• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Interesting and a good lesson on casting alloys for bullets. Materials are different but process is virtually the same for the alloy. Katana stuff is largely ceremonial ( like Shintoism), Curved blade is largely like Turk scimitar, for slicing through enemy horse riders and leather armor.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Bookmarked for later. The Japanese technique is brilliant, developed out of necessity considering how iron-poor the Japanese islands are.
    Yeah the vid covers iron sand…pretty interesting.

I think our resident knifemaker(s) know most of it, but I learned some fascinating stuff

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The wife's cousin Martin moved to Seattle like 20 years ago. He hooked up with a Japanese guy who restores old Japanese swords. Marty became an apprentice sword polisher under this guys. He has acquired some pretty cool Katanas over the years.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Yeah the vid covers iron sand…pretty interesting.

I think our resident knifemaker(s) know most of it, but I learned some fascinating stuff

Always good to get more info, though. Smelting iron out of any unrefined source isn't something I ever want to attempt. But it's fascinating seeing the genius that went into early development of steel and forging techniques.

Top Bottom