• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    The Santa Cruz and the Ford Maverick look like the perfect truck for someone that doesn't need a truck. I my line of work, I have driven several Mavericks, both gas and hybrid. I haven't driven a Santa Cruz yet. From what I read, the lower trim levels have a non turbo engine and reports say it is weak. But, the Santa Cruz has the Maverick beat on comfort/safety features.

Nearly all of my driving is here in the flatlands. If I want to go on down the road in the left lane or take a trip to the mountains, will I be under powered? I plan on driving a Santa Cruz soon but I'd like to hear from an owner.
    Target Sports

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Everytime I see a Santa Cruz I wonder who buy one of those. They are ugly and the named after a Cali shithole. Then I look at the purple haired drivers with a loads of piercings and it all makes since. I hear they come with a box hair dye and pride flag in the glove box.

ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX
    My son had one. It drives better than my Ridgeline, and is faster, and handles better. But..., it was in the shop for over a month with transmission issues (recall now) and while in the shop, rats/mice ate some of the insulation on wires, and had to be fixed. Hyundai denied it happened on their watch. Plenty fast and great gas mileage, but be warned, it may have issues (he sold his after one year).

Supposedly the transmission issues are fixed, and if they come out with a hybrid, I may just switch (I loved the way it handled), but the Ridgeline is the better size IMO, but it is not perfect either.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Everytime I see a Santa Cruz I wonder who buy one of those. They are ugly and the named after a Cali shithole. Then I look at the purple haired drivers with a loads of piercings and it all makes since. I hear they come with a box hair dye and pride flag in the glove box.
    Your reply was very informative, it tells a lot about you.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Do your due diligence. Theres a lot of hyundai and kia that are total pos

Agreed and I am a Hyundai owner several times. In the past, I've had nothing but great things to say to them, but the last year I bought was a 2017 and it doesn't seem to hold up like other's earlier models I've owned.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dad had a Maverick when I was learning to drive.
    First automatic sedan he ever owned.

You do know Ford recycled the Maverick name into a four-door, compact pickup truck starting in late 2021, right?

1713795423166.png

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Dad had a Maverick when I was learning to drive.
    First automatic sedan he ever owned.
    I blew an engine and borrowed my grandma's Maverick back in the early 1980's to commute to college for awhile.It had some metallic vibration when accelerating, drank gas like a v8 and had that old famous Ford floating front-end. What a POS. I couldn't believe Ford would bring back that name when they came out with the new Maverick. I cringe every time I hear the name.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I blew an engine and borrowed my grandma's Maverick back in the early 1980's to commute to college for awhile.It had some metallic vibration when accelerating, drank gas like a v8 and had that old famous Ford floating front-end. What a POS. I couldn't believe Ford would bring back that name when they came out with the new Maverick. I cringe every time I hear the name.
    Yeah, it's poor form to reuse a name.
    What's next, the Toyota Prius SUV?

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Agreed and I am a Hyundai owner several times. In the past, I've had nothing but great things to say to them, but the last year I bought was a 2017 and it doesn't seem to hold up like other's earlier models I've owned.
    Some of them, iirc built in the alabama plant, they didnt bother to clean out the metal shavings. Which clogged up the oil passageways. You know what happens next

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Ford calls an electric suv a Mustang, while also calling a coupe a Mustang, so .... yea, probably
    Wife was in the car with me yesterday and she said "that's not a Mustang" when one of the EV Mustangs passed us. Egg shaped hatchback they might as well called a Taurus. But she saw her first Cybertruck too and asked WTH was that? It had the $6500 factory satin black wrap. We also got behind a Lucid Air which appears to have some impressive interior width.

ULEWZ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2023
    Georgetown TX
    My son had one. It drives better than my Ridgeline, and is faster, and handles better. But..., it was in the shop for over a month with transmission issues (recall now) and while in the shop, rats/mice ate some of the insulation on wires, and had to be fixed. Hyundai denied it happened on their watch. Plenty fast and great gas mileage, but be warned, it may have issues (he sold his after one year).

Supposedly the transmission issues are fixed, and if they come out with a hybrid, I may just switch (I loved the way it handled), but the Ridgeline is the better size IMO, but it is not perfect either.
    I forgot to mention, he lemon lawed it, he did not sell it. Linky

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    When I started looking for a small truck, I looked twice at the Santa Cruz. The first one had some paint problems, so I waited a year and looked again. A couple of them has problems with interior trim. I love the looks and size, and they have some features that I wish other small trucks had. But the biggest problem is it's still a Hyundai, no matter how much I like it. My wife has had 2 Hyundais that were great for a couple of years and then went bad. I couldn't see buying something I expect to have problems, especially with the transmission, which is the big one. So I got a Honda Ridgeline instead and am happy as a tick on a fat hound dog.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    The Theta motor has always had problems. Turbo works OK but had the brakes go out 3x in hers. Took 4 trips (one towed) to shop to get it fixed. No vacuum to booster but they replaced everything else first (Santa FE) at my expense! Made in Al. Short wheel base, turbo 4 wasn't very economical and uncomfortable for long trips even on I45. Won't get another.

Top Bottom