• ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Last time I made that trip was 09/12/01. Had flown to Orlando on 9/11. Drove back to Dallas at 100mph in a rental Corolla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The 18 wheelers and others clogging up the left lane at 0.5 mph faster than the vehicle in the right lane, seem to prevent me from averaging more than 80 mph on most trips.
    Lynx Defense

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Made the trip to the Tampa Bay Area a few years back. Fairly easy drive out, and downright boring on some of the Florida state highways. Returning to Texas was a nightmare, due to all the ice and frozen rain that happened a few years back in the central Texas region. Return trip was averaging about 85 MPH until I hit the weather. Averaged about 80 MPH going in. I just stayed on the big road right through downtown there and back. It helped that I accidentally timed it to miss most of the rush hours traffic, too.
    I'll be making that trip again, one day in the not to distant future.

ETA:
    Carrying wasn't a problem in any of those states. https://www.handgunlaw.us/ Click link for more information.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    BIL had another heart attack. So I have to drive to FL and get some family heirlooms can't be shipped. Driving alone from Spring/Humble area to 100mi south of Orlando. Really could use some road and travel tips for this trip. Haven't done a long road trip for years. Anyone can give me road advise for the highways and preferred stops/gas points really appreciated. Safety and security advice too please. Just over 1000mi per google maps. says 15hrs.

Crossing 4 states, LA, MS, AL, FL. What are the carry regs? Do they all have reciprocity with TX?

Thanks all.
    <>

Don’t worry re ‘’carry’’ in any of those coastal states.

If you stay on the interstates it is quicker.

OTOH, old US 98 through Ocala is a pretty drive through ‘’Old Florida’’.

Watch out for multiple speed traps just East of Mobile, especially @ Bay Minette, AL. While passing Mobile, the old tunnel routing is often quicker.

leVieux

<>

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    BIL had another heart attack. So I have to drive to FL and get some family heirlooms can't be shipped. Driving alone from Spring/Humble area to 100mi south of Orlando. Really could use some road and travel tips for this trip. Haven't done a long road trip for years. Anyone can give me road advise for the highways and preferred stops/gas points really appreciated. Safety and security advice too please. Just over 1000mi per google maps. says 15hrs.

Crossing 4 states, LA, MS, AL, FL. What are the carry regs? Do they all have reciprocity with TX?

Thanks all.
    Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia and Florida are all permitless carry states. Handgunlaw.us is a good reference to refer too

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    IMG_2163.jpeg

Orlando

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I've a B's near me...never been inside...guess I'm missing out...

I'm one of those recalcitrant grumps who never jump on a bandwagon.

I'll bet if you look carefully, B's is just another corporate laughable entity...

Look, here comes our 'fan base'....

And, all is well in the 'kingdom' of band wagon-eers...

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I've a B's near me...never been inside...guess I'm missing out...

I'm one of those recalcitrant grumps who never jump on a bandwagon.

I'll bet if you look carefully, B's is just another corporate laughable entity...

Look, here comes our 'fan base'....

And, all is well in the 'kingdom' of band wagon-eers...
    You're missing out: Bucee's has suspiciously clean restooms, cheap beer, cheap soda, cheap road snacks. They also have horrendously overpriced snacks and food and chochskis and other nicknacks. Its not a bandwagon thing, they're genuinely good and pay employees really well. But I guess that makes me part of a fan base that likes good things.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

Thanks all.
    Prayer sent for you & your Family.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You're missing out: Bucee's has suspiciously clean restooms, cheap beer, cheap soda, cheap road snacks. They also have horrendously overpriced snacks and food and chochskis and other nicknacks. Its not a bandwagon thing, they're genuinely good and pay employees really well. But I guess that makes me part of a fan base that likes good things.
    Too big, too crowded at the pumps.

All I want when I stop is gasoline and maybe a restroom. Quick.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Too big, too crowded at the pumps.

All I want when I stop is gasoline and maybe a restroom. Quick.
    800 pumps and 800 restroom stalls is much better than 8 blocked pumps and a one seater restroom with someone taking a dump.

Fuel/ gas is usually cheaper too.

As long as you don't need to wash your windshield or buy lotto tickets Buc'ee's is a much better stop than most gas stations.

But to each their own.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    800 pumps and 800 restroom stalls is much better than 8 blocked pumps and a one seater restroom with someone taking a dump.

Fuel/ gas is usually cheaper too.

As long as you don't need to wash your windshield or buy lotto tickets Buc'ee's is a much better stop than most gas stations.

But to each their own.
    It is exceedingly rare have to wait for a pump at the smaller sites. And most have regular restrooms, not just one stall. And I don't have to walk a half mile from the pumps to the restroom.

Yep, to each his own.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It is exceedingly rare have to wait for a pump at the smaller sites. And most have regular restrooms, not just one stall. And I don't have to walk a half mile from the pumps to the restroom.

Yep, to each his own.

Having just returned from a road trip to AZ & NM, I'm here to say that WAY too many smaller stations have pumps out of order, etc. Lost count of the number of stations I'd pull into only to find that half the pumps were bagged, Frustrating as hell...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Buc-ee’s is a Texas based company. It’s well merchandise with things a road tripper would normally buy. They extract money from me very easily.

I’m always happy to see a Buc-ee’s when it’s time to drop ship a production run of Obama dolls. I tend to pick a cold sandwich over their hot foods. Nothing wrong with their bakery. I always buy their dried sausage and jerky. Plenty of drinks to choose from.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'll take Buc-ee's over any other stop for snacks, drinks, and restrooms. The place is immaculately clean, well stocked, and the employees speak English and seem to care. Just my $0.02

Top Bottom