• ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Hey guys,

Wondering what you recommend for desiccant packet sizes (grams) to put into ammo cans with ammo? Some cans will have loose rounds, others will still be in boxes.

I also came across this on Amazon. Amazon.com: Stack-On SPAD-100 Wireless Rechargeable Dehumidifier for Stack-On Long-Gun Safes: Home Improvement - My safe is not currently in a place with high humidity as it stands, but better safe than sorry I say, and who knows if I'll always have it in a place like that in the future. Was curious what y'all recommend.

Josh
    Hurley's Gold

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    IMHO another option is the anti rust vapor capsules. I've used them in a small ice chest I stored loose ammo in. Plain lead bullets stay bright. The brass stays shiny. The chest was stored in a less then bone dry area. Taken to the field too.

As for desiccants, I've used the 1" size packets found in china made camera cases at best buy. I roasted them in the oven on 200 for about 45mins. Then threw them in some small pelican cases I store 22lr in. I guess they work.

Mr. Bojangles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Humble
    I just save any of those small packets that come in packages and toss them in my ammo cans. There's not much room when I pack them good so I don't think you need much.

tnguyengp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Dallas, Tx
    Proper protection from moisture is important. To that end, combining our moisture barrier bags with a desiccant is one of the most efficient ways to protect your goods. No matter how effective a moisture barrier bag may be, there is always a possibility that a minute amount of moisture may seep in. The use of desiccants is a smart preventive measure for added protection.

Considering the sensitivity of their equipment, it's no surprise that the United States military places an emphasis on proper protection and packaging. To eliminate the risks of corrosion, specific moisture barrier bags are extremely effective as are military grade desiccants. Moisture barrier bag is exactly what it name implies: a sealed bag made of a material that keeps moisture out. More information on desiccants can be found at Desiccants | MIL-D-3464 | Montmorillonite Clay

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Desiccant is not necessary if you store your guns/ammo/gear in a conditioned space (in an air tight container) where the temperature and humidity do not vary more than a few degrees.

If moisture cannot condense on your goods, you are good to go.

Now, if you live in a tropical environment, without air conditioned space and with wild temperature swings, your stuff will go bad in a matter of months.

The best way to store ammo long-term is in good condition air-tight G.I. ammo cans in stable temperatures under 85 degrees.

A lot of 5.56 & 7.62 NATO ammo got sold off as surplus after the first Gulf War. It sat in sealed containers in low humidity, but high day-time and low night-time temperatures. After months in the desert, it had to be condemned.

Temperature will kill your ammo quicker than humidity. A properly loaded round is by design moisture proof (projectile, powder & primer). Moisture will cause corrosion of the cartridge case far quicker than it will kill the powder charge.

I ruined several hundred rounds of factory .45 Auto when I lived in Oklahoma. I stored the ammo in my garage for more than two years before I shot it. The temperatures in the unconditioned space soared to about 106 degrees in the summer, and plummeted to twenty degrees in the winter. Humidity was not a factor, since none of the rounds showed any sign of corrosion.

The temperature swings caused such a degradation of the powder that the ammo would not even cycle the slide of a 1911, and the bullet only traveled about 15 feet.

Nowadays, I store all my ammo, powder, and primers in an air conditioned space.

If you keep it high & dry, but subject to extreme temperatures: Pffft!

Top Bottom