• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caliburn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2022
    Houston
    TOPS knives are good, if you want to spend a bit more, Bark River makes great knives. their Bravo knife would be good to consider for bushcraft and defense if you want just one knife.
    Capitol Armory ad

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Here’s a suggestion: one knife will fill both needs. Look for a full tang blade. Something like the Ontario 499 is a good example.

Ontario Knife Company 499 Air Force Survival Knife 5" Sawback Blade with False Top Edge and Blood Grooves, Natural Leather Handle and Sheath - 6150 https://a.co/d/4wDh1gw

Actually, my suggestion was going to be the Ontario ASEK (Aircrew Survival Egress Knife)...

1659829668630.png

They can be found much cheaper on Amazon (below) or even eBay...

As for the Gerber Strongarm, it's a very nice knife but its smooth blade takes it off my list for survival knives.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Busse craftsmanship, materials, philosophy, made by Busse people but at a lower price point...

Swamp Rat Knife Works.

Oh, quite a guarantee as well.

But that Reeves, and Busse, wow.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Actually, my suggestion was going to be the Ontario ASEK (Aircrew Survival Egress Knife)...

View attachment 337061

They can be found much cheaper on Amazon (below) or even eBay...

As for the Gerber Strongarm, it's a very nice knife but its smooth blade takes it off my list for survival knives.
    You can get strongarms with a partially serrated blade now

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Currently building my kit and have been looking for a good combat/utility knife and another knife for bushcraft and survival needs. So far I’m thinking a Glock knife and a Mora Tactical Utility knife. Any other suggestions/recommendations?
    A combat knife isn't going to be a good utility or bushcraft knife...

A fighting knife is a specialty tool while a bushcraft/utility knife is a jack of all trades.

I have an Fairbairn-Applegate as my fighting knife (actually two... one a Boker, one a Blackjack) It works, very well. It is razor sharp and will slip between the ribs and into the heart on its own weight... I can kill with it just as fast as with a bullet to the lungs, only quieter.

My utility knife is an ESEE4. Very solid knife and I am happy with it. I wish it was a more corrosion resistant steel. It does take and hold an edge. You can't have everything...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    92f7cb3f6afc1c60d499311630d6580f.jpg

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Depends on how much you want or are willing to spend.

Be careful, this journey to find knives can very easily take you down the rabbit hole...

The difficulty is that there are sooo many brands,.types, materials, and features to choose from.

I recommend YouTube knife reviews before you spending money and going down a rabbit hole. I like Stassa23 and MetalComplex.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The difficulty is that there are sooo many brands,.types, materials, and features to choose from.

I recommend YouTube knife reviews before you spending money and going down a rabbit hole. I like Stassa23 and MetalComplex.
    Back when I was doing the SCI convention we got free entry into the American Bladesmiths show. Think the guys on Forged in Fire are all members. I would say if you want a heirloom knife start looking to their members.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    A few years back, I won a semi custom folder at an event. When I put it up, I realized I only had one fixed blade, and it was mediocre at best. I ended up with an ESEE-4S-B https://eseeknives.com/product/esee-4. It was fairly economical at the time, with features that suited my needs. There are other knives out there that are most likely better, but for now, this one works.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I have, as @MTA89 pointed out, the Gerber Strongarm that I have on my defensive vest. It is a full tang knife, so it can be used for chopping and works great with my ferrous rod for starting fires. Very well balanced.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I have, as @MTA89 pointed out, the Gerber Strongarm that I have on my defensive vest. It is a full tang knife, so it can be used for chopping and works great with my ferrous rod for starting fires. Very well balanced.
    Its a good knife. I have one NIB that I need to try out. My brother has edc'd one for years

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Can't remember if I responded. If I was to start over again minimum per your supposed requirements, cheap, I'd get an SAK, a KABAR, an 18" machete, and a diamond sharpener. These worked 60 years ago. They are still available and will work now. Food processing blades can be extra. This is TX so a machete is preferable to a hatchet. JMHO...

Top Bottom