Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What does the hive mind of TGT think of these pistols?

From the research I've done, it looks like a number of surplus pistols came to the U.S. ~2007 and for several years sold for ~$200. They seemed to be relatively well-liked by their owners. However, the big surplus sellers seem to have been out of them for a while and I see gunbroker final sale prices are now $350-$500. That seems like quite a price escalation over the last couple of years.

Well, Slovakia has decided to sell off their entire inventory and replace them with Glock M17s and various CZ pistols. That means another 40,000 or so of them will hit the surplus market next year. I assume some or most will wind up in this country, again resulting in relatively lower prices till they're all sold out again.

So if a bunch get imported and the prices drop back to $200 or so, would it be worthwhile to grab one?
    Hurley's Gold

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    With some nice grips and a coat of paint they slick up nice.

When I first got one the recoil was the worse of any gun I'd handled. The spring was old and weak and the recoil "rang" the gun\my hand like a bad hit with an aluminum bat. $20 spring kit from wolf solved that issue.

I generally like the gun. Basic breakdown for cleaning is not bad at all but the detailed disassembly reassembly is a nightmare.

What really hurts them is defense ammo and holster availability.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If I see them in the $200 range, I'd be very tempted to pick one (or two) up.

I just wonder about the availability of 9x18 ammo, it's already running about 30¢ a round...

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have 2 and the prices DID go up as the supply dried up.
    The last one I bought was about $300, the first was in the upper $200 range with shipping.
    I carry one when I don't care if I 'print' (ie when going to a neighbors house or local in my small local town)

I like the 12+1 but I carry a Polish P64 when I go 'out-and-about' just 'cause it's small and reliable.

The 9X18 is fine with me in Buffalo Bore and Hornady Critical Defense. I think the 9X19 in a tiny frame would be more than I would tolerate as I get older. I like 9X19 in my Browning Hi-Power, Star B, Walther P38, Helwan etc.

The vz82 wide 'double-stack' grip is comfortable even with +P ammo.

I've even seen them listed with 'shot-out' barrels, No rifling left?????????????

I use jacketed in the poly barrels.

bob

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Settles it! I'm getting one! Thanks!

If they are imported again here in the US I WILL be buying MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My last one had to come from ARMSLIST from a private seller. It had severe 'holster-wear' but that is the one I like to carry.

The other one is in pristine condition. Collectible and in the original style holster, cleaning rod etc.............

I usually try to get several examples of what I like to collect. One to shoot and one for the gun safe??????? That way I can also trade for something else when the market bears trading for ???????????????????????

Buy what you like and you won't regret it if the market drops for a while. You still get to enjoy it until the market agrees with you.

bob

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I have one and love it. Great ergonomics and fun to shoot. If they become available again in the $200-ish range I'm buying another, maybe two.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    I had three and they're great little pistols. I gave one to my brother after taking him to the range and taking a liking to it.
    Ammo is not hard to find (yet) but like other's have said not too cheap, but it is my favorite of my pistol's that shoot the Makarov round.
    My only complaint is it is very hard to find the original magazine's (Crossed Sword's) and when you do they run from $30 -$45 dollar's I've had problems with others even the ones marked "CZ" on bottom base plate.

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    I purchased 2 and 1400 rounds of ammo for $600 about a year ago, and I enjoy shooting them. It is a pain to get it back together with the sear spring, so don't break it down too far.

Top Bottom