• ...and so much more!
  • Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Shot-spotter works extremely well at triangulating gunfire. It was developed to help protect our troops after they took some urban areas.

Police response time is the issue- they need to get there quick. I'm sure there will be drones dispatched in the future to get video.

HtownARAK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Houston
    I've read an article about this product and I guess results are hit or miss. As Lead Belly mentions response time is almost non-existent and useless without a quick response time. This data from the Detroit Gov website gives a breakdown on what results they have received. https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitmi.localhost/files/2022-09/COD-ShotSpotter-Sept22-Draft-V4.pdf.
    The Results though are questionable because when you compare it to the Detroit Police Statistics specifically for Aggravated Assaults, it shows most Precinct have seen declining Assaults. That can be found here: https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitmi.localhost/files/events/2022-09/220905%20DPD%20Daily%20Stats.pdf. The technology seems interesting, but most of this tech seems like bullshit to combat crime.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    They could even incorporate all the existing microphones that are out there- in our cellphones.

Say 10 phones in an area pick up the disitnct loud sound, triangulate it, and the phones grab IMEI from the few phones at ground zero to run through the database.

HtownARAK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Houston
    They could even incorporate all the existing microphones that are out there- in our cellphones.

Say 10 phones in an area pick up the disitnct loud sound, triangulate it, and the phones grab IMEI from the few phones at ground zero to run through the database.
    Yeah, you're right and they can and have done it before. Stingrays can be used for phone tracking and hell maybe the tech could be added on to the sound triangulation and bam what you described can be the new reality.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US

The last thing we need is MORE intrusion into our lives.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    The last thing we need is MORE intrusion into our lives.
    I agree 100%, but they have an agenda- to use tech to control the masses.

The devices you pay for work against you- like that little black box in your car that records telemetrics: hard braking, acceleration, turn signals...and uploads the data (OnStar, etc) to the insurance companies to determine rates.

Your phone has mandatory chips that the manufacturers don't have control over, just told to include them. Not my plan; don't shoot messenger.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I agree 100%, but they have an agenda- to use tech to control the masses.

The devices you pay for work against you- like that little black box in your car that records telemetrics: hard braking, acceleration, turn signals...and uploads the data (OnStar, etc) to the insurance companies to determine rates.

Your phone has mandatory chips that the manufacturers don't have control over, just told to include them. Not my plan; don't shoot messenger.
    You’re right, I just don’t want to expand that. Besides, this tech doesn’t really do anything to decrease crime/increase convictions.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    Chicago’s system is simply ignored…

it proves the shootings are exactly where you think the shootings are... and no one likes that answer

Top Bottom