bowl of popcorn is going to get the Chipotle, Garlic & Toasted Onion treatment, for sure!

You're right, all of the products are very different, my nose got up close and personal with all fo them while popping the tops off and removing the safety barrier...had a nice little nose tingle afterwards LOL!

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    Carrol Shelby’s is good and I use it in a pinch, however there’s nothing like homemade we’re you can control the taste and heat. Find a Mexican market or carniceria they usually have a wide assortment of chili peppers.

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    If you want to experiment, look for some good (fresher is better) Hungarian hot paprika. Szezed makes it if you can find someone who carries it (the yellow "hot" can, not the red "sweet" can). It's a different kind of heat; more like mustard or horseradish than cayenne. Not super spicy, but it's a completely different flavor paprika to use. I mix it half and half with smoked sweet paprika. It's an excellent base for blackened stuff, add the tongue warmer of your choice.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    If you want to experiment, look for some good (fresher is better) Hungarian hot paprika. Szezed makes it if you can find someone who carries it (the yellow "hot" can, not the red "sweet" can). It's a different kind of heat; more like mustard or horseradish than cayenne. Not super spicy, but it's a completely different flavor paprika to use. I mix it half and half with smoked sweet paprika. It's an excellent base for blackened stuff, add the tongue warmer of your choice.

There's a fine line between chili and goulash...and I think that the Hungarian hot paprika is crossing it! LOL

Just teasing...sort of...but I always think of goulash when I hear +Hunarian and +paprika....and yeah....of course....paprika is used in chili...but it got me to thinking....chili and Eastern Euro goulash are somewhat related...maybe even more than I think? Been awhile since I've had goulash....

Last edited:

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    That's exactly what I use for my cajun blackened seasoning.

PUCKER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    DFW
    Got my shipment o' spicy goodies yesterday....very, very nice! Looking forward to experimenting with all of it...I put a bit of the Sweet Heat on my dinner salad last night - was a nice touch. My next bowl of popcorn is going to get the Chipotle, Garlic & Toasted Onion treatment, for sure!

You're right, all of the products are very different, my nose got up close and personal with all fo them while popping the tops off and removing the safety barrier...had a nice little nose tingle afterwards LOL!

I made chili this past weekend...those spices were THE BOMB!! My wife wasn't as happy as I was with the spicy outcome...I felt it IN MY TEETH!!!! LOL

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    There's a fine line between chili and goulash...and I think that the Hungarian hot paprika is crossing it! LOL

Just teasing...sort of...but I always think of goulash when I hear +Hunarian and +paprika....and yeah....of course....paprika is used in chili...but it got me to thinking....chili and Eastern Euro goulash are somewhat related...maybe even more than I think? Been awhile since I've had goulash....
    I've often thought goulash might be the original chili inspiration like schnitzel is for chicken fried steak. Eastern European immigration really got going after the civil war, and so did "Texas style" chili. Native dishes with ground chilis were generally more like a mole, or else made into something like a pemmican for storage; after all they had masa available, and didn't need to emulsify the lard with chili powder (for those who don't know much about goulash, to make the sauce think of cream gravy, but use paprika instead of flour).

I can just see some old hungarian grandma explaining to her family "Yes this is authentic like I used to make for Grandpa, except I have to use these damn mexican dried peppers. They don't even take out the seeds!"

:roflsmile:

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    Carrol Shelby’s is good and I use it in a pinch, however there’s nothing like homemade we’re you can control the taste and heat. Find a Mexican market or carniceria they usually have a wide assortment of chili peppers.
    I think the secret to shelby's is more in the packaging; the cumin is packaged separately, and is generally fresher smelling because of it. If you use a chili powder mix off the shelf, even the bargain brand, adding a healthy dose of very fresh ground cumin will lift it up ten notches in my opinion.

Top Bottom