• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Where should I be headed within an hour's drive of Oak Cliff to try and catch something that's not a catfish?
    Hurley's Gold

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    You've got Mountain Creek Lake and Joe Pool almost in your back yard. Fish the shore at Cedar Hill State Park and you don't even need a fishing license. I know Joe Pool has good bass in it, plus IIRC stripers and hybrids (white / striper mix), crappies, sunfish (perch) and of course catfish.

Winter is honestly quickly becoming my favorite season to fish for bass, because its the time of year I get more big fish than any other. We're 3 weeks exactly into 2024, and already I've caught over half a dozen fish over 4lbs.

The keys for winter bass fishing are going to the extremes, and not fishing like you would the other 9 months out of the year. They either want very SLOW or very FAST presentations. And I either go very BIG or very SMALL for presentations. I'm not throwing "average" baits in the winter. I'm either going sub 3 inches, or at least 5 inches for a swimbait bait or 10 inches for a worm - be it soft plastics or hard baits.

Went fishing today for a couple hours, despite it being 40ish degrees, and caught four fish, all of which came on a micro sized soft swimbait slow crawled on the bottom. I missed three others, one of which because my hook bent straight when the fish took off on me.

On the big end of things I'm throwing mostly 7+ inch glide baits, or 5+ inch soft swimbaits. These require beefier stuff - if you have a catfish rod, that's what you'd want to throw such a big bait on because a typical bass stick doesn't handle that kind of weight well.

Some examples of stuff I'm throwing this time of year:

Small

20190417_160448.jpg
    20190417_160459.jpg

And big

IMG_4315.jpeg
    swimbaits (12).jpg

The smaller end of those glide baits is 5 inches, most are 7, one is an 8 incher. I'll be getting some 9 inch baits in soon.

That soft plastic bait in the lower picture is 10 inches, I've got 3 of these trout, plus a 10 inch shad profile bait. They can be rigged with the hooks on the top or bottom, they're "line thru" baits, which means when you hook a fish, the hook pops out and the lure slides up and down your line freely while you play the fish. Makes it harder for the fish to use the weight of the lure to throw the hook.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I usually try small ponds around parks and schools. Usually lots of brim/gill, some cats too. Might run across a bass or 2. Google earth is a friend.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Where should I be headed within an hour's drive of Oak Cliff to try and catch something that's not a catfish?

It’s a little more than hour, but striper fishing on Lake Whitney is a blast. Guy named Clay. $400 for 3 people last I went.

He provides gear and then filets and bags them for the trip home. Take a small cooler for drinks and a cooler for the fish afterwards.

Last edited:

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Top Bottom