• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ushelcorp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    TX
    About a year ago I completed a 10 year deferred adjudification probation. From what I understand I have no felony conviction as of completion of the probation. Can I legally own a firearm?
    Lynx Defense

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    It's a legit question & this is a forum. Yes, in my legal opinion you can legally own a firearm. Course my legal opinion carries very little weight.

txgho1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Legislature needs to make corrections to statute so DPS and every other state and civil authority is barred from treating the deferred adjudication probates as convicted as they do now. Not just CHL. Professional licenses for many different occupations.
    Beyond that most lawyers selling clients the idea of this first offender intervention do not inform of the other ramifications. Show up in commercial background checks as convicted. Listed forever as some of these are offshore.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Yes you can own one. As i've posted in a few other threads, I had a 2nd Degree Felony from when I was an 18 year old kid. It was my only one, and it was deferred adjudication. It was my only mistake, I learned from it and never had another problem. This was 12 years ago. A month ago, I went into Academy and bought a Barretta Px4 Storm, with no wait and no hold. Walked out the same day after the background check came back =)

I am, however, banned for life from a CHL

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I am a probation officer - we have stuff that contradicts itself and says things both ways - that probationers CAN have the right to bear arms back after they are finished with a deferred felony. However, we have contacted the ATF directly (in the past) and asked - and they told us that: No, a person still doesn't have that right back after a deferred adjudication.

So hell, I'm a probation officer, and even I can't say for certain. Once they are off probation, though - they are gone. I advise people to check with the ATF themselves, as I have been told two different stories, and that I do not know the definitive answer,

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes you can own one. As i've posted in a few other threads, I had a 2nd Degree Felony from when I was an 18 year old kid. It was my only one, and it was deferred adjudication. It was my only mistake, I learned from it and never had another problem. This was 12 years ago. A month ago, I went into Academy and bought a Barretta Px4 Storm, with no wait and no hold. Walked out the same day after the background check came back =)

I am, however, banned for life from a CHL

What was the offense? Most felonies that were deferred are now eligible after 10 years.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am a probation officer - we have stuff that contradicts itself and says things both ways - that probationers CAN have the right to bear arms back after they are finished with a deferred felony. However, we have contacted the ATF directly (in the past) and asked - and they told us that: No, a person still doesn't have that right back after a deferred adjudication.

So hell, I'm a probation officer, and even I can't say for certain. Once they are off probation, though - they are gone. I advise people to check with the ATF themselves, as I have been told two different stories, and that I do not know the definitive answer,

The post immediately before yours emphasizes the fact that deferreds are NOT convictions for federal purposes.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    The post immediately before yours emphasizes the fact that deferreds are NOT convictions for federal purposes.

They are not for federal purposes, but there are specific laws outlined that included deferred in instances such as CHL's. A deferred alone, after the right amount of time will not stop you. If people get denied or holds, its probably other things or a combination of other things with the deferred.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    They are not for federal purposes, but there are specific laws outlined that included deferred in instances such as CHL's. A deferred alone, after the right amount of time will not stop you. If people get denied or holds, its probably other things or a combination of other things with the deferred.

:banghead:

Not even gonna bother...........................

Top Bottom