• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    As some know, I'm new to Texas. My wife and I have been coming here to visit for about 40 years. As a result I've learned about what I needed to carry when we visit. But, living here is a bit different, so I have questions.

1) Pawn shops. Where we lived pawn shops could not loan money on guns and thus they didn't sell them. I'm just looking for recommendations on decent shops in the general area shop. I like older S&W semi autos and since they don't make them any longer used is my option. I know that pawn shops sell new and used, but I'm not a fan of newer guns.

2) LTC. I plan to get a TX license to carry even though they aren't required. If nothing else having one makes reciprocity and gun buying simpler. I'd like to do an in person class as it might give me more opportunities to meet like minded people. Recommendations?

3) Places to shoot. Plenty of commercial ranges, but a shortage of non profit clubs at which to shoot. It was the opposite where we lived. In fact, there were two clubs within 10 minutes of our house. One was about 1/2 mile away. The one I joined was 10 minutes away, but I had access whenever I wanted to shoot. What are my options in this area?

Thanks. I look forward to reading the answers and suggestions.
    ARJ Defense ad

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Hey Gary!
    So, pawn shops in Texas sell firearms. No restrictions on that.
    I too still hold my LTC. Just feel more comfortable with it.
    Last, depending on your location, ranges will vary on suitability and availability.
    Or you can network with some of the shooters on this board. Some of us have property and shoot at home.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    Thanks. I was looking at that club. Manor isn't all that far from us. The club seems to have what I want.

Regarding a place to shoot, the Austin Rifle Club, a membership only club, may suit your needs.

Check it out at https://austinrifleclub.org/

The web page will tell you all you need to know about the facilities and membership process. It is located near Manor.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Gun broker is always an option for older guns. Depending on the current market and which way the wind blows you may find some decent pricing. SW revolvers always seem to be at a higher premium than the semi autos there. I have a 908 I gave $300 for years ago and I will never sell it. Get ready for the steady rise in property tax out there. Used to be a sleepy town a decade ago, not so much these days.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    https://centraltexasgunworks.com/ is where I recommend going for your LTC. My wife and I took classes from there as well as our TCL, CHL at the time. ( this was many moons ago) it's a bit of a drive from your location but worth it. I did discover a pawn shop in Kyle that list a lot of guns but I'm kinda lazy to make the trek. It's called Money & More pawn

GaryS

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2016
    Hiding among the Hippos
    Thanks for the pointer.

Ben White isn't that far from us in Texas terms. ;) My daughter lived in an apartment off of there back when she moved to Texas ten years ago. $65.00 for the class including range frees and breakfast tacos! I don't know if anyone can beat that deal. ;)

https://centraltexasgunworks.com/ is where I recommend going for your LTC. My wife and I took classes from there as well as our TCL, CHL at the time. ( this was many moons ago) it's a bit of a drive from your location but worth it. I did discover a pawn shop in Kyle that list a lot of guns but I'm kinda lazy to make the trek. It's called Money & More pawn

Top Bottom