• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Here's a little "rainy day" project for those of you needing a target stand. If you wish you can glue it all together or glue just the bottom "tees" & top "tees", leaving the x-piece loose making it easier to transport. Drill holes on each end of the base pieces to drive spikes into ground or use a sand bag if wind is a problem. The upright "sticks" are 1"x2"x72" will slide down into the upright "tees". If you want a little more rigid mount, simply cut a section of foam pvc pipe insulation and wrap around the stick before inserting into the upright tee. As you can see, this is quick, easy and cheap to make and can be "re-designed" at your discretion.........

BILL OF MATERIALS:

2 - 2" X 72" SCH 40 PVC PIPE
    4 - 2" X 2" X 2" PVC TEE
    2 - 1" X 2" X 72" PINE STICKS
    1 - PVC CLEANER & GLUE (OPTIONAL)

DIMENSIONS/CUTS & ASSEMBLY:
    Make four (4) pieces of 2" x 18" (base), make two (2) pieces of 2" x 12" (uprights) and cut the spreader piece to the desired length for the width to suit you, i.e. 22" for a 24" width (typical backboard for paper target). As with any DIY project........"measure twice......cut once".

Total cost for this project...mehhh, around $25 / $30
    TF01_zps067e7bd0.gif

TF02_zps044d7b11.gif

TF04_zps7922c41e.gif

photo24_zps7f1f87cd.gif

The backing board (cardboard) can be purchase at most any office/school supply or you can simply "salvage" an old cardboard box. Check with the various home centers (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc..) for old refridgerator, washer/dryer boxes, etc. and cut them to what ever dimension you want.
    I used large binder clips to attach the back board to the sticks......also, zip ties work very well.
    Lynx Defense

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    sorry, anytime I click on a thread about how to build a target stand and I see "PVC" I tune out.:popcorn:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Like it, cost effective, easily stored and simple.

Four J shaped ground ties, bent out of welding rods or stiff wire, would keep it from blowing over in a breeze.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    You gonna share that popcorn...?? :shades:

Absolutely will

I'm Glad they work for you

I just figure they wouldn't last long with the sun and a stray bullet here and there
    I tried using metal conduit once and went back to 3/4 sucker
    rod

KiloKilo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2013
    Absolutely will

I'm Glad they work for you

I just figure they wouldn't last long with the sun and a stray bullet here and there
    I tried using metal conduit once and went back to 3/4 sucker
    rod

I agree with you 100% vmax....this is an alternative method for those who may not have access to "sucker rod" and/or the equipment needed to fabricate steel target bases/stands.

The "PVC" is relatively inexpensive, readily available and easy to work with. No special tools. Just a hack saw, tape measure and a pencil.....takes about 45 mins......unless your drinking beer.....then maybe a couple of hours....HAH !

For the weekend shooter, it can be easily transported...unless you're driving a Yugo or Smart Car, then you will have to be a little more "creative"......hmmmm.

Like I said, this is an alternative method and if it's not a viable option for anyone, then simply skip it...........regardless, have fun, shoot safe and shoot often !
    KK

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Vmax don't like it cause he tends to hit the stands more than the paper.

:roflsmile:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Some people joke, some don't.

It can be pretty entertaining either way :p

Top Bottom