• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrgurkins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Floresville
    Hey all I am new to the boards and have a question.
    I have a old Coast to Coast 12ga Mag. pump 30 in barrel It is a great dove gun. About 5 years ago I was dove hunting when I shot at a dove and the barrel split and mushroomed at the end and about 4in down the barrel. This barrel has a full choke. Now the question.
    I was thinking of turning this gun into a home defense gun and cutting it down to about 20in. Whould that be safe and if so what would the best way to go about it be.
    If my research and checks are correct this shotgun was made by Mossburg.
    Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Military Camp

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would use a sawsall or hack saw and dress it up with a file or a disk sander.
    It just needs to be cut square and true and if you have a table top sander you can rotate the barrel as the sander cuts the face.
    It's very easy to do. To get a precise measurement close the bolt and insert a dowel rod into the barrel to measure barrel length. Mark your full length. Remove the dowel and mark on it where you want to cut. It must be greater than 18". Tape your barrel to prevent tool marring and transfer your measurement to the barrel. Cut slowly, you can replace the bead with a fiberoptic sight.

jrgurkins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Floresville
    Thanks For the reply. I have also been doing some checking and have started playing around with buying an 18.5in or 22in barrel and tricking this out for 3gun tactical shoots. Looks like it could be alot of fun just doing the work on the gun and not alot of investment in the base shotgun.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I personally wouldn't cut it down, let alone use it anymore. But, if you are, I would go with a pipe cutter and masking the area so the guides don't mess with the uncut finish area.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I personally wouldn't cut it down, let alone use it anymore. But, if you are, I would go with a pipe cutter and masking the area so the guides don't mess with the uncut finish area.

I've done this a couple of times for friends with "grandpa's rusty ol' duck gun" before I had a lathe. I didn't mask them, but luckily didn't end up with tool marks.

I would always suggest a new barrel, but, you can't beat repurposing one that you thought was trash.

If you go the pipecutter route, go slow, don't use any more pressure than you have to (or you'll end up with a full choke again) and clean it up with some emery cloth and cold blue the bare metal when you get done. If you end up with a large burr, you can camfer it with a file or if you are carefull, a pipe camfer. Always round any edges with emery cloth.

It's not an ideal barrel as it's cylinder bore, but it'll flatten an intruder across the bedroom. You won't be three gunin' with this one though unless you have a gunsmith cut it and thread it for chokes, but then your back at the price for a new barrel.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    I would be seriously concerned about metal fatiuge. It split in the first place for a reason. Is the cost of a $400 shotgun worth risk of serious injury?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    If you really want to get chokes for it, check out your local gunsmith to see what he would charge to install chokes on the busted barrel after he cuts it to length.

If there is not a smith close by, call places like Briley, Magna-Port or Ed Vanden Berg. I think I paid less than $100 last time I had an unchoked barrel threaded. You might have to pay slightly more to get a bead put back on and to true the end at whatever length you want it cut to.

jrgurkins

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Floresville
    Ok I've decided Not to cut the barrel down. Now I think Im going to use it as a project gun. I think I might turn it into a tactical shotgun. Any advice on that?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Ok I've decided Not to cut the barrel down. Now I think Im going to use it as a project gun. I think I might turn it into a tactical shotgun. Any advice on that?

I'm pretty sure Coast to Coast is a Mossberg copy, right? If it's compatable with Mossberg 500 parts, you should be able to modify it pretty easily and it would be a neat project that you'll enjoy. Cost effectevness isn't a big deal for projects like this as far as I'm concerned, it's about having fun and learning, so don't let someone talk you out of it because "it isn't worth it".

For a barrel, I would suggest 20-22" with screw in chokes. If I was building it for 3 gun, I'd go with a ribbed barrel and bead sight if I could find one. Synthetic straight stock and a factory style synthetic forearm or a "corncob" style if you're running a shell holder on the receiver.

If it's a "tactical" shotgun, I'd go with a plain barrel and bead sight, this will also be easier to find. Synthetic pistol gripped buttstock and a factory style synthetic forearm or a "corncob" style if you're running a shell holder on the receiver.

That's how I roll, your tastes may differ.

Top Bottom