• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    BIL had another heart attack. So I have to drive to FL and get some family heirlooms can't be shipped. Driving alone from Spring/Humble area to 100mi south of Orlando. Really could use some road and travel tips for this trip. Haven't done a long road trip for years. Anyone can give me road advise for the highways and preferred stops/gas points really appreciated. Safety and security advice too please. Just over 1000mi per google maps. says 15hrs.

Crossing 4 states, LA, MS, AL, FL. What are the carry regs? Do they all have reciprocity with TX?

Thanks all.
    Lynx Defense

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The good news is there are Buc-ee’s all the way. Personally if I had to do it I’d look into flying them renting a vehicle for the way back.

How much are you going to get? I couldn’t imagine that distance in a rented box truck. Dragging a trailer would suck equally, & both being a security risk every time you stop be it for food fuel or the night.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    First and foremost, sorry to hear about your brother-in-law!

I've driven from San Antonio to Jacksonville numerous times. It's a pretty mundane drive which is mainly interstate. That's just over a thousand miles and 15½ hours, and I would recommend breaking it up instead of trying to motor on through.

You are good to carry along the entire route, Louisiana and Alabama have reciprocity with Texas, and Mississippi and Alabama have permitless carry if you are at least 21 years old.

1712790123934.png

A while back, I would have to stop just before hitting Alabama, unload my pistol and put it in the trunk of the car for the entire 66 miles. It sucked and was pointless.

Safe travels!

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    In La you could run into traffic on the I-10 over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge and the Atchafalya Bridge. A bad wreck or traffic jam could delay an hour +. In Lafayette get gas, cracklins and boudin at Billy's on 49, 1/2 mile north of 10. If you want to stop in Lake Charles, Steam Boat Bill's has good food. I like the crawfish pistolet's(sp) and fried seafood. Watch for a speed trap in Welsh. There could be a couple traps in small towns from lake Charles to BR.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you can wait until late next week, I could run over, meet up and we could go - overnight if you wish on the way down, but come back non-stop (other than maybe a cat nap in a well-lit gas station, etc).

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    BIL had another heart attack. So I have to drive to FL and get some family heirlooms can't be shipped. Driving alone from Spring/Humble area to 100mi south of Orlando. Really could use some road and travel tips for this trip. Haven't done a long road trip for years. Anyone can give me road advise for the highways and preferred stops/gas points really appreciated. Safety and security advice too please. Just over 1000mi per google maps. says 15hrs.

Crossing 4 states, LA, MS, AL, FL. What are the carry regs? Do they all have reciprocity with TX?

Thanks all.
    Yes they do. There are some differences state to state, and I always go to this site and write me a cheat sheet of the laws of the different states I travel through.

Some states have ammo stipulations, mag capacities, different rules around where alcohol is served, open carry, duty to identify, castle doctrine, LTC vs. no LTC etc. Home work and a little common sense.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks

Thanks all.
    Safe travels my friend.
    You have a good head.
    You'll be fine.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    it can be done in one drive, if you want to. You can't relax once you hit Florida because you still have a ways to go. I recommend getting libby and download books on tape or some of your favorite Podcasts. Don't stop at that gas station at the end of the causeway in LA (the Tiger stop). I got shitty gas that clogged up my injectors.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Sorry to hear about your BiL.

As others have covered everything already, I'll just add my $0.02 based on recent SC runs.

Traffic in/around big cities will suck - even on the highway, no surprise.

Break up the trip - stop, stretch and walk around a bit.

A good radar detector is handy as well as having a 'rabbit' - just give them enough lead to spring the trap without being caught in it yourself.

Last edited:

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Last time coming back from FL, a bunch of Texans were running 85 mph most of the way back. Made for a quick trip.

Last time I made that trip was 09/12/01. Had flown to Orlando on 9/11. Drove back to Dallas at 100mph in a rental Corolla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom