Austin, TX
    Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC Holster Review

19.jpg

• Excellent Concealment
    • Comfortable
    • Adjustability
    • Fast Turnaround
    • IWB

The Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC holster is a great Texas made holster. The backing is a natural cowhide leather that's available in black or tan (called Chestnut). The backing comes with a full sweat guard which helps to keep sweat off of the gun and prevent the serrations or hammer from digging into your skin. A sweat guard can be intrusive to a draw stroke if you come down onto the gun, and as a result some manufacturers offer their holsters without this option. Personally I do not have a problem with this feature since my thumb is indexing high, and the additional comfort (especially seated) is well worth it.

The half-shell is made from a heat-malleable plastic called Kydex. Kydex is extremely popular in holster making because of it's malleable properties when gently heated and it's rigidity when set. This makes it far easier to work than leather which speeds up production times and, in my opinion, builds a better holster. The major downside to Kydex is that it's hard, meaning when grit gets between the gun and the holster you will increase the wear rate on the finish. Being that I carry a Glock, I again ... have no issue with this. Keeping the gun clean and the holster clean will reduce this significantly. One thing I also noticed is that Comp-Tac has altered the styling and design of the outer shell. The trigger guard portion has an indentation to act like a retention lock, and it does work well. It takes considerably more effort to draw from this version than my old Gen 1 MTAC. The upside is far, far better retention should you end up on the ground or wrestling with someone.

15.jpg

18.jpg

The Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC offers phenomenal amounts of adjustability. The C-Clips allow you to adjust the cant of the holster as well as the depth. For those that want deeper concealment you can run the gun lower in your waist, and for those like myself that want a fast draw you can run it high. The cant is adjustable as well, which allows comfortable and easy working from a 2 o'clock position to a behind the hip carry. Further adjustment is available to those that want to carry multiple types of firearms. The Comp-Tac Minotaur offers interchangeable half-shells which allows you to use one holster with multiple types of handguns. Additional half-shells (aka "Spare Bodies") are available from Comp-Tac for $38 and are easily interchanged with 4 Allen screws.

"The Comp-Tac Minotaur offers interchangeable half-shells which allows you to use one holster with multiple types of handguns."

17.jpg

Concealment

1.jpg

3.jpg

For every day carry I chose the Comp Tac Minotaur MTAC in black with 1.5" belt clips for my Glock 19. (Pictured Above) I find it to be a very comfortable and very capable holster. In fact, I'm on my second MTAC ... the first (a Gen I) fell victim to being submerged.

To buy one visit Comp-Tac's website: http://www.comp-tac.com
    Capitol Armory ad

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Nice review

I've had one for 4 years, never an issue with it.
    'Course I didn't drown mine :-*

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I like the "spare body" idea. I had to buy another CBST when I wanted to change my carry gun.

How exactly did you ruin your first one?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I love my MTAC. It's also a +1 that they're Texas-made! They're based down the road from me, in fact. :)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I love my MTAC. It's also a +1 that they're Texas-made! They're based down the road from me, in fact. :)

Yup, the world revolves around Alex :-*

I failed to mention their customer service is pretty dang good too. Needed some different size belt clips and after BS'n with Jan a little, she tossed a cap into the delivery, gratis. It's good when a company realizes someone wearing their gear is ACTUALLY FREE ADVERTISING.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have an MTAC I use on a daily basis. It's also worth noting that he design is such that you can form a new mold yourself using kydex or ABS and the mounting points are spaced well enough to accomidate a rail laser. Here's my P30 with a Lasermax attached. (I now use a Armalaser RSS as I prefer the bio-electric switch to the mechanical)

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

moki

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    DFW
    I've had one for about a year and a half myself and love the thing. I use it for my full size 1911 and it's very comfortable. And yes, the customer service is awesome! I plan on buying more shells for some of my other pistols.

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I have two, one for my glock 23, one for my Commander. Wear one or the other everyday. Best IWB holster I've
    ever used. I also hae one of their belt holsters I used daily in Iraq. They're excellent too!!!

Medic218

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Little Elm
    I love my MTAC!
    I've been using mine for about 3 years and its by far the best holster I own.
    I also have their Infidel IWB holster and it's fantastic as well.
    I'm convinced that you just can't go wrong with Comp-Tac.
    As long as they're in business they'll have me as a customer.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I have one also it was a great holster but it has been relegated to the holster box since I started AIWB carry. I would not even consider the Comptac Minotaur Appendix Rig.

Top Bottom