• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Two years ago my VA doctor advised that I was borderline diabetic and put me on a diet and low dose of Metformin. I’m 74. She said we would revisit my blood lab in 6 months and it was then back in the normal range. She kept me on the Metformin for another 6 months but I finally quit taking it after my glucose levels lowered and stayed down. The doctor was going to start me with the finger pricks if I couldn’t get it to level off at what she considered normal. I was adamant about lowering my glucose by changing my eating habits and exercising. I hate needles. I now minimize any carbs, totally cut out sweets, bread, pastry, soft drinks, etc. and started riding my bicycle for a daily thirty minute ride (timed). I also now drink only water and lots of it. My recent blood labs show all is normal. I’m not saying that diet changes and exercise works for everyone, but it did for me.
    You were faced with a decision and an obstacle. You chose long term health and fitness over temporary pleasure that some food can bring.
    Good for you and your whole family
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    While you may have some type 2 diabetes in your family history the genetics play a much smaller roll than diet and lifestyle choices.

Genetics can load the gun, but poor choices and lifestyle pull the trigger.

High insulin levels from eating ultra processed foods and drinks tax the T-cell response of your pancreas and create insulin resistance which your body responds to with making even more insulin
    The body will do whatever it can to return blood glucose levels to normal and eating junk foods and drinking sodas continually all day keep the glucose levels elevated

View attachment 372448
    There was 30 grams of sugar in those pop tarts you ate for breakfast..
    Not a good choice for a person who is pre-diabetic and just suffered a stroke
    In fact there isn't much worse than that , except for maybe a donut

That's the maximum daily recommended amount of sugar for the entire day Axxe and you had that for breakfast!
    What are you thinking dude?

I remember talking on the phone with you about your diet and changes you need to make when you 1st called me about your pre-diabetess several months ago.

At some point you've got to take responsibility for your actions brother.

Type 2 diabetes is almost always preventable and curable with diet and lifestyle changes.

Yep. I have a close friend who changed his diet drastically after almost dying. He’s lost over 40 lbs as a 5’9” guy, and has gone from injections to a pill. Doc says he may be able to get off those, but still some dietary work to do. But an amazing transformation.

My borderline numbers dropped after I quit drinking sodas. That’s all it took for me. Most of my diet was pretty good. Lunch meat was one of the few processed foods I ate. My late wife was a health nut and controlled our diets. It kind of just became a habit for me. I drink 3-4 quarts of water a day now.

In ‘21 I hit my lowest weight of 234, down from 280.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    depending on your insurance/medicare I would ask about the anytime meters you dont have to deal with your Prick but you do have to have a small plastic device stuck on your belly and it sends your glucose reading to your phone anytime
    My wife has hers on her arm just below the shoulder. She altrenates arms when it needs changed.

I call it her Borg implant.

Joking aside. the thing has probably saved her life a couple of times.

Top Bottom