Texas SOT

Do not joke about your chili ingredients...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Back in 2001 I was working at Takata here in S.A., and they decided to have a chili cook-off for the employees.
    Having made quite a bit of chili over the years (it's like a monthly thing around this house), I decided to enter.
    Whipped up some of this:
    Chili.jpg

Then thought I would jack with people, and put a note on the pot with a cat head, and "I love cat!"
    Just about no one tried my chili, and a guy who put green beans, and pasta in his won. :facepalm:

14 years latter, at another plant, and another chili cook-off, I made the exact same chili, and won!
    Made a batch in a 24 quart pot, and at the end of the day, mine was gone, and second place had half of his left over.

Some times you are just better off keeping jokes to yourself...
    Guns International

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Back in 2001 I was working at Takata here in S.A., and they decided to have a chili cook-off for the employees.
    Having made quite a bit of chili over the years (it's like a monthly thing around this house), I decided to enter.
    Whipped up some of this:
    Chili.jpg

Then thought I would jack with people, and put a note on the pot with a cat head, and "I love cat!"
    Just about no one tried my chili, and a guy who put green beans, and pasta in his won. :facepalm:

14 years latter, at another plant, and another chili cook-off, I made the exact same chili, and won!
    Made a batch in a 24 quart pot, and at the end of the day, mine was gone, and second place had half of his left over.

<>
    <>

’’PERCEPTION’’ is everything.

Several years back, while teaching at UTMB, I brought a plate of ‘’Hogshead Cheese’’ from the famous ‘’Best Stop’’ charcuterie at Ossun, LA, near Lafayette & put it on a platter with various crackers, on a table in the young Docs’ break room.

These young folks were from all over the World: India, VietNam, Ohio, Texas, Mexico, etc. Not a single one even took a taste.

A couple months later, I did the exact same thing again, but this time labeled it ‘’Chef Robert’s Pork Pate, from Lafayette’’. They ate it all, and swept the plate dry with crackers.

’’It’s all in a name!’’

leVieux

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    It looks like you forgot to grind up some of your ingredients..I see big chunks of red and green things in the sauce

That's not Texas Chili..may pass elsewhere but not on my watch..lol

That's just the remnants of the cat collar that didn't make it through the blender very well.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Is anyone willing to share their chili recipes here?
    WhileI was working as a meat cutter people always ask how to cook various things.Some asked one meat wrapper I worked with & she referred then to me. 80% of them said to much shit write it down for me. If you aint willing to listen & take notes why should I bother.

When we are at the next shoot remember to ask & be ready to write it down.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    making chiliis one of most fun recipes to make and yes i like chiliwith or without beans! best chili i ever made was withsmoked brisket and deer sausage!
    I've tried different things, venison of course, pork was pretty good, but I used a LOT of pork rub on it, turkey kind of sucked,
    but the absolute worst, was when I was visiting family up north, and some of the idiots wanted me to use vegi beef.
    That shit was a huge waste of chili powder, absolutely
    anim_puke.gif

@vmax
    Chunks of red & green peppers, and tomatoes. At Christmas I also use yellow peppers.

@thescoutranch

Gordo’s Good Chili:
    1/3 cup vegetable oil (lean beef) or 1/4 cup (regular beef)
    1 lb of beef (cubed, coarse ground, or regular ground) Venison works well to.
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup of beef broth 3-4 table spoons chili powder (heaped, not wimpy level table spoons, remember, you are making CHILI )
    1 heaping teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon Oregano
    0 to 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (temp adjustment - be careful !! )
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, chopped (or just use 2 green bell peppers)
    3 - 14oz cans of stewed tomatoes
    1 - 3oz can of tomato paste
    Salt to taste ( this is an important 'taste as you go' step. It needs to be salty enough to make you salivate when it first hits your mouth. You need to have your taste buds say "SALT", right before you destroy them with the cayenne & chili !

Brown beef in oil. When the beef is browned, add onion, garlic, and black pepper, Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Add bell peppers, and sauté for about a minute.
    Add beef broth, and simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Add everything else, except salt.
    Cover and simmer at low heat for 45 minutes.
    Salt to taste, and simmer for another 15 minutes
    Serve with fresh tortillas or corn bread.
    Serve over sunny side up eggs with corn bread
    Don't serve it with cheap silverware, it is embarrassing to have the spoon dissolve in front of guests!

And just remember the definition of chili: If the cook calls it Chili, it's Chili.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I've tried different things, venison of course, pork was pretty good, but I used a LOT of pork rub on it, turkey kind of sucked,
    but the absolute worst, was when I was visiting family up north, and some of the idiots wanted me to use vegi beef.
    That shit was a huge waste of chili powder, absolutely
    anim_puke.gif

@vmax
    Chunks of red & green peppers, and tomatoes. At Christmas I also use yellow peppers.

@thescoutranch

Gordo’s Good Chili:
    1/3 cup vegetable oil (lean beef) or 1/4 cup (regular beef)
    1 lb of beef (cubed, coarse ground, or regular ground) Venison works well to.
    1 medium yellow onion, diced
    1 clove fresh garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup of beef broth 3-4 table spoons chili powder (heaped, not wimpy level table spoons, remember, you are making CHILI )
    1 heaping teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon Oregano
    0 to 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (temp adjustment - be careful !! )
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped 1 large yellow or red bell pepper, chopped (or just use 2 green bell peppers)
    3 - 14oz cans of stewed tomatoes
    1 - 3oz can of tomato paste
    Salt to taste ( this is an important 'taste as you go' step. It needs to be salty enough to make you salivate when it first hits your mouth. You need to have your taste buds say "SALT", right before you destroy them with the cayenne & chili !

Brown beef in oil. When the beef is browned, add onion, garlic, and black pepper, Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
    Add bell peppers, and sauté for about a minute.
    Add beef broth, and simmer for about 2-3 minutes. Add everything else, except salt.
    Cover and simmer at low heat for 45 minutes.
    Salt to taste, and simmer for another 15 minutes
    Serve with fresh tortillas or corn bread.
    Serve over sunny side up eggs with corn bread
    Don't serve it with cheap silverware, it is embarrassing to have the spoon dissolve in front of guests!

And just remember the definition of chili: If the cook calls it Chili, it's Chili.
    i use brown sugar and molasses to temper the heat of the hot peppers in my chili i also cook my onions and peppers in the fat rendered from the meats after cooking them because of the fat and seasonings used to cook the meats that stuff is flavor!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My chili, or chili with beans, or not hot dog topping, recipes are posted several places.

The more meats the better. Lots of spicy veggies and all the fat from everything goes into the chili pot.

I like to add thinly sliced sausage links, instead of cubed meats, to my chili along with ground beef, ground sausage, sweet sausage and even ittalian sausage.

As always season to taste but first make sure the Jalapeños are in there along with the garlic and Lots of red onion. Then add the chili seasonings and finally chili powder and let cook for a few hours.

You need Lots of corn bread of some variety and a fork. Won't be no need for any spoons.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Whipped up some of this:
    Chili.jpg

Where are you getting your cats?

Oh, it was a joke!

Top Bottom