• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crawdaddi0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2023
    Avinger, TX
    For East Texas we stick with food plots. We put out radish, turnip, beets, peas, red clover, white clover, alfalfa, seeds. We do not use the packaged or " magic grass" seed mixes from the hunting stores. We do have a few feeders that run plain corn from the feed store. These are the doe stands. The bucks do not come to the corn but the does and fawns clean them out. During the rut the big bucks will be trailing the does, and hang back in the trees.

We put flavored corn out a few times just to see. We saw no effect, food plots all work best.

We use soured corn in the hog traps. If we use plain corn we get fawns, and small does, they don't go after the sour mix.

About 7 years ago we had a drought that hit just after planting time, the food plots withered. We stalked/ground hunted around the oaks and got some of the best wall hangers ever.
    Exactly. Food plots are way less likely to make deer skittish, unlike a sudden abundance of a food/attractant source. However, growing a food plot isn’t as simple as discing and spreading. It’s a whole other forum topic for sure. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll drop a 20lb bag of Acorn Rage or similar product, but it’s gotta be a good source that’s already local to their environment as well. I made the mistake of using a Persimmon liquid and the deer jumped around it, like I might be hiding underneath, because there aren’t any persimmon trees near them. They got used to it eventually and started getting it, but the first few days were amusing and also frustrating.

Still, I’m of the logic that ‘if you hold does, you’ll get bucks’, BUT, like Rick said, those bucks will hang back using the doe as cannon fodder until/if he decides to follow. That’s where establishing several sights is helpful. Even if he doesn’t eat a single cornel of corn, he’ll follow her to the next sight. Your stand should have clear view of the close feed sight AND with good options for paths to the next sight.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom