• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    BTW I saw on FB that Hutto PD is actively recruiting lateral transfers.
    EVERYONE is!

As of late Nov we were at 157 separations/retirements. That's a bit over 10%...

APD was authorized a strength of 1,959 in 2020, then the city cut 150 positions during defunding. APD is staffed at mid 1990 levels for a city that has doubled in size...

1,468, but needing 2,400 (per a city audit) and staffing is not expected to increase or even level off for years... the news doesnt cover 5% of the crazy things that happen in the city.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    I retired from Boston EMS 11 years go (today) at age 59. I was more or less on the leading edge of retirements for people who started in the mid to late 1970s. Since then I've done consulting mostly with fire departments. I see what I call a "generational change" as people in their late 50s and 60s are retiring en mass. That was before COVID which accelerated retirements. If I were still working in 2020, I'd have retired the second I could have.

I'm not familiar at all with hiring in TX, but in MA where I lived and worked most of my life, public safety jobs and public jobs in general a begging for applicants. The post office is advertising positions. The post office. Not to mention many police departments and other government jobs that people used to practically kill each other to get.

As you note, this deficit of police officers is going to take years to fix, if it ever does.

I listen to APD on the scanner and the officers left seem to be barely able to handle the call volume.

EVERYONE is!

As of late Nov we were at 157 separations/retirements. That's a bit over 10%...

APD was authorized a strength of 1,959 in 2020, then the city cut 150 positions during defunding. APD is staffed at mid 1990 levels for a city that has doubled in size...

1,468, but needing 2,400 (per a city audit) and staffing is not expected to increase or even level off for years... the news doesnt cover 5% of the crazy things that happen in the city.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Top Bottom