• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    My mother was a bird lover. She had all manner of bird feeders and baths set up around her back patio. There was all manner of birds around. Hummingbirds, painted buntings, cardinals, blue jays, you name it. Bird sanctuary.
    One day the white wing doves found Mom’s free food and bed hotel. Very quickly they overtook the place. Chased off all the other birds. Mom was not happy. Stupid birds were total slobs.
    She asked some guy I may or may not know to bring over a pneumatic white-wing eradication device and remedy her predicament.
    After the situation was returned to normal operating conditions the other birds returned. Much to dear old mom’s enjoyment.
    Hurley's Gold

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

UPDATES NEEDED

Everyone, please post your area of State and what you now see in terms of dove numbers.

I know it is early for migratory birds, but South Zone special season opens in a month on Sept. 2.

I dread the 600 mile drive to Brownsville. . . . . . . . .

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

OPENING DAY REPORT

We hunted just East of Bay View, Texas, towards Laguna Vista; sunflower fields.

Barely able to get limits of 13WW & 2 morning dove.

The heat didn’t reach the predicted 107F, it was only 97F where we were, shifting winds.

Going to try again, later today.

leVieux

<>

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My mother was a bird lover. She had all manner of bird feeders and baths set up around her back patio. There was all manner of birds around. Hummingbirds, painted buntings, cardinals, blue jays, you name it. Bird sanctuary.
    One day the white wing doves found Mom’s free food and bed hotel. Very quickly they overtook the place. Chased off all the other birds. Mom was not happy. Stupid birds were total slobs.
    She asked some guy I may or may not know to bring over a pneumatic white-wing eradication device and remedy her predicament.
    After the situation was returned to normal operating conditions the other birds returned. Much to dear old mom’s enjoyment.
    I have dove ( three types) swallows, hummers and quite a verity of birds I can't name. The only destructive bird I ever get are Mockingbirds. I use to think dove were stupid, until I walked out into the front yard yesterday a little before sunrise. Sounded like WWIII out side and I had about 200 dove in my yard.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Hunted morning of opening day in Haskell. Started blasting around 0700 and limited out by 0830. All 4 of us limited out by 0900. The birds were trying to land on my mojos and I couldn’t reload fast enough.

Hunted the same spot on the evening of the 2nd and didn’t see many birds. I shot 8 and retrieved 5 while my friend got 7.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    <>

Doves are my favorite, especially in South Texas.

But last three opener hunts have been awful.

Three years back @ Harlingen, got rained out second day. I had total of 6 doves for 3 hunts, tied for #2 in the big group. Gil was tops w/ 7.

Two years ago, @ ElCampo, I killed the first four doves that came over, four shots, & that was it for the three days.

Last year, near Pflugerville, popped one cap at a high flyer, & missed. For four hunts.

Even my dog tried to abandon me for lack of action.

Undaunted, this September, a group of us are going to Brownsville. I pray Mother Nature doesn’t send us a hurricane to the RGV !

leVieux

Good looking dog!

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Hunted morning of opening day in Haskell. Started blasting around 0700 and limited out by 0830. All 4 of us limited out by 0900. The birds were trying to land on my mojos and I couldn’t reload fast enough.

Hunted the same spot on the evening of the 2nd and didn’t see many birds. I shot 8 and retrieved 5 while my friend got 7.
    I am jealous. :)

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Coastal Bend dove hunting sucks.
    The season opens too late.
    The doves have come and gone by opening day.
    The resident doves evaporate with any hunting pressure.
    You gotta get up closer to IH-10.
    <>

Noooooo, find a good stock tank around milo maize (grain sorghum) fields. Wait until late afternoon !

Best shooting ever !

<>
    I use to dove hunt every year as a child back home in Mississippi. I started off being the retriever. I would run out there with my red Ryder and popp them in the head if they were still alive. I have not hunted dove or anything since I moved to Texas. Just isn't the same over here. Good luck to all of you who do go.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    <>

Didn’t we all ?

My Dad made me carry an empty .410 to continue learning muzzle control & safety.

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Oh how I miss dove season but can't afford to find a place in S Texas and drive that far. :(
    <>

I, and several of my friends here in S W LA, have noted that we have tons of both mourning & whitewing doves in our suburban small-town home yards; but few can be found in nearby agricultural fields.

When we go out during season to hunt them, they aren’t there.

My home has a 3.5 ac yard, on the edge of a very small town. Often, when I awake mornings & open my windows, there are 50 or 75 ww’s around our birdbath and out by the Bayou.

To my West, where my rural properties are; there are rice, corn, milo, bean, & a few sunflower fields; but hardly any doves.

Perhaps they have become urbanized ?

leVieux

<>

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Wife deep fried some to make dove nuggets which our boys really enjoyed with mashed potatoes and gravy. I grilled the poppers with jalapeño, bacon, onion and cream cheese. Don’t mind the extra char on the poppers, I got distracted with my beers. 71547959721__1B053557-C772-4FD3-897D-37B9EE24CCDA.jpeg 71547956744__DC225B30-AF7D-4804-AEC1-61E802633048.jpeg

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Been seeing a few birds .
    Tractor work on road maintenance ain't exactly conducive for bird watching but, when I look up for a minute, I see a dove or two.
    They're skittish, but they're there.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom