Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One of the supply lines from the junction box to my electric meter has given up the ghost and the both of them will be replaced. Diagnosis is confirmed by both an electrician and a CenterPoint tech who checked for connection problems behind the meter and at the box.

I realize digging trenches is a PITA but the first bid I solicited will include $55/foot just for the trenching.

Is that ballpark-reasonable?
    Target Sports

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    One of the supply lines from the junction box to my electric meter has given up the ghost and the both of them will be replaced. Diagnosis is confirmed by both an electrician and a CenterPoint tech who checked for connection problems behind the meter and at the box.

I realize digging trenches is a PITA but the first bid I solicited will include $55/foot just for the trenching.

Is that ballpark-reasonable?
    how many feet do you need to do ? if its a lot rent a ditchwitch and do it yourself

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Should be on Centerpoint to replace the line on their side of the meter.
    Unless I'm understanding it wrong.
    I thought that, too. Both the licensed electrician who came out to diagnose and the CenterPoint tech told me the same thing, that CenterPoint runs the power to the junction box and isn't responsible after that. Four houses connect to each junction box; both men commented that I was lucky to have my junction box so close to the meter.

But now that I think about it, I need to consult with someone whose financial interests align with mine. I'll talk to my insurance agent. If this is CenterPoint's responsibility, he stands to save money for his employer.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    $55 per foot is absolutely unreasonable.
    I'd think $10 to $15 would be closer, just for trenching.
    That company came in with an estimate of $2630. That's $1650 for "installation" which is how they categorize the trenching and new wiring plus $980 for labor, which I assume is the electrician doing his thing.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'll just put it this way.
    If the line from the j-box to the meter is my responsibility, I can set my own j-box and tap off of it for un-metered (free) electricity.

I'd contact the PUC and get some clarification on who is responsible for what.

I really think you're being screwed over.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    That company came in with an estimate of $2630. That's $1650 for "installation" which is how they categorize the trenching and new wiring plus $980 for labor, which I assume is the electrician doing his thing.
    200 amps x $10/amp = $2000.00

Plus ditch work....??

For here? Be pretty close...

Course, every one claims the "cost of living" may be cheaper South of the M/D line??

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'll just put it this way.
    If the line from the j-box to the meter is my responsibility, I can set my own j-box and tap off of it for un-metered (free) electricity.

I'd contact the PUC and get some clarification on who is responsible for what.
    I've started that process.

Insurance agents deal with this stuff, right? My insurance agent agreed to review my policy and call me back with whatever she finds but, in her words, "Everything from the sidewalk to you is your responsibility." Also, "Even though the meter is on your side of the sidewalk" was the response when I asked about the general rule that everything upstream of the meter is thought of as not being the responsibility of the homeowner. Things could be covered if there's a special rider on my policy; I know there is no such rider but I'm going to let her review the policy and call me, anyway.

She also said that if the particular failure I'm having was something important to me, CenterPoint offers insurance for that in the form of a few dollars a month tacked onto your bill.

Come to think of it, the gas company has inundated me with letters for the last 2 years saying that if there's a failure in the gas line anywhere on my property, it's my responsibility. Then the letters try to sell me that insurance.

Still checking and still soliciting bids from other electricians. We shall see what we shall see.

ETA - Corrected some things above. Also -

I don't have the CenterPoint insurance. Interesting topic, though. They offer 16 different insurance plans for gas, water, and electric. The plans are broken out to cover inside, outside, and different types of damage. Sheesh, it's almost like they want to be an insurance company. If I got them all, the price would more than double this months electric bill (but only because it's typically the lowest of the year.)

So - Another avenue for relief melts away. Here's hoping I can get another electrician to bid lower.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never seen the power company hold a homeowner responsible for UG faults.

Only thing I can imagine is if it’s an off case where you rent and pay the property owner directly for electric. Property owner has a meter at the junction box and pats the power company the full bill and then collects money for the utilities from the individual renters based off their secondary meters.

Lived in a duplex like that when I was younger. And the only time I’ve seen it done that way. But then it would fall on the landlord.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Found a guy who can fix it tomorrow if I pony up $4900. Yeah, right.

CenterPoint will hook up an over-ground temp supply for an extra $476/month in addition to the metered electricity usage. However, they're being buttheads about scheduling removal; essentially they won't commit to a removal date except for a two-week window...making it impossible to schedule a time for the electrician to do their work.

I'm beginning to appreciate why some folks want to live off-grid. :)

I'll give you the aluminum
    I'd try to take you up on that if I knew more. None of the bids I've seen so far have broken that out as a line item.

Top Bottom