• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    We need this now. It's Sunday evening and I'm out of booze. This cannot stand!

Also, 12 packs are nowhere big enough. They need to put like 16 into a 12 pack.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Scrw it . . . I like stocking up for Sunday on Saturday . . . seriously, I think this law was enacted to make sure that people wouldn't get up on Sunday morning,. but a fifth of whiskey and go to church drunk . . .

This reminds me of an old Austin Lounge Lizard's song . . 100 miles of dry!

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Store owners should be free to open or closed when they choose. Nothing requires they open on Sunday. I'd love to buy a Chick-fil-a sandwhich on Sunday, but the company has decided they want their employees to have the day off.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    This was HUGE when it was passed back in KS. I haven't been buying much beer lately, and I never even knew there were still laws on the books like this in Texas...

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Store owners should be free to open or closed when they choose. Nothing requires they open on Sunday. I'd love to buy a Chick-fil-a sandwhich on Sunday, but the company has decided they want their employees to have the day off.

most car dealers are closed sunday too, but you have the option of going up the road for a new ride

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Last time I was in Oklahoma, you could buy cold 3.2 beer at a grocery store, but if you wanted to buy "strong" beer, you had to go to a liquor store and buy it warm.

Don't know if that's changed, yet.

Here in Texas, I make sure I have plenty of cold beer on hand for Saturday nights & Sunday mornings.

It is not at all an inconvenience, except for those that don't plan ahead & run short of brews just before the Blue Laws go into effect.

Ever tried to buy a beer in New Jersey?

Gotta go to a package store or to a bar.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    most car dealers are closed sunday too, but you have the option of going up the road for a new ride
    Car dealers (and motorcycle / RV dealers) close because Texas blue law forces them to close Saturday or Sunday. They would all be open 7 days a week if it was legal. Same goes for most liquor stores.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    At least one Sunday a month I think about going to the liquor store and then remember our retarded law. Religious laws should be ruled unconstitutional.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Guess I'm the lone dissenter here.....and am mixed on it, but:

My issue is with the employees involved. Already they live based on the whim of the employer based on when they are open. The Sunday closure law at least gives them one day a week "in concrete" that they can spend with family. We have a daughter that works retail, and frankly I'd give anything if she'd get into another field, but she's been with them a while, and HOPES that her next promotion will be out of store management and higher into the corporate structure where she'll no longer be subject to working any of the 7 weekdays.

Beyond that....sorry, guys - I do believe that the 7th day should be one of rest and belongs to God. Mock my position all you want, but my customers KNOW that if it's not an absolute emergency, I will NOT go out on a Sunday call, even if it means losing a customer. Any of the other 6 days, I'm there for them....but not on that day - and I think the same should be afforded to others.

Yeah - if offered, I'd vote for reinstatement of the Blue Laws. Even for those without religious issues, I think that *family* trumps business.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    A lot of the liquor stores oppose this as they see it as no gain to their sales with the added cost of operating an additional day. Theory is people are accustom to the law, and simply buy more on Saturday or any of the other days they are open. They (Store owners) think being open on Sunday would not net them incremental sales. However, I've read that in states that have repealed such laws, there actually is an incremental increase in overall sales. I don't know if it's a full days worth, but increases none the less.

For me, the law as it stands now is just another case of government dictating what a free market can do, so I'll support the repeal of the law. However, I don't drink a lot of hard liquor anyway, so the actual law is no big deal for me personally.

Top Bottom