• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Having seen my first 30.07 sign at HEB yesterday. How is a 1 inch white letter on clear glass considered a contrasting color? This one is posted at the lowest outside corner of an automatic door. Hard to read. HEB in New Braunfels if anyone cares.
    Texas SOT

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Having seen my first 30.07 sign at HEB yesterday. How is a 1 inch white letter on clear glass considered a contrasting color? This one is posted at the lowest outside corner of an automatic door. Hard to read. HEB in New Braunfels if anyone cares.

"Contrasting colors" has never been defined or tested.

If it's readable, by definition there's contrast difference. How much is subjective and hasn't yet been argued. I wouldn't bet on contrast being a deciding factor in a jury verdict.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    I surely don't have the disposable funds to be a test case but you would think that is something they would have worked out by now. Take towing for example. There are very specific rules on the color, height, placement of signs etc... That have legal ramifications attached to them. There are fines attached to improper gun signs now but not the lettering on 30.07 and 30.06?

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    311ec202812d46ece7fdafd15ae1877a.jpg

I know it's a pic and that takes away from what you would actually see in person. I have a hard time calling it contrasting in my pic especially given that I'm not that far away from the signs when I took the pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I think it would pretty difficult to prove that CLEAR GLASS is a contrasting color.

Not at all. The sign has to be a contrasting color. If it's visible, by definition, it's contrasted, strictly meaning there's a degree of noticeable difference. How much difference and how much more notable is up for argument.

It's a defense to prosecution, so if you're willing to spend the money the defense is yours to argue. You also have to find 12 people that couldn't get out of jury duty to agree with you that "visible" isn't the same as "contrasting."

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm pretty sure it still means they dont want you to oc in there

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Could you see it? That is contrasting.

30.06 signs have been this way for over a decade.

c.read

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Braunfels
    I live in New Braunfels and I had never noticed the sign. But I guess I'll be shopping at Walmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There's a store near me with black letters on clear glass. However, the tile floor of the entryway is also black. When you approach the entrance, you actually see black letters on a black background. I only noticed the 30.06 sign when a sliding glass door with an ad attached to it went behind the sign. Then I could tell there was something on the glass. I actually had to go inside and look back out to confirm that it was a 30.06 sign.

No, I wouldn't try to use that as a defense in court but sometimes, depending on what's beyond, black letters on clear glass are, IMHO, contrasting but easy to miss and incredibly difficult to read.

BTW - I saw a segment on the national news (NBC) tonight about Texas going open carry. They said that sign shops were working overtime to turn out the signs required to prohibit carry. What did they show on-screen? A gunbusters sign, of course.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    ^^ Agreed^^

Plus, if "contrasting" doesn't matter, than why was it put into the law?

If it is not readily visible then I think there is a chance that it could be honestly overlooked. I know I could easily have walked through the doors in the picture roadkill posted and not seen that sign, especially since it's a knee-level. Proving it was deliberately ignored is just as hard as proving it is contrasting; and I suspect in such a case the true determination of how things will play out is how the individual carrying responds when notified of the policy.

There is a clear case of allowing for the benefit of the doubt...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    There's a store near me with black letters on clear glass. However, the tile floor of the entryway is also black. When you approach the entrance, you actually see black letters on a black background. I only noticed the 30.06 sign when a sliding glass door with an ad attached to it went behind the sign. Then I could tell there was something on the glass. I actually had to go inside and look back out to confirm that it was a 30.06 sign.

No, I wouldn't try to use that as a defense in court but sometimes, depending on what's beyond, black letters on clear glass are, IMHO, contrasting but easy to miss and incredibly difficult to read.

BTW - I saw a segment on the national news (NBC) tonight about Texas going open carry. They said that sign shops were working overtime to turn out the signs required to prohibit carry. What did they show on-screen? A gunbusters sign, of course.
    The hospital where we had our kids has white letters on the glass with white floor tile behind it. I walked right past their 30.06 sign many times before I ever noticed it. Even from the inside the background was plain concrete.

I just don't see how it could be considered enforceable. There is no contrast at all.

Of course that was for concealed carry. OC may bring some of these situations to light.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Of course that was for concealed carry. OC may bring some of these situations to light.

That's an interesting point. Most 30.06 signs I've seen are invalid. CHL holders have been carrying past them unbeknownst to the business owners for years. The owners feel safe and the CHL holders remain legally armed. Now that some people may choose to OC past an invalid sign the business owner may notice this and decide to take action.

Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas
    My problem isn't the contrast, it's the damned moving text as the door opens and closes. How am I supposed to read that when it's constantly moving back and forth? Plus, when the door is in the 'open' position you can't read it at all because they have a big trashcan blocking the view.

Top Bottom